Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]ROG Speeding HDD New Topic
jfromeo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/16/2008 10:19:00 AM # 1
Directly from ASUS Rampage Extreme manual:

ROG Speeding HDD secures the data stored in your hard disk drive and enhances hard drive performance. saving you the trouble of complicated configurations. With its friendly graphical user interface. you can easily make hard drive backups or increase the hard drive's transfer rate.

Is ROG Speeding HDD a friendly way of setting up a RAID-0 / RAID-1 array? Would it benefit my 2xVelociRaptor RAID 0 (from ICH9R southbridge) if I enable ROG Speeding HDD from BIOS?

Many thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
java_az
Level :
Posted:9/16/2008 11:25:00 AM # 2
No it would not make a differance since that is on the marvell controller. You could hook your drives up to the Marvel  speedy ports remake your raid 0 ..but i hear the marvell is not bootable. so you would have to have some other drive for windows to write the mbr too. Kind of a pain and im not sure how much of a differance it really makes. I might do my next install on the speedy ports, do some hard drive benchmarks with my raid0 now on the intel and do some on the speedy see if it is even worth the hastle.

ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME ..Q6600 Go @3.84Ghz ....2 GIG OCZ FLEX 1600MHZ 6-6-6-18 ...2x150 gig WD Raptors Raid 0...ASUS HD 4870 ..37 inch JVC HDTV 1920x1080 ...ANTEC 1200 CASE
devnull
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:9/16/2008 12:34:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: java_az Posted: 9/16/2008 11:25:00 AM

No it would not make a differance since that is on the marvell controller. You could hook your drives up to the Marvel  speedy ports remake your raid 0 ..but i hear the marvell is not bootable. so you would have to have some other drive for windows to write the mbr too. Kind of a pain and im not sure how much of a differance it really makes. I might do my next install on the speedy ports, do some hard drive benchmarks with my raid0 now on the intel and do some on the speedy see if it is even worth the hastle.

HUH? i have 2 80 gig plugged into the speeding ports in raid 0 and it reads them both as a single 160 gig.Makes all the difference in the world.My install times on XP cut alm0ost in half in Raid0
All you have to do is set it up in bios.One reason why i got this board.Plug in 2 drives and set it to speeding manual input in bios and done.Reboot and format in raid 0.2 velociraptors plugged into raid 0 would be sickening fast.
And yes it is Very bootable Worked for XP and Vista.just set it all up in bios and set set first primary hard drive to Speeding 0.
Dont have to load no drivers or nothing.
They also have a backup mode wich runs them in raid 1 but be like wasting a drive IMO just use a 1000 GIG plugged into another sata port for back up storage.

java_az
Level :
Posted:9/17/2008 12:27:00 AM # 4
Just to clarify he was wondering if it would make a differance if he enabled it with his drives hooked up to the Intel raid controller which it wouldnt he would have to hook them to the mavell speedy ports and redo the OS. I do find it hard to believe that the speedy in raid 0 is twice as fast as the intel in raid 0. But i am going to make this my project for the day. I will back my files do harddrive benchmarks with everest and si soft sandra on this os on the intel controller in raid 0 Then hook hook my two WD raptors to the marvel Speedy ports install windows onto a raid 0 and do the same benchmarks

ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME ..Q6600 Go @3.84Ghz ....2 GIG OCZ FLEX 1600MHZ 6-6-6-18 ...2x150 gig WD Raptors Raid 0...ASUS HD 4870 ..37 inch JVC HDTV 1920x1080 ...ANTEC 1200 CASE
java_az
Level :
Posted:9/18/2008 12:20:00 AM # 5
Here we go my  results From the the tests i did yesterday. I am going to link this to a differant forum so you can see the screenshots since we cant get photos in this forum.
 It looks like the ROG speeding HDD has a transfer cap @ 133MBs So two high performance hard drives are not going to get there full potential out of the Speedy controller. I would think Two 7200 Sata I drives would fall below this cap and if those are the drives i had i would for sure go with the Speeding HDD on them. This is still up in the air though without some benchmarks This opinion is based on the test results From two WD 150Gig  Raptors  http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3295631&postcount=730

devnull
Level :
Posted:9/18/2008 6:08:00 AM # 6
i have 2 80  gig drives to test.i will do it now and see with driver and without and see what is faster.ill post results later,.

Miltonlumky
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/18/2008 8:07:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: java_az Posted: 9/18/2008 12:20:00 AM

Here we go my  results From the the tests i did yesterday. I am going to link this to a differant forum so you can see the screenshots since we cant get photos in this forum.
 It looks like the ROG speeding HDD has a transfer cap @ 133MBs So two high performance hard drives are not going to get there full potential out of the Speedy controller. I would think Two 7200 Sata I drives would fall below this cap and if those are the drives i had i would for sure go with the Speeding HDD on them. This is still up in the air though without some benchmarks This opinion is based on the test results From two WD 150Gig  Raptors  http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3295631&postcount=730

Hello java, your tests are very interesting, indeed. I haven't used Speedy function on my Extreme 'cause I thought it would have been the same as a raid 0 on the standard ICH9 controller, so I opted for the latter.
I have 2 Maxtor Diamondmax 22 500 gb - 7200 rpm, on the Seagate site it says that it can reach a sustained data rate of  105 MB/s; do you think it can be better for performance to switch them to the marvell controller with my model of hd? Thanks in advance

java_az
Level :
Posted:9/18/2008 8:21:00 AM # 8
Those are sata II drives i would say your going to be over the 133MB/s  with Two of them. I have been trying to dig up some specs on Speeding HDD But i cant seem to find a thing. You could download Si soft sandra and bench your drives on the intel if you get more then 133MB/s on the first part of the drive your read speed is going to be better on the ICH9. I am going to Redo these tests and get a Write speed test in there. I think thats going to tell it all at least for me if the write speed is the same on both it might be worth it to lose a little bit of read speed and have a OS that boots up quicker. Might be tomorrow before i have some results on this.  

Miltonlumky
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/18/2008 8:50:00 AM # 9
Thanks Java, I'll look for the results of your tests tomorrow.

Miltonlumky
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/19/2008 12:52:00 AM # 10
I've tested my drives with Sandra and you were right: speed in the first part is 145 MB/s. I think I'll stay with ICH9, unless your findings with the write tests reveal some surprises.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.