Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Sabertooth P67  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]Sabertooth p67 temps New Topic
Graimer
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:7/31/2011 3:22:00 PM # 1
Hey. I've recently bought a new desktop system with a sabertooth p67, i7-2600, and asus 560ti TOP gpu. The system runs smoothly(execpt for an ssd problem), but what I've noticed is that many of my temps are what I believe is high. So I'd like to verify with you guys if the temps are okey or not, and what to do. CPU and GPU uses stock coolers. System is idle with theese temps. Btw, room temp is 28degrees celsius(very hot summer). Thermal radar shows me that usb3.0-2, usb3.0-1 and sata are 50-57 degrees all the time(even with room temp at 23degrees celsius). But today, vccsa is also in that area. Full list of current idle temps(room temp 28degrees): CPU: 38, motherboard: 37, vcore-1 + 2: 44, dram: 44, vccio: 44, pcie-1: 46 usb3-1: 56, vccsa: 51, pcie-2: 40(empty slot), sata6g and usb3-2: 53 I have not installed the assistant fan. I use a fractal r3, with 2 fans in the front intake, and the stock one in the back. edit: the temps over are idle, but I just ran Prime95 for 30seconds on default settings, and my cpu just went to 90degrees before I got to stop the stress test. Is this really the cpu, or is it a sensor on the motherboard, and what should I do? 90 under 30sek load seems pretty high :S

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 17840
Posted:7/31/2011 11:52:00 PM # 2
Hi G..

I can't say much about the temperature being reported through the 'Thermal Radar' sensors.. but probably the stock Intel cooler is not able to do the job at high stress.. nevertheless, 90c is above Prochot# and the processor should throttle.  TcaseMAX for that processor is about 73c.    If it isn't, then maybe that reading is incorect.  What sort of temperatures do you get if you run a game.. assuming you do that sort of thing...?

Hopefully, others can respond with their temperatures.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Graimer
Level :
Posted:8/1/2011 2:57:00 AM # 3
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/hwmk.jpg/ this is a hwmonitor after playing 3mins of bf3. thermal monitor doesn't show cpu core temps, so I had to use hwmonitor for this. screenshot is taken after, so looking at max temps will give you the gamingtemps i guess. but what is the motherboard components usually at? i got 2 120 intake, 1 exhaust(+gpu and psu).

Magnetar
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 458
Posted:8/1/2011 4:43:00 AM # 4
Graimer, I've owned this board for a few months now, so I can offer some perspective.  First, about the Thermal radar temperature sensors.  If you run the Thermal Radar option of AI Suite II, you can see where the various temperature sensors are located, by the little thermometers, and if you hover the mouse pointer over them, the name will be displayed.

No other mother board I am aware of has all these temperature sensors.  This one does, and now users are concerned about the temperatures they see.  But how do we know what the temperatures on all other mother boards are at these locations?  We don't!  And we never will.  I am pretty sure that most if not all other mother boards would show temperatures like this if they had sensors in these locations, with some variations due to design and construction differences.  How can anyone say that this board has problems or is over-heating when we have no idea what the temperatures are in these areas of other boards?

IMO, the SaberTooth P67 gives us some idea for the first time what the temps are at various areas of a mother board, and under different usage scenarios, such as with one or more high performance (hot!) video cards, or inadequate air flow within a PC case.  I think that multiple exhaust fans work better than the "positive pressure" style cases, with more intake fans than exhaust.  I use a case with multiple large exhaust fans, and my temps shown by all the temp sensors on this board are lower than yours.  The worst one is always the USB3.0 2 sensor, for some reason, at about 40C.  All the rest are lower than that, but I am not including the CPU temp here, since that varies more than the others.

The Intel stock CPU cooler was never designed to keep the CPU cool when running Prime95, which is a worst case situation for a CPU.  IMO, your case does not exhaust enough air with only one 120mm fan, so the temp of the air within your case must be pretty high, which does not help any CPU cooler.  How can any CPU cooler work well if the air it uses is at 40C?  I use a large CPU cooler with 120mm fan (up to 1900RPM), my case has two 200mm and one 120 x 38mm exhaust fans, is very large inside (high air volume) and my Prime95 temps are in the low 70's.  I only use one mid-range graphics card (GTS 450) which is no where near as hot as many others.

The Assistant fan does help, but don't get a 50 x 10mm fan, they are worthless for moving air.  A 50 x 15mm or 20mm will fit fine and move much more air.  I use a 50 x 15mm and none of my Thermal Radar temps are over 40C, again except the CPU.

IMO, you should add as many exhaust fans as you can, and get a better CPU cooler, which is the only way to improve your temperatures.

CM Storm Sniper/ASUS SaberTooth X58/Intel i7-930/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ 6x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GT240 1GB GDDR5/3 X Samsung 830 64GB SSD in RAID 0 OS Drive/Western Digital 64GB SSD AP Drive/Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD/Seasonic X760 PS/LG E2350V & LG 2361VG Monitors/LG BD-DVD Drive & LG DVD Drive ||NZXT Phantom Case/SaberTooth P67/ Intel i7-2600K/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB + 2x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GTS450/2 X Crucial M4 128GB SSD RAID 0 OS Drive/Intel 510 120GB SSD App drive/Hitachi 2TB HDD/Seasonic X660 PS/LG DVD Drive
Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/1/2011 7:47:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Graimer Posted: 8/1/2011 2:57:00 AM

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/hwmk.jpg/ this is a hwmonitor after playing 3mins of bf3. thermal monitor doesn't show cpu core temps, so I had to use hwmonitor for this. screenshot is taken after, so looking at max temps will give you the gamingtemps i guess. but what is the motherboard components usually at? i got 2 120 intake, 1 exhaust(+gpu and psu).

