Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8P67 DELUXE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't get into BIOS New Topic
db
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/23/2011 6:06:00 PM # 1
Just got a new P8P67 Deluxe board with the 2600k proc.

Using Kingston HyperX Grey series RAM with one 4MB stick or (2) 4MB sticks depending on what I have in there at the time.

The AMI Bios version installed is 1305.

It's been a real pain but right now my problem is that I can only get into BIOS after i have reset CMOS and then I can only get into it one time.  Then I have to reset the CMOS again. 

When I boot I get one beep, the Marvell Bios screen shows and then the AMI BIOS screen comes up.  After I enter the AMI BIOS, save and restart, on reboot the AMI Bios screen is not an option again.  After the Marvell Bios I get a "cannot find bootable disk" error. 

The only way I've been able to get into BIOS again is to reset the CMOS.  No combination of the Delete keys, F1, the insert key or any other combination I can think of will get me back into the AMI Bios. I've googled this to death and can't find anything.

I'm tired of messing with it an my plan right now is to send it back and get another brand. I'm going to make one last ditch effort before I do that though.  Any ideas. 

Thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DarkCaporaL
Level :
Tech Points : 246
Posted:3/23/2011 8:44:00 PM # 2
What specific RAM are you using and is it P67 certified?  What are their specs? (v, CL, etc)
Are you getting the "Overclocking failed" message after you clear CMOS?

Sounds like a RAM compatibility issue.

The Marvell screen indicating "cannot find bootable disk" is normal if there are no disks attached to the Marvell controller (top 2 SATA ports).  If you do not plan on using these 2 ports, then you can disable the controller altogether in BIOS and make that screen disappear from the boot sequence.

EDIT:  Wait does the computer boot normally?  I may have missread your post.  Is the only issue you have is the getting into BIOS part? (as in pressing delete does not open BIOS but the computer still boots and runs fine?)

Asus P8P67 Deluxe, i7 2600k, G.Skill Ripjaws 1333 2x4GB CL9 1.5v, Intel X25-M SSD, XFX HD 5850, Cooler Master 750W, Windows 7 64-bit, Cooler Master HAF 922.
db
Level :
Posted:3/23/2011 9:40:00 PM # 3
Thanks for help: The memory is supposed to be Sandy Bridge compatible. Here is the info from Kingston http://www.kingston.com/anz/press/2011/product/01d.asp

Though I have 8GB instead of 4GB.

This link has the memory specs: http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3X2K2_8GX.pdf It says: Each module kit has been tested to run at DDR3- 1600MHz at a low latency timing of 9-9-9-27 at 1.65V. The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3- 1333MHz timing of 9-9-9 at 1.5V

The BIOS seems to recognize and confiure the ram properly. When I am able to get into the BIOS the specs look normal.

The Cannot find bootable disk error is of no concern. There is no bootable disk since this is a new build. I imagine that this is the place the OS would boot (or bootable DVD) if a boot partition was available. I'm not worried about that.

Yes, the issue I'm having is that I cannot get into BIOS unless I clear the CMOS. Once I've got into BIOS once and saved my changes I cannot get into it again until I reset the CMSO (using the Clear CMOS button on the back). In the boot process where one would normally see the AMI Bios page it is not there and skips directly to trying to boot. Delete, Insert, F1 and every other combination of key strokes I can think of will not interupt this process.

I flashed the bios to the latest version since the initial post. Same behavior.

It also won't boot at all with a USB device connected which I discovered when flashing the BIOS.

AlphaOne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 352
Posted:3/24/2011 1:45:00 AM # 4
Once you get into the BIOS again (after clearing the CMOS of course), can you please list all the settings under the BOOT menu.

Asus P8P67 Deluxe, i7 2600k @4.5GHz, Corsair Vengeance 1866 16GB (4x4GB) @9-10-9-27 2T 1.5125v, OCZ Vertex2 SSD, Sapphire HD 6850, Corsair H70, Corsair TX850W, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Antec P180. Do not trust the QVL list, verify the RAM manufacturer's website for the latest and more accurate compatible modules.
db
Level :
Posted:3/24/2011 5:09:00 AM # 5
That is the hint I needed Alpha.  On the Boot menu I disabled Full Screen Logo and an option appeared that let me set the post time.   Now the AMI Bios screen appears and I can get into it without clearing the CMOS. Thanks.

If I can figure out how to award Tech Points (assuming that is something I do) I'll give them to you.

AlphaOne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 352
Posted:3/24/2011 6:04:00 AM # 6
Ow, you're making me blush. :D

No worries, you already said what needs to be said. No tech points needed, I hate those.

Do hang out here once in a while, and see if there's something you can contribute. The more brains, the merrier.

Asus P8P67 Deluxe, i7 2600k @4.5GHz, Corsair Vengeance 1866 16GB (4x4GB) @9-10-9-27 2T 1.5125v, OCZ Vertex2 SSD, Sapphire HD 6850, Corsair H70, Corsair TX850W, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Antec P180. Do not trust the QVL list, verify the RAM manufacturer's website for the latest and more accurate compatible modules.
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.