Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Red CPU LED light on, no POST New Topic
anderson
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/31/2012 4:53:00 AM # 1
Hello all,

Here's some background:

Been having some problems on and off with this. Basically, what will happen, I will go to work then come home to my PC's CPU LED light being on, on my motherboard. Then no matter what,I cannot boot into Windows, BIOS, anything. No POST at all.

I think my BIOS is something like 1102. I remember I downgraded from the recent BIOS version. However, I can't even get into Windows now!

This CPU LED just stays solid. Thing is, I've already replaced the CPU and it's still happening. This is a video I made about this problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TC2BzBUno&list=UUH6d5r4GIg-LJF54tOLDmqA&index=1&feature=plcp

As you can see, this video is dated for July 1st. This has been on going.

I'll leave the PC alone for quite a while. Days, a week or more, then one day will try to turn it on and voila! It just kinda comes on...no problems at all!

It's been on for maybe a week or so, so far, with no problems. Then I come home from work and bam, first thing I see is that damn CPU LED light on !!

I've replaced the CPU. I have an Advanced RMA in to Asus for the motherboard, but they're taking FOREVER.

What can it be? What would be causing this? HELP !!!

My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth 990FX, and my CPU is a AMD FX 8150 3.6

Never had any issues until this started....

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8150 8-Core CPU 3.6

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Video Card: Radeon HD 6850

SSD: 120 GB SSD

PSU: 1000W Nexus Tranquility PSU

RAM: 16 GB G. Skill RAM

HDD: 1 TB HDD

Case: DF-85 Case

Sata/DVD-ROM Drive

Razer Megalodon Headset

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18322
Posted:7/31/2012 5:00:00 AM # 2
Hi a..

I think the first consideration is your power supply. What may be happening is that it is failing on the 12vdc EATX12V bus.. the system tries to reboot and without that bus, the processor can't start.. hence the red CPU_LED...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
rtguille
Level :
Tech Points : 41
Posted:7/31/2012 6:21:00 AM # 3
>  I think my BIOS is something like 1102. I remember I downgraded from the recent BIOS version.

Please elaborate on this. Was it for some specific reason that you downgraded the bios?
If you can made it to boot, try to upgrade the bios (or at least reflash the bios) from inside the  UEFI/BIOS.

And since it "comes back" sometimes, please check that the PSU is correctly attached to the motherboard.
Disconnect the motherboard from the power outlet, wait some minutes. Then disconnect the ATX power and connect it again. (just in case that some pin has a loose contact).

Also check that there is nothing that can short the board, like a stray screw or some other piece of metal.

anderson
Level :
Posted:7/31/2012 9:34:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: rtguille Posted: 7/31/2012 6:21:00 AM

>  I think my BIOS is something like 1102. I remember I downgraded from the recent BIOS version.

Please elaborate on this. Was it for some specific reason that you downgraded the bios?
If you can made it to boot, try to upgrade the bios (or at least reflash the bios) from inside the  UEFI/BIOS.

And since it "comes back" sometimes, please check that the PSU is correctly attached to the motherboard.
Disconnect the motherboard from the power outlet, wait some minutes. Then disconnect the ATX power and connect it again. (just in case that some pin has a loose contact).

Also check that there is nothing that can short the board, like a stray screw or some other piece of metal.

I downgraded during one of those periods that I was able to actually access my PC. I thought that may have been the problem, because maybe a week or two before this all happened, I had upgraded my BIOS.

Alas,however,that did not fix the problem.

The PSU is correctly attached to the motherboard. I even opened the case, and took every single component out and re-wired the entire inside a couple days ago (keep in mind that this has been going on since 7/1/2012), and am still unable to fix this.

Asus' RMA is a joke, I've barely received any support, and they won't send me a new motherboard unless I either send my busted one to them or I do an advanced RMA and they send one to me, holding an amount on my CC, until I send them my busted one. Why couldn't they just send me one, and I place my busted motherboard in the same packaging and send it back? I've done that many times with other companies....

I'm honestly not sure what the problem is. I have an entirely new CPU, everything in my rig except my power supply is under a year old. My Power Supply, I purchased in 2010. That's it.

anderson
Level :
Posted:7/31/2012 9:34:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Ulrich Posted: 7/31/2012 5:00:00 AM

Hi ?..

I think the first consideration is your power supply. What may be happening is that it is failing on the 12vdc EATX12V bus.. the system tries to reboot and without that bus, the processor can't start.. hence the red CPU_LED...

Well, I wish I had a power supply sitting around to test it with...I'd rather not just throw money at a new power supply and that not be the problem...know what I mean?

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18322
Posted:7/31/2012 9:57:00 AM # 6
Hi a..

I do...  and that is why home diagnostics and repair options are limited for many people...  Unless you are into system building, you just don't have a stock of parts to swap in...  and that is about the only way to come to a diagnosis. 

A local PC Shop may be one consideration.. or you may have family or friends who have a supply that you could borrow for testing.. but since the advice you get here is worth about half what you paid for it, going out and buying another supply would not be a smart move... 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Beritz
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:7/31/2012 12:36:00 PM # 7
I do not know will help you or not. I had a problem after updating the BIOS to version 1208. Restart the computer and started having problems as you, Red CPU LED light does not POST. Urgent repairs attributed to the experts, with the 1208 BIOS, I killed two processors AMD FX 8150 and 6100 still saw the problem. Install another CPU immediately return a working BIOS version 1102. I am afraid that you, as I'm spending a lot of money. I must say thanks to ASUS, due to a bad BIOS ._____P.S Now, I'm afraid to flash your motherboard BIOS to the new version 1304

rtguille
Level :
Tech Points : 41
Posted:8/1/2012 7:56:00 AM # 8
Check the bios chip physically (no loose/damaged pins)
and maybe push it slightly in its socket just to be sure.

Aside from the PSU, maybe the bios chip itself it faulty.
That is a possibility.

phqchevys
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/31/2012 9:18:00 AM # 9
Update the BIOS. It's worth a try. Might have to "bum" a old Phenom CPU from a friend in order to be able to update it...

Mistral
Level :
Tech Points : 298
Posted:9/1/2012 7:38:00 PM # 10
I have 3 Sabertooth boards and have run every BIOS revision since they came out and I have had no problems with any revision. You really need to check out the power supply, without going into technical detail when the system powers up the board receives a signal from the PSU called a power good signal to verify the correct voltages are being sent to the board, if the signal does not check out a chip on the board constantly resets the CPU stopping it from processing the code to protect the components from damage hence the red light and no boot. Another thing you could try is to remove 2 memory strips and see if it is any better, populating all 4 mem sockets can cause the same symptoms, sometimes you have to adjust CPU, CPU/NB, VRM and memory voltages to stabilize 4 dimms.

CoolerMaster HAF X case, ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus BIOS 0905, Intel i73770K CPU @ 4.5Ghz 1.070v with water cooling, G.Skill Ripjaws TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX ram @ 2400Mhz 10-10-12-31-1T, 2x Corsair Force Series 3 SSD, Corsair Force GT SSD, 3x 1-TB Seagate barracuda's, MSI Twin Frozer II GTX770 Corsair HX850 PSU, 32inch Samsung monitor, Thermaltake Challenger pro keyboard, Cyborg R.A.T 7 mouse, Billion BiPAC 7800n router, 3 other systems networked.
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.