Hi G..

The Max temperature for the processor doesn't appear to be correct.. so I expect there is some software conflict going on there...  The core temperature are probably closer to correct... but are a bit high...  The 'motherboard' temperature didn't move.. not really realistic... 

So the first consideration is to use only one health monitoring application.. either HWMonitor or AI Suite like M suggests above...  Any application that can address the system BIOS can conflict with another trying to do the same thing.

I expect the warm temperatures in your area are part of the problem...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Magnetar
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/1/2011 10:44:00 AM # 6
You may be correct about some of those temperatures, meaning being off due to other programs being used.  I can tell you that in contrast to the socket 775 and 1366 CPUs I've used, the i7-2600k I use reports core temperatures lower than the CPU temperature.  The highest core temp will be equal to the CPU temp.  That is consistent with all hardware monitors I've tried, used one at a time, of course.

Notice that in the maximum temp column, the highest core temp is greater than the CPU temp.  That is unusual, you won't find that in the rest of the readings.  My core and CPU temps are always equal during long stress testing.

IMO, CPUID's Hardware Monitor will display a few temperatures that are way out in left field, as can be seen in the picture.  It's a big job supporting all the sensor processing chips used on mother boards, and the only one I know that keeps up with that is HWiNFO.

Checking other figures in that picture, I don't understand why the CPU is over heating, when the CPU fan is running at 49,663 RPM!  Who says the stock Intel fan is no good!

I expect the warm temperatures in your area are part of the problem...

In Norway?

BTW Ulrich, thanks for posting more recently in these forums, I have noticed that and it is appreciated.

CM Storm Sniper/ASUS SaberTooth X58/Intel i7-930/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ 6x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GT240 1GB GDDR5/3 X Samsung 830 64GB SSD in RAID 0 OS Drive/Western Digital 64GB SSD AP Drive/Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD/Seasonic X760 PS/LG E2350V & LG 2361VG Monitors/LG BD-DVD Drive & LG DVD Drive ||NZXT Phantom Case/SaberTooth P67/ Intel i7-2600K/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB + 2x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GTS450/2 X Crucial M4 128GB SSD RAID 0 OS Drive/Intel 510 120GB SSD App drive/Hitachi 2TB HDD/Seasonic X660 PS/LG DVD Drive
Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/1/2011 8:43:00 PM # 7
Hi M..

Thanks.. and back at ya!..  your participation here  is extremely helpful...  As far as the readings go, 49,000 RPM on the CPU fan is as screwy as are the other maximum fan readings and the processor temperature.. so I'm guessing that a software conflict is occurring...  It has been very warm in Scandinavia this Summer... 

Magnetar
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/2/2011 2:30:00 AM # 8
Well, thanks and you are welcome.  Now I understand why I've seen quite a few people from Northern Europe wondering about their CPU and PC temps.  It's extra hot in the US this summer too, many cities having 100+ F temps for days and weeks even.

Poor souls in Scandinavia, probably don't have AC since it has been unnecessary.  I bet the sales of PC fans and CPU coolers has increased over there.  Hang in there folks, winter is coming... eventually.

Graimer
Level :
Posted:8/2/2011 3:37:00 PM # 9

True! We do have AC, just to be clear :P Unfortunately, this is in my bedroom which just has a simple AC that couldn't handle the heat this summer.. Anyways, I'm gonna change my cpu cooler now. How would a NH-C12P SE14 hwork on the motherboard? Would it be better to go with a CM 212 Plus and a 50mm assistant fan?

Magnetar, I understand that you need exhaust, but shouldn't a GPU, PSU, 1x120mm and the vents in the back be enough? The reason I'm having positive pressure is due to dust, since even with a assistant fan(especially then), I fear that dust would block air under the armor, where I won't be able to clean it(blow with air). Am I totally wrong here or?

Magnetar
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/3/2011 4:20:00 PM # 10
You have AC?!   Uhm... cool.  I thought you people just took a hunk of glacier home and blew fans across it.  Sorry for the bad joke!!  (My mother is Danish and my Father is part Norwegian, so I can joke about Scandinavians!)   In some places in Florida, they have homes with metal roofs and run water constantly down all sides of the roof.  That is old-fashioned AC.

Are your exhaust fans and vents enough?  Well, I was just going by your temperatures, which are higher than mine, and I have more exhaust fans so... that's why I suggested that.  I hate dust too, but I think that the small amount of extra air the assistant fan moves (4 - 8 CFM) is nothing compared to case fans, so I am skeptical about extra dust, but I will see eventually.  I have my cans of  "air" ready for cleaning.

I would choose the Noctua before the CM 212 +, I have a CM 212 +, but was not impressed with.  It's very solid and strong but I don't like the CPU contact area, with the big gaps and grooves between the heat pipes.  The i7-2600k has three separate dies under the top of the CPU, or the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader), which are not mounted symmetrically and are different in size.  Some parts of the dies will be below the gaps and grooves, and IMO the cooling will be uneven or not the same as in other areas.  The Noctua costs much more, unfortunately.  CM has a new CPU cooler available, here is a review:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=797&Itemid=62

Your mother board sensor temps are not bad, but you can do much better for the CPU.  I'm sure your PC is quieter than mine, a trade-off with more exhaust fans.  You can always try one or two more exhaust fans, and remove them if you don't care for the result.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.