Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Rampage Extreme  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]U3S6 + X48 New Topic
Taurus
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/1/2010 6:12:00 PM # 1
The Asus U3S6 is compatible with Asus motherboards based on Intel X48 chipset. The U3S6 Card is a PCI Express x4 card.
Is the Card compatible with my Asus Rampage Extreme???

Thx for help

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Rip
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:8/7/2010 8:44:00 PM # 2
for the sata controller you are planning to install just use the spare 16X pcie slot. You only use 4X for your application. and it plugs in fine. I am using an ARECA 8X controller on 2 velociraptors in raid 0 in the same slot and it works perfect.

SabertoothX79 w/ I7 3820 @ 3.8GHZ (stock only no OC):Win 7 64bit 16GB ram Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B : Corsair H100 Cooler: Bios 4210: Radion HIS HD-7970: Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD: Velociraptor 300GB: Corsair HK1000W PSU: Cooler Master HAF 932 Case:28" Hanns G Monitor
shdowflare
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:8/31/2010 6:03:00 AM # 3
Will I get the full read throughput of my SSD (365MB/s over SATA III vs. 255MB/s over SATA II) if I install this card into my PCI-e x16 slot on my Rampage Extreme?

Since the RE is not listed as a compatible system board for this add-on card, I'm wondering if there's some PCI-e bridge bottleneck in my model of system board, which will prevent my SSD from running at it's fully rated read rate?

I suppose the only way to tell for sure is test it out, lol!

I love computers and video games!
shdowflare
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:9/3/2010 7:19:00 AM # 4

So I dug in and learned some new things, so I figured I'd share what I "found out" about my "problem"...

Anyway, as I've been spending a lot of time researching this issue, I headed on over to Wikipedia.  There, I found an article on PCI-e 2.0, which clearly states that it has maximum per-lane transfer rate of 500MB/s, rather than what I originally thought - 250MB/s.  Apparently, 250MB/s was actually the limit for legacy PCI-e 1.x connections.  This means that any single-lane PCI-e x1 card (providing it is a PCI-e 2.0 device) should allow me to run up to 500MB/s of data throughput, as long as I connect it to a PCI-e 2.0 slot.  And 500MB/s should certainly be enough to support my SSD's 355MB/s max read performance...

>In fact, I now know that I absolutely cannot use the Asus US36 as originally hoped; however, I also found the StarTech PEXSAT32 PCI-e x1 SATA 6Gbps add-in card.  On this card's tech specs page, there's a notation at the very bottom of the page which confirms my calculations above.  It states that PCI-e 1.x slots would limit the card to 2.5Gbps (250MB/s), whereas the same card in a PCI-e 2.0 slot would allow it to run at the full PCI-e 2.0 maximum lane rate of 5Gbps (500MB/s).  Now granted, 5Gbps still does not the full possible throughput of SATA III (6Gbps) - as that would only be possible on a 4x, 8x, or 16x PCI-e card, where your total possible bandwidth is multiplied further.  In  this case, even just a PCI-e x4 card would support up to 2GB/s of data transfer, which is well over the 600MB/s possible in the new ATA III standard.  Regardless though, my Crucial C300 caps out at 355MB/s so the StarTech PCI-e x1 card's 5Gbps (e.g. 500MB/s) bandwidth limitation doesn't impact me much, if at all.

>In case any of you are interested, - for your reference, here are the links I used to do the solve my SSD SATA 6Gbps throughput mystery:

>PEXSAT32 Technical Specifications:>http://www.startech.com/item-specs/PEXSAT32-2-Port-SATA-6-Gbps-PCI-Express-SATA-Controller-Card.aspx>
PCI-Express 2.0 Wiki:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_2.0

I hope this helps someone, like it helped me!

All the best!
B

I love computers and video games!
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.