Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/1/2010 5:23:00 AM # 1
Hi,

OK so Ive been through an audeel.  Ill begin with the kit:

Rampage II Gene
Core i7 930 (NEW)
295 GTX (From working machine)
CORSAIR MEMORY DDR3 2000MHz 6GB 3X240 9-9-9-24 INTEL C-CMX6GX3M3A2000C9 (New)

So I put it all together and no post.  LEDs light up, I get a brief orange flash near the memory, and it all hums away.  No Beeps and no image on the screen.  I pluigged in the LSD poster, on boot it says welcome, then the timer starts.

Heres a quick rundown on what Ive done:
CMOS reset (several)
Battery out for 10 minutes and then back in
Mobo is on a cardboard box now with no HDD, no USB and no audio plugged in.
Ive popped the CPU out and had a look, no obvious damage, and not too much thermal paste.
Memory - Tried 2,4 and 6, 2 and 4, and just 2, also alternating sticks.

Few questions I have:

Is the original Bios version printed on the board anywhere?  I have a board with Check Number 0280.  Anyone know what bios this comes with?  I ask because the asus support says the 930 is supported from 1033 on, so maybe this board isnt picking up the CPU?

Ive ordered one of those little case speakers to get some more clues, but Ive spent a few days in forums and am out of ideas.  Has anyone been through this and can offer some more advice?  Even if the advice was to RMA the board, at least it rulkes out the other bits.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ed
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 417
Posted:7/1/2010 6:16:00 AM # 2
You can usually see the BIOS version on a thin white sticker, its the last 4 digits.

Try booting with a single stick of RAM in the B1 or A1 slot and if it boots set your RAM to its recommended settings in the BIOS and install the rest.

Showy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/1/2010 6:25:00 AM # 3
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response,  the last for digits are 0601.   Has anyone had an issue with this bios and the 930? 

Ive tried just the one ram stick in the first blue or white slots a few times, same story, no post, no message on the lcd poster.

Thanks

Ed
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/1/2010 6:39:00 AM # 4
0601 is a BIOS version for your board and as you said earlier you need BIOS version 1033 for that CPU, so thats probably whats wrong. You should ask the seller if they will update the motherboard BIOS for you if you return it, as you will need a compatible CPU to update it.

Showy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/8/2010 5:21:00 AM # 5
Hi all,

So yeah ok I have got a 920 and I get the same problem.  No beeps, no video, no post.  Anyone else have any ides?  I might just get a new board, all other connected components work.

Shin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 437
Posted:7/8/2010 9:57:00 AM # 6
power supply. did you plug in all the power connectors to the mainboard + video card?
does the video card fan try to spin and stop?

if there is a power draw or possible short, this can happen.

remove board from case, try with just i7-920, 3x if you have ddr3 1333 would be nice to test(and update bios with), vid card fully inserted, no other pci/pci express inserted. and a new power supply ..mm 600+ watts less if you have high efficiency (80+silver for 500watt)

and ofcourse a cmos reset before power on. =)

Showy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/8/2010 1:23:00 PM # 7
Power supply is fine, its been in use with my last board.  I have the 8 pin cpu power and the main board power, along with the gpu power.  Gpu spins up with a green light, as apposed to a red, as it will with no power.  The board is currently sitting on cardboard.  CMOS has been cleared several times.

Just to rule it out, will the board post without a cpu heatsink?  I have one on at the moment, but maybe there is some contact issue?  Still feels like the board is a lemon to me.

Showy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/8/2010 1:39:00 PM # 8
I should mention if i havent already that I bought some new ram off the vendors list and same thing happens.

Ed
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/8/2010 6:25:00 PM # 9
Don't turn it on without the heatsink as you could fry your CPU.

Place the motherboard outside the case on an insulated surface and remove everything but the 2 main power connectors and the CPU and its heatsink. If you still don't get any beeps then your problem is with either the PSU, motherboard or least likely CPU. If your sure the PSU is OK then your motherboard is the most likely culprit.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html

One last thing, did you clean off the old thermal paste and apply fresh paste when you put in your new CPU?

Showy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/9/2010 1:47:00 PM # 10
Hi,

Yes I did, I added fresh paste.  I  only ask about the heatsink because I seem to remember back in the days of p4s, once my pc wouldnt boot and it was down to not having one of the pegs twisted in right.

Ok anyway, so ive gone with the rma option, it will be in the post today.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.