ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > DSL-AC68U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Only Single LAN Port works at a time New Topic
Doug
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/7/2017 3:42:00 AM # 1
Full setup:>- Fiber optic ISP that enters home via an ethernet cable>- Cable goes directly into AC68U in basement. >- 3 LAN ports have ethernet cables that go to various rooms in home (office, bedroom, living room). >- Living room cable goes into another AC68U in bridge mode (amplifies signal around house and spits out cables into DVD player, unit for garage door opener, and A/V receiver). >- Both Routers have SSIDs with same names>
>The issue I'm having is that only ONE of the LAN ports will be active at a given time for a wired signal. If I reboot the modem, only one of the LAN ports will be active. The one that is active can be any of the four and can go to any of the rooms. It will never let me go to multiple outputs at once. This is true both for the router in the basement AND the router in the living room. >
>Wi-Fi works just fine. No real issues there. Its just the lack of ability to simultaneously get the various LAN ports to put out signal. >
>Any help would be appreciated!!>
>Doug

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
babis3g
Level :
Tech Points : 1450
Posted:10/7/2017 4:29:00 AM # 2
i may be wrong but seems like you may need vlan tag feature & may not supported for the dsl modems, once you need to convert one lan port as incoming wan ... i will try to check with the team ... so you have bypass the rj11 dsl port & using it as router only?

Advice/Tips given are from my own experience & Not from Asus Support...I Do Not Work for Asus... Thanks
Grisu
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 175
Posted:10/7/2017 4:33:00 PM # 3
as you dont use modem-part of the unit maybe a help or worth to try:
others flashed to RT-AC68U merlin FW and so could use full feature set of that.

Doug
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/7/2017 11:40:00 PM # 4
Thank you for the idea. >
>Apologies for my naivete, but is there a place I can reference how one would go about "flashing to Merlin FW?"

Grisu
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/8/2017 3:33:00 AM # 5
a member here said: just download it and upload to modem like other FW.
Total reset before and after flashing, to set everything to default.
google for merlin rt-ac68u on mediafire
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin

He told me some months ago here, u can search if you want to, but there's not much more.

BUT ALL ON YOUR OWN RISC !!!

Doug
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/9/2017 9:44:00 PM # 6
In doing more messing with the router (the ac68) this past weekend I noticed that the lights for each port would sometimes go on and off. I tried pushing those back in and to my surprise it flicked back on while I was holding it. It seemed that if I held the wires right (pushing upwards on the cable) they were connected. Some stayed on when I let go (1, 2, and sometimes 3) but 4 always went out when not pushed.>
>
>Do you think It couild be a physical defect like this one http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12512>
>
>It sounds just like what I saw. But weird if have this on 2 routers. 

babis3g
Level :
Posted:10/9/2017 10:11:00 PM # 7
Thanks for the update / info ... i 've seen the video ... yes, maybe is the case ...
However note: if you are using load balance, sometimes does not work well this feature and indeed at old testings of mine, when i had 2 lines, i had to unplug / plug in the cables to work correct the load balance ... but to my understanding, you are not using load balance ...
Send feedback form (administration>feedback) for advise, i will inform the team with your post

Advice/Tips given are from my own experience & Not from Asus Support...I Do Not Work for Asus... Thanks
Grisu
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/10/2017 2:20:00 PM # 8
what you wrote it is definitely a HW-problem with bad contact to the pins.

change all plugs on the cables to better ones, if it dont help maybe the cables itself are bad.
you can use a small switch for testing, from 68U use a short LAN connection to the switch and all other cables connect to the switch as well.

Does this solve your problem than cables shoud be fine.
Connect a laptop with short LAN to all 68U ports one after the other, does it work well?
Than router should be fine and plugs are bad or at least not working with the asus.

And look to the LAN-speed of all ports on asus and laptop, is it stable 1Gb or 100Mb connection or even changing between?

babis3g
Level :
Posted:10/10/2017 5:26:00 PM # 9
post 27 are more advise if helps

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20170716060932511&board_id=11&model=DSL-AC68U&SLanguage=en-us&page=3

babis3g
Level :
Posted:10/11/2017 3:17:00 PM # 10
Hi, one question please regarding your settings

>- Living room cable goes into another AC68U in bridge mode

What setting / have you set at the bridge mode?

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.