Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8Z77-V PRO  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]P8Z77-V Pro USB 3.0 Problem New Topic
Shannon
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/8/2013 7:25:00 AM # 1
I recently completed a new build using an Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard and I am having an unusual problem with one of the USB 3.0 ports. My case is a Lian Li PC-7HX which has a front 2 port USB 3.0, mic, and headphone in header.

The problem is: when plugging in a Seagate GoFlex Desk USB 3.0 external hard drive in the left USB 3.0 port, it does not recognize the drive and keeps making the USB connect/disconnect sound. The "safely remove hardware" icon seems to keep flashing on and off like it is trying to connect, but then keeps disconnecting. The odd thing is, the drive works in the other port (the right one) with no problem. This header is connected to the mid-board USB 3.0 connector on the right side of the board near the SATA connectors.

In an attempt to trouble shoot, I tried the drive in every other USB 3.0 port on the back of the board and it worked without a problem. Thinking the header might be busted, I then opened the case and plugged in the header to the other mid-board USB 3.0 connector (the one at the bottom of the board near the front panel audio connector). Here, the drive worked fine in both the right and left port so it doesn't look like the header is at fault.

I then plugged the header back into the original mid-board port- still didn't work in the left USB port. However, my SanDisk USB flash drive and WD Passport Drive both work in the left USB port...? These two items are both USB 2.0, so maybe the USB 3.0 portion of the port is broke?

But, get this- at one point after unplugging the GoFlex from the left USB port and then quickly plugging it back in- the drive was recognized and working? WTH?

Can ports within USB hubs become broken like this, or is something else the culprit?

As far as drivers and System I am running Windows 8 Pro so it has the built in USB drivers. I also have:
BIOS 1708
Intel INF 9.3.0.1025
Intel Management Engine Driver 8.1.2.1318
Management Engine Firmware 8.1.0.1248
Rapid Storage Technology 11.7.0.1013

Thank you for any help in this frustrating matter!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Steve
Level :
Tech Points : 45
Posted:1/8/2013 8:45:00 AM # 2
Update the USB Firmware and drivers:

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver:1.0.6.245
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21129

ASMedia USB 3.0 Driver:1.16.2.0
http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/asmedia/Asmedia_usb3_1.16.2.0(www.station-drivers.com).exe

ASMedia USB 3.0 Firmware:120816.02.02.6d
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79/Asus_USB_3_FW_Update_Tool_v1.zip

P8Z77V Pro, P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3. 2600k processor both@48XGHz on water
Shannon
Level :
Posted:1/8/2013 12:52:00 PM # 3
Thanks for the reply, but I have Windows 8 which won't let me install the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver.  I tried, but it says my system doesn't meet the requirements.>
>I did try the ASMedia driver and Firmware and that actually allowed me to update on Windows 8 surprisingly- I hope that didn't mess up my system.  Haven't tried the drive in the problematic port, but will and update here. >
>Do you know if both mid-board USB 3 connectors run off the Intel USB 3.0 controller, or ASMedia?

Saltgrass
Level :
Tech Points : 201
Posted:1/8/2013 12:53:00 PM # 4
You might also check the pins on the motherboard.  Maybe one is broken or bent on the bad connector

X99-Pro i7 5930k, Z87-Expert i7 4771, Nvidia GTX 680 (2) Win 7/8/10
Shannon
Level :
Posted:1/8/2013 1:51:00 PM # 5
Well installing the ASMedia driver and firmware did not fix the problem.  I also looked at the pins and they look fine- exactly like the other connector on the board that doesn't have a problem.  Any other suggestions?

