Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Rampage III Formula  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Rampage III formula boot problem New Topic
will
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/4/2011 10:50:00 PM # 1
Here is my problem. I press the power button on my pc case and the lights on the motherboard turn on aswell as the fans though  nothing displays on screen.

To make it work i have to first switch the power OFF at the PSU wait for the motherboard lights to fade. Then turn the PSU ON, then the case power button ON  and it works no problems.
Is there anyway to fix this so i only have to use the case power button.

The specifications of the PC are
CPU: Intel core i7 930 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Rampage III Formula
Ram: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3
GPU: 2x 5870 in crossfire.
PSU: Corsair HX1000w.
HDD: Western digital caviar blue 500gb

A reply would be good im going to call technical support tomorrow.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ghe
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3703
Posted:4/4/2011 11:09:00 PM # 2
Hi W, try to start it with a minimum configuration (one RAM, one GPU, HDD) no other USB or PCI cards and see if it's the same.

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18321
Posted:4/7/2011 4:12:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: will Posted: 4/4/2011 10:50:00 PM

Here is my problem. I press the power button on my pc case and the lights on the motherboard turn on aswell as the fans though  nothing displays on screen.

To make it work i have to first switch the power OFF at the PSU wait for the motherboard lights to fade. Then turn the PSU ON, then the case power button ON  and it works no problems.
Is there anyway to fix this so i only have to use the case power button.

The specifications of the PC are
CPU: Intel core i7 930 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Rampage III Formula
Ram: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3
GPU: 2x 5870 in crossfire.
PSU: Corsair HX1000w.
HDD: Western digital caviar blue 500gb

A reply would be good im going to call technical support tomorrow.

Hi Will..

That is either a power supply signaling problem or a BIOS problem...  If you have another power supply available, or could borrow one, swap it in and see it that sort of behaviour continues.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Justin
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/13/2011 3:31:00 AM # 4
I'm having the same sort of problem. I've got to open my case and press the start button on the board every time. It's getting annoying. CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20G Motherboard: Rampage III Formula PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850W What would the possible BIOS problem(s) be? I've been over and over things and can't seem to pin down anything that seems like it would effect it. Is there a known compatibility issue with Corsair power supplies? I'll have to see if i can change it out with an antec that's in another machine and test.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/13/2011 8:04:00 AM # 5
Hi J..

There have been compatibilitiy issues with Corsair power supplys...  The power good signaling is either out of the proper voltage or timing specification...  The BIOS has to latch that data bit in order to start the system boot.. and if it can't or doesn't, then the system won't start. 

So see if another power supply makes any difference...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Neders
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:4/21/2011 9:57:00 AM # 6
Hi, I am having the same issues. New build.   Have not tried what others are doing.  I did as requested on pulling the video card, clean the gold connectors with rubber?  Eraser?  Also have an Asus video card and pulled that just to see if I could get the thing running. Had one memory stick in also as suggested.  I turn on power and the lights on board go on.  Hit the power button on front of case and it tries to start for a second and then nothing.  Have a Rosewill PR600V2-S-SL power supply 600W.  I did not do the suggest of pulling the cooler and putting more thermal on the cpu because I did it right the first time, it hasn't even run yet and I don't think it matters on getting the board to start or does it?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

PS:  should I be a little concerned about having only 600W to run it?  Maybe should go with larger power supply?  Also suggested to check the bios battery but all I see is the cmos battery.

Ramapage lll Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 Sata 6GB's , Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2 GHz quad core, Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA Internal hard drive, Zalman CPU Cooler, ASUS EAH6870 DC/2D12S Radeon HD 6870 1 GB 256 bit GDDR5 PCI Express REady CrossFireX Video card, Cool master Haf case along with Coolmaster 850 W PSU
Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/21/2011 10:07:00 AM # 7
Hi N..

I think you have a short to the case..  that generally explains an immediate shutdown of the power supply...

Neders
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/21/2011 10:21:00 AM # 8
Thank you for response, not sure what to do in that instance.  I did try the paper clip test with one end in the green and the other in a black and the power supply started up.  One other question and not sure if it means anything.  The 20 pin connector for the main power.  As I look at it the same side where I put the paper clip, if you go the black looking at that row and then go to the end it starts with two reds and then the next space is empty.  Does not look like it ever had a wire going to it.  Is this normal because on the board, it does have a slot with a pin there.  Can you walk me through what to do about the short?  Replace the case?  Also, do not have the cover on but I have run systems without the cover on for ages without an issue.  Thanks again.

Ramapage lll Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 Sata 6GB's , Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2 GHz quad core, Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA Internal hard drive, Zalman CPU Cooler, ASUS EAH6870 DC/2D12S Radeon HD 6870 1 GB 256 bit GDDR5 PCI Express REady CrossFireX Video card, Cool master Haf case along with Coolmaster 850 W PSU
Neders
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/22/2011 12:14:00 AM # 9
Ok, after some further examination, and reading a bunch of posts, with my case I need to reinstall the board a little better with those brass receivers on the bottom of the board that screw into the case and then the screws attaching the board screwed into them.  Right now, I just had screws going directly through board into the case.  I have another oldie but goodie Asus A8N32-SLI that I am using as I write this that has went through hell and still works great.  That board I have going into its case using those brass receivers.   Also knowing I am going to be adding a lot of stuff to this build, ordered another PSU with 1000 W because 600 is not going to cut it and a larger case to accommodate all.  Hopefully will arrive soon and then reinstall everything.  I still have about 2 weeks to rma anything I purchased from New Egg if its not the case or PSU so will know more after all is back together.   I did take note on another post you were helping someone else and he went from the formula to the extreme and is happier with his decision.  Also took note several others all have the same issue with the boot up and determined minor issues causing the problem.  The Problem is finding that minor issue. :)  We will see in a couple days if I need to go the same route with switching the board.  Thanks for your help Ulrich, appreciate it.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/22/2011 6:28:00 AM # 10
Hi N..

Right..  you must have standoffs installed or the back of the board will short to the case and cause an almost immediate shutdown..  The power supply replacement is a good idea as you want a modern EPS specification power supply for the board.  Post back how you get along.

1 2 3 4  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.