Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8Z77-V PRO  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Windows 8 Problems New Topic

Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/30/2012 3:33:00 PM # 1
Hi, just wanted to share some Problems a ran into, could be useful if somebody is planning on installing Microsofts new OS. 1. The Hybrid Boot Feature doesn't work in combination with this Board. Every time i tried to Shutdown or letting my PC go to Sleep it woke up until I disabled that Feature (which is quiete nice because the PC boots up fast!). I believe this is BIOS related and Asus need to know about this to fix the problem with a Bios Update. 2. The Driver from the official ASUS Site for Win8 are a mess. The Intel LAN Driver gave me a shitstorm of Bluescreens, so i had to stick with the Windows Standard ones. The Rest of the Driver were mostly old versions in some cases i even couldn't install them. This Board claims to be Windows 8 Ready, i think there is work to do.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Saltgrass
Level :
Tech Points : 186
Posted:10/30/2012 11:19:00 PM # 2
 A couple of questions first, please.  When you say Hybrid boot, to what exactly are you referring, or what bios setting controls it.  Are you using UEFI or MBR for your install.  What Bios version are you running?

I have been running the Pre-release versions of Windows 8.  Since I am not running the final release, my experience may be out of date, but the Windows 8 drivers from the ASUS site seemed to work OK.  One or Two would install in a strange manner, but they would install. 

I never had a problem with the Network Adapter driver after ASUS finally released one.  Windows 8 always wanted to install the device as an LM, but it needs to be a V.  Is that what you are seeing on your adapter?

P8Z77-V Pro i7 3770k, Z87-Expert i7 4771, Nvidia GTX 680 (2) Win 7/8/10

Posted:10/31/2012 2:45:00 AM # 3
Sorry, i missed some important details... Win 8 is installed in UEFI Mode, Bios is the newest Release 1616. Hybrid Boot is a new Windows 8 Feature explained here http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152937-what-is-hybrid-boot-in-windows-8-and-how-does-it-work/ I actually don't really know if this is Bios Setting related or if it actually needs a BIOS Upgrade from Asus. If somebody could test that, that would be great. As for the Network Drivers you were right, Windows installed it as LM, and with the 17.3 Driver from Asus i get Bluescreens every 5 Minutes. But this is not that big of a deal if Intel releases new Driver soon. Thanks!

Saltgrass
Level :
Posted:11/1/2012 12:47:00 AM # 4
As far as I know, the Windows 8 from ASUS should install the correct version.  Intel also has a Windows 8 driver dated 10/17/2012 which should be OK.  The problem occurred in Jan of 2012, so there has been plenty of time for the corrections to have been made.

Could you go to your Device Manager, look at the properties for the 82579, then the Detail tab.  In the Property box, select "inf name" which is about 2/3 of the way down.  Let us know what it says.  Mine uses the net1ic64.inf, and if yours is different, maybe if you can find that .inf in your Windows\inf folder, you could manually install a driver and point it to that .inf file.

Also, the adapter can cause Blue Screens if the Power Settings are not set in a certain manner.  Later, if the .inf file doesn't need to be changed, in the same Device Manger-properties, use the Power Management tab and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device" for testing.  You might also use different combinations to see if one works best.  If you get the V version to install, the Power Management should not be a problem.

Posted:11/1/2012 3:03:00 AM # 5
The inf name ist the same as yours. I looked the Controller up on the Intel Homepage and found a little tool which i will try now (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3299&DwnldID=22026&ProductFamily=Ethernet-Komponenten&ProductLine=Ethernet-Controller&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller+82579&lang=deu) and then install the Driver again downloaded from Intel. The Power Settings are a good point, i will also try that. It's most likely, that the Hybrid Boot Problem will also be solved if i get the Network Adapter running because Standby isn't working, no matter what i do. It always boots up again after a few seconds. I will keep you informed. Thank you for your help ;-) Edit: Weird, the downloaded Intel Driver for my GB 82579V isn't working, i cant install the Driver it says there is no Intel Hardware found. And also my Intel Device ist labeled "Intel(R)82579V #2". I couldn't even install the Driver by hand.

Saltgrass
Level :
Posted:11/1/2012 6:45:00 AM # 6
I just reinstalled the Consumer Preview, and it picked up the adapter as LM.  The download from ASUS changed it back to a V.

Give me until Monday and I should have the real Win 8 installed.  Just have to wait for some parts to come in before I try the upgrade....

Posted:11/1/2012 5:20:00 PM # 7
Yeah, no hurry, seems to be ok now with the updated NVRAM and the Driver from the Asus Download Site. Haven't had a bluescreen yet. The other Problem, is the non functioning Standby Mode which i can't figure out. It's not a device, i disabled all of them in the Power Management, and the Bios Settings are correct. Maybe because my CPU is overclocked, i will check that if i have time to experiment and report back.

Saltgrass
Level :
Posted:11/3/2012 10:02:00 PM # 8
Just installed the Windows 8 Pro upgrade, but on a Z68 board.  Should be the same since same network adapter is involved.

The Original install added a driver that allowed the adapter to operate as a V.  After a sleep cycle, it returned to a LM and stayed there, so my network adapter was non-functional.

If you are still unable to run the actual driver install, you might try the alternate method.  In the Z77 Intel LAN Windows 8 driver, there is a Pro1000\Winx64\NDIS62 folder.  In that folder is an e1c62x64.inf file.  If you use the Device Manager to update the driver and point it to that file, it should pick up the correct drivers.  On my system, the .inf file was converted to an Oem7.inf file and is now located in the Windows\inf folder.  All seems to be stable so far.

The file we mentioned earlier, net1ic64, is about a month earlier than the ASUS one and seems to be from around the time the problem with misidentifying the adapter was happening (2/29/2012).

Posted:11/4/2012 8:48:00 PM # 9
Yeah, thanks the Network Adapter is working fine now (for almost 2 Days). But i still couldn't figure out why the PC wont go to sleep mode. I disabled everything that could wake it up. Since youre running also Windows 8 (Preview) on your your Z77 Pro Board could you try the sleep mode and report back if everything works!? My last guess is that some BIOS Setting is causing this.

Saltgrass
Level :
Posted:11/5/2012 3:37:00 AM # 10
Never had a problem with sleep on either board.

Maybe run the powercfg -energy command from the command window and see if it shows any problems.  You will need to copy the report to your desktop to read it.

After it wakes, run powercfg -lastwake to see what woke it up.  If you have the Media Center installed, it does updates and will wake the system.  That and maybe others could be in the Task Scheduler.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.