Loveteck
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 39
Posted:1/8/2013 2:54:00 PM # 6
I am experiencing the same kind of problem with USB3 ports. They seem to work OK until I try to make a system backup on an external 1Tb USB 3.0 Hitachi drive. All backups fail.
My system: Windows 7 PRO, no overclocking, 2 x 4Tb Sata drives (RAID 1). BIOS 1708.
- The Microsoft std backups crash before completing
- The backups made with Acronis TrueImage complete but produce corrupted files which cannot be used to recover.
The size of the system/data files I need to backup is now around 100Gb.
I also noticed the drive disconnecting by itself and Windows 7 reconnecting it (which causes the backups to fail).
This happens on ALL USB3 ports.
I tried two different USB drives, same problem on both.  They both work perfectly on a different machine.
The backups work fine if I connect an extra SATA drive and use it to save the backups, so it is not the software.
I do believe that this board has a major problem with USB3 and (as usual) Asus won't recognize it or do anything to fix it.
I also tried the newer Intel and Asmedia drivers. That did not help.
I do not overclock or use any of the Asus boost software.
I will probably return the board, which is a terrible waste of time and money.
This is sad as the specs of the board looked very good. Unfortunately its on paper only.

Shannon
Level :
Posted:1/10/2013 10:57:00 AM # 7
Since I had only recently installed Windows 8, I decided to do more testing by removing that installation and doing a clean Windows 7 install. Bottom line is I still have the same problem using all of the updated drives with Windows 7.

Some new info: at first the GoFlex drive worked perfectly fine for a few hours of having me plugging it in and out or just leaving it in. However, all of a sudden, it started the same cycle of disapearing. Sometimes I would plug it in and be able to access whatever was on the drive, then it would dissapear and I would get device could not start code 10 warnings in device manager. Other times, right when I plugged it in, it would say the drive needed to be formated. Sometimes, it would just work. Other times it would say the driver needed to be reinstalled.

I also had another Goflex drive that I hadn't opened yet, so I decided to try it out- same result. I did notice that it's port #0006 hub #0001 that is having the problem. Whenever I plug in a USB 2.0 device it is saying port #0002 hub #0001 is in use and I have not experienced any problems with those devices, only when using a USB 3.0 device.

Since this occurs in both Windows 7 and 8 with appropriate drivers, it appears to me that the problem is definitely related to the Asus board. It can only mean that the board is broken, or that's just how the board is (meaning faulty design), or maybe the BIOS needs to be updated by Asus? I would like to know your opinions on whether or not I should go on a exchange/RMA spree, or just use the other ports in the hope that this is a BIOS issue that may get fixed in the future?

Steve
Level :
Posted:1/18/2013 11:54:00 AM # 8
Funny thing the other day, I picked up a new laptop which used Renesas USB 3 drivers...same one we use on this board.  I had same hard drive you're using and it experienced the same thing.   Hard drive randomly was found then removed....back and forth.   Figured it needed the updated USB 3 Driver as I suggested earlier...and it did not fix it. 

What did fix it was to go into the utility program in your start menu and disabled USB 3 power management functions (tick the box for this).  This fixed it instantly, apparently, the power management feature does not like this drive.

Give it a try.  Good luck!

Loveteck
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 39
Posted:1/18/2013 2:07:00 PM # 9
Steve,
As I also have problems with USB3 external drives, (HGST 1Tb randomly disconnecting) could you please be more specific and explain how you disable the power management. I am using Windows 7 PRO and could not find a place to do it.
Thanks

Steve
Level :
Posted:1/19/2013 12:27:00 PM # 10
Loveteck,

When you install the driver, you'll have in your program list in your start menu "Renasus Electronics", next initiate the USB host controller utility under the folder tree.  When the utility starts, you'll have the option to un-tick the power management option.  I believe there's one for Intel as well.

When the power management unction is turned off, I have zero issues with random disconnects.  I'm running 7 64 bit.

You could also probably go to the driver itself and turn off the power management function, but the above description is pretty simple.

I see that you've not been too happy with this board.  I think it's a fantastic board and as you can see, I'm overclocked quite a bit from my signature.  The bios version you're using is terrible so I would switch to an earlier bios (not sure about the newest...I don't know if they fixed the problems they had).

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.