Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Memory Configuration ASUS Rampage III Extreme New Topic
Legoless
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/24/2013 8:31:00 PM # 1
Hello everyone,>
>
>I have been spending the last week with trying to get my computer running normally. But still the computer is running slow and even small installations take quite long, 10-15 minutes for 150 MB installation.>
>
>The specifications are following:>
>
>>ASUS Rampage III Extreme X58 Motherboard>
>Intel Core i7 970>
>2x12GB - Corsair 12GB XMS Memory kit for triple channel systems, 2000MHz, 9-10-9-27, 1.65V>
>PowerColor Radeon 7970 Vortex3>
>OCZ RevoDrive X2 100GB>
>WD 2TB Hard drive>
>Be Quiet 1000W PSU>
>
>As of this point, everything is running at default, using latest firmware/BIOS and latest drivers on freshly installed Windows 8 Professional x64.>
>
>If I take a look at CPU-Z I notice several things. The CPU is running at 3285 MHz, with 131.5 MHz bus speed and 25.0 multiplier. The QPI link is 2360 MHz.I assume that this is OK for i7 970 Gulftown CPU.>
>
>However, the second thing is the memory, it is declared for 9-10-9-27 at 1.65V, which should be running at 1000 MHz (2000 DDR). But what actually happens is that memory is running at 525 MHz (1066 DDR in BIOS) and 2:8 FSB:DRAM ratio. The timings are 7-7-7-20. I went to check this in Bios and this is the configuration for default settings. 24GB memory is recognized without a problem. However I am wondering about the timings, if I turn on the XMP profile option in Bios and the profile #1 is already displayed at 2000 MHz with 9-10-9-27 timings, the computer will not boot. The CPU is put at 143x23 in that case. What would be correct memory configuration for my system?>
>
>Could this be the cause for the bad responsiveness of the system?>
>
>Apart of the memory configuration I can only think of bad RevoDrive configuration or similar.>
>
>Please help!>
>
>Best Regards,>
>
>Legoless

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18262
Posted:1/24/2013 11:46:00 PM # 2
Hi Lego..

Yes..  I expect that memory is at the heart of the problem... especially since you are apparently trying to use two memory kits..  instead of one... 

Be sure that tthe memory kit(s) you are using are listed here..
http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?sc=us&id=1493037

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Legoless
Level :
Posted:1/25/2013 6:18:00 AM # 3
Yes, the memory is listed there (the top one). And I dont see what the problem could be, because both kits are identical and the motherboard should support 24 GB of memory.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/25/2013 10:49:00 AM # 4

Hi Lego..

I don't know if you can see the revision numbers of the memory chips for the kits...  but if you can.. or can install modules from each kit and use CPU-Z to check the manufacture date.. check that out and see if the memory kits were made at about the same time..

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Legoless
Level :
Posted:1/25/2013 8:26:00 PM # 5
Thank you for your answer. I am looking for the revision numbers, but they are not anywhere on the box. Cpu-Z doesnt show them either. The only difference between kits I can notice in one of the barcodes on boxes, but only 1 digit is different. I assume the kits were manufactured at approximately the same time, because they were purchased at same store at same time.>
>Regards,>
>Lego

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/25/2013 10:53:00 PM # 6

Hi Lego..

CPU-Z.. in the SPD Tab.. should show the Serial number and the Week/Year of manufacture..  See if you can find that information...

Legoless
Level :
Posted:1/25/2013 11:09:00 PM # 7
I am aware of that SPD tab and all the information there. But sadly, like I said, Week/Year of manufacture is not displayed for any of the 6 DIMMs.>
>Regards,>
Lego

Legoless
Level :
Posted:2/4/2013 5:32:00 AM # 8
Any other tips?>
>Thanks.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.