Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8Z77-M PRO  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]not starting up New Topic
Jack
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/10/2012 11:57:00 AM # 1
This is my first build so I'm very new at this. When I first got this motherboard it would not give me any POST, standby LED lights up and fans would come on but nothing else. The trouble shooting did nothing since it all depended on what POST message I as getting. I have switched out the RAM, PSU, and PC speaker, but I don't have a CPU to try. Tech support said to send it in, but the new one they sent me was doing to same thing. Online it was suggested  to clear the RTC. I did but now when I press the power button the fans spin for 1/2 a second then nothing.>
>I can provide any more information needed. Thank you in advance for the help.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18316
Posted:12/15/2012 1:06:00 AM # 2

Hi Jack..

I assume that you connected both power supply connections to your board..  the 24wire EATXPWR and the 8wire EATX12V..   Disconnect the 8wire EATX12V power supply connection from the board and see if the power supply will stay on when you start the system..  It won't boot that way.. but the supply may stay on.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Adzam
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:12/15/2012 5:29:00 AM # 3
Hello Jack,

I have built quite a few and the P8Z77-M Pro was the first one that had me stumped too. I carefully assembled everything and when I switched it on for the first time I got lots of beeps from the computer speaker. I could not get into BIOs. I took out the the four DDR3 Ram modules and carefully repalaced them one by one and still it would not boot up.

I then thought it was a fault with the MotherBoard and went back to the shop. The Tech chap tried it and then he said that the RAM was not locked in properly and took them all out and re inserted them and it booted up perfectly.

It seems that the RAM sockets are very stiff and they only have a onesided lock on them. I must admit the Tech chap used a lot more force than I was prepared to use as I have never had to use that much force when installing RAM in other builds especially when the MB is installed in the case as I would rather install RAM with the MB sitting on a perfectly flat surface.

Hope you have had you problem sorted out by now if not it could be worth a try.

Jack
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/30/2012 7:12:00 AM # 4
Sorry for the long silence, I was unexpectedly dragged out of town. I unplugged the 8 pin and I'm still getting the same thing. LED on and stays on, fans spin 1/2 a secant and no POST.The PSU I have is not on the suggested list in the manual. Could that be any problem?

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18316
Posted:12/30/2012 11:34:00 AM # 5
Hi Jack.. 

That behaviour suggests a short some where..  so if the board is in the case, the next consideration is to remove both the board and the power supply and set up a minimal configuration on some non conductive surface.  You can start up by shorting the two pins on the system panel connector where the power switch was connected.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5065
Posted:12/31/2012 4:42:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: Jack Posted: 12/30/2012 7:12:00 AM

Sorry for the long silence, I was unexpectedly dragged out of town. I unplugged the 8 pin and I'm still getting the same thing. LED on and stays on, fans spin 1/2 a secant and no POST.The PSU I have is not on the suggested list in the manual. Could that be any problem?

Make sure your PSU will give you enough juice. What is your PSU?

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.