ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8Z77-M PRO  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't get into BIOS New Topic
syntax53
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 41
Posted:6/22/2012 1:04:00 PM # 1
I just bought this board and I'm trying to set it up.  I flashed to the latest bios right away and it seemed to work fine.  As I was doing to some configurations in the bios I suddenly lost access to the bios.  Thinking I had disabled my USB keyboard by farting with the USB settings I grabbed a PS2 keybaord.  Unfortunately I still could not get into the bios.

I opened the case and popped the jumper over for the clear cmos.  Once I turned the machine back on I was able to get into the bios again.  I reset the defaults and only enabled RAID on the sata controller.  Saved and lost access to the bios again.  So once again I reset the defaults and didn't change anything this time and saved it... again no bios.  I don't understand what is going on here.

With the full screen logo turned on I see the "press DEL" to enter bios, but as soon as I press it, it just makes the screen go away faster and jumps right to the error about not having a boot device.  If I turn the full screen logo off, I don't even get a prompt to enter the bios.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Hiker
Level :
Tech Points : 7488
Posted:6/22/2012 1:27:00 PM # 2
Hi syntax53,

Welcome to the club!
The behaviour you described is common with the latest 1206 BIOS. You can either downgrade BIOS to the previous 1016 version, or use the following workaround.
Press and hold F8 key during POST, until the boot menu shows up and there select "Enter Setup".

The Z77 boards allow downgrading of BIOS using any ASUS BIOS update tool. I recommend using either EZ Flash 2 or USB BIOS Flashback.

Store the extracted (unzipped) BIOS file on a FAT32 formatted USB stick.
For USB BIOS Flashback rename the file to: "P8Z77MP.CAP".

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (BIOS 2104) -- Intel i7 3770K -- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 -- 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600MHz 8-8-8-24 2T 1.5V -- iGPU -- System drive RAID 0 on 2x120GB Intel SSD 520 (6Gbs), storage on RAID 1, 2x250GB/16MB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2, additional storage 1x250GB/16MB -- DVD-RW ASUS DRW-24F1ST -- all drives on Intel Z77 controller -- Antec P180B -- Corsair HX750 PSU -- Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- Chipset Device Software 10.0.14 -- IRST 13.1.0.1058 -- UEFI/CSM, SSDs and HDDs GPT partition formatted -- IE11
syntax53
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/22/2012 8:03:00 PM # 3
Thank you for the quick response.  Unfortunately I can't even get the machine to show video now.  Neither on HDMI or VGA.  If I plug a USB drive in with the P8Z77MP.CAP file on it, the machine turns on and then shuts itself off after a few seconds and turns itself back on.  It will sit there and do this over and over, and only if I have the drive plugged into the flashback port.  Do I need to hit something in a certain amount of time for it to use the flashback file?

I've tried resetting the CMOS a couple more times and even tried removing the battery (and power) for 4 hours
. Still no video.

syntax53
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/22/2012 8:18:00 PM # 4
Nevermind, I just found the instructions in manual for how to do a flashback.  Looks like the flashbook takes according to the flashing lights, but I still get no video :(  Tried two older BIOS's.

HHC
Administrator
Level :
Tech Points : 9939
Posted:6/27/2012 3:45:00 PM # 5
Did you hold the USB BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds till the LED next to it starts to blink while during S5 (soft off) state? If not, then you are actually running CrashFree2, which is no much help to you if the BIOS boot block is crapped.  Try holding the USB BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds under S5 with your pen drive in the USB BIOS Flashback port and see if it reprograms your BIOS right this time.

By the way, as BIOS 10xx and above involves TPU firmware update, which takes a good extra 5~10 seconds to complete once it powers up by itself without any message, please leave it there for 30 seconds after the completion of the USB BIOS Flashback process, and see if that heals this problem for you.

本討論區中並沒有華碩客服人員進駐,若您在討論區無法找到適切的答案,或是希望直接與華碩工程師對話時,請透過技術支援表單詢問。網址:http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
華碩「筆記型電腦」與「EEE PC」的使用者也可以透過線上即時交流系統(目前為測試中)與華碩工程師線上即時交流。網址:http://vip.asus.com/im_tw/imLogin.aspx
服務時間:週一至週五(09:00 - 18:00)
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.