Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Sabertooth X58  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How to change CPU fan speeds in BIOS? New Topic
Xue
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/29/2011 12:51:00 AM # 1
I have a Sabertooth X58 motherboard and I'm trying to figure out how to lower the fan speeds in the BIOS.  I've played with the settings in the hardware monitor q-fan but the fan never changes speeds.  Surprisingly the speedfan software does lower the fan speeds but it doesn't save my settings.  I'd like to know how I can boot up my computer where the fan speed isn't running at 100 percent.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18323
Posted:1/29/2011 1:25:00 AM # 2
Hi X..

I expect you have a three wire fan connected to the CPU Fan Header...  is that correct..?  Is the issue with the CPU fan alone.. or all the system fans...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Xue
Level :
Posted:1/29/2011 1:34:00 AM # 3
Just the CPU fan and it is 3 wires

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18323
Posted:1/29/2011 3:13:00 AM # 4
Hi X..

I don't beliee that there is any DC protocal for the CPU fan...  Just PWM.. so that means that 12vdc is always precent.. no voltage variation available.  3wire fans will therefore spin at full speed all the time.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Xue
Level :
Posted:1/29/2011 6:56:00 AM # 5
Sorry, actually upon closer inspection, the CPU fan uses a 4 pin connector.

Magnetar
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 458
Posted:1/29/2011 7:22:00 AM # 6
If you use the ASUS Fan Xpert program, provided with the SaberT, or available for download from the Download tab on the SaberT information page, you'll be able to control your PWM fan.

There are several fan profiles available as well as a user-defined one.  I use this all the time and it works great.  One glitch with it in my case is that ASUS has decided that a CPU cooling fan must run at a minimum of 600 RPM, or it complains when the PC is booted.  My CPU coolers fan will run below that speed when at idle or low CPU load.  This is a small annoyance that may not apply to you.

Try Fan Xpert, I like it.

CM Storm Sniper/ASUS SaberTooth X58/Intel i7-930/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ 6x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GT240 1GB GDDR5/3 X Samsung 830 64GB SSD in RAID 0 OS Drive/Western Digital 64GB SSD AP Drive/Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD/Seasonic X760 PS/LG E2350V & LG 2361VG Monitors/LG BD-DVD Drive & LG DVD Drive ||NZXT Phantom Case/SaberTooth P67/ Intel i7-2600K/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB + 2x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GTS450/2 X Crucial M4 128GB SSD RAID 0 OS Drive/Intel 510 120GB SSD App drive/Hitachi 2TB HDD/Seasonic X660 PS/LG DVD Drive
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.