Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P7P55D-E  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Fan Xpert Feature New Topic
Mitch
Level :
Tech Points : 38
Posted:8/19/2010 1:37:00 PM # 1
In order to have benefit of the Fan Xpert feature I assume the chasis fan needs to be connected to the CHA_FAN1 (or 2) connector on the Motherboard rather than directly to the power supply. Is that correct?
Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.

Frank M.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18226
Posted:8/19/2010 9:45:00 PM # 2
Hi F..

That's correct...  The BIOS has a module that provides fan control.  So a fan must be connected to the mainboard fan header....  there is no ability for the BIOS to effect fan control throuigh the power supply voltage busses. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Mitch
Level :
Posted:8/19/2010 10:56:00 PM # 3
Some more dumb fan questions:

1. There are 3 fans in this CoolerMaster case.  These all have 3 pin cables.
Should I connect one of those to the PWR_FAN connector on the board and the other two directly to the power supply? 

2. In the P7P55D-E User Guide it shows the 4 pin connector for CHA-FAN1 as +5v.
Are all 4 pin cables from the power supply 5 volts?
Is the 4 pin CPU_FAN connector also 5 volts since it has 4 pins?

Frank M.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/20/2010 4:22:00 AM # 4
Hi F..

Where you can connect a case fan depends on the sort of connector available on the fan wiring.  If the fans have mini connectors, then they can be connected to the board.. 

The PWR_FAN header can power a DC fan but there is no BIOS control available for that header.  It is actually intended only to monitor the RPMs of a fan in a power supply .. some power supplies have a special fan monitoring circuit and a special twore lead and miniplug.

4pin fan headers are normally intended to operate PWM fans...  However, the markings for the pins on this board appear to suggest that the chasses fan can be either a DC or A PWM fan....  I have requested some information about what this configuration is all about ... but for now, I'd suggest treating it as a normal 3pin DC fan header....    I have read some suggestion that the header is intended to work with a push/pull fan configuration... some coolers can have two fans.. one on each side of the radiator and somehow the header works into that sort of scheme.  I'll post back should I get any definitive information about this.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Mitch
Level :
Posted:8/20/2010 11:36:00 AM # 5

What fan connectors are on two new 650 watt PSU's are very unsatisfactory in regard to the P7P55D-E board.  All have old style large Molex 4 pin connectors.
- Cooler Master : 3 x 3 pin femail mini-connectors . Only 2 wires on each, black and red.  Fan connectors on the board have 3 pins in them, needing 3 wires to provide: Ground - +12v - Rotation.

- Corsair :  No 3 pin mini-connectors at all. There is a 4 pin mini connector I believe for a floppy drive. Not correct pins for the 4 pin fan connection on the board.

Two more questions for you:
1. Could you please provide an on-line source of cables and adaptors?  I tried Cables-to-GO, not much selection on line.  Probably need their paper catalog.

2.  I do not expect heavy overclocking and no gamimg. Can I just ignore the 4 pin fan connector on the board, and connect only to the the 3 pin chasis_fan2 connector and the 3 pin PWR_FAN connector?

Frank M.

Frank M.

Mitch
Level :
Posted:8/20/2010 1:13:00 PM # 6
One more  question: 

What goes on to the PWR_FAN 3 pin connector on the board?
My two new 650 watt power supplies (CoolerMaster and Corsair), neither have a cable designated to be for the power supply fan.

Frank M.

Mitch
Level :
Posted:8/21/2010 12:38:00 PM # 7
All is well.  Not as complicated as I thought.
Visited my local Micro-Center store and they were very helpful.
Provided some adapter mini fan connectors for the power supply.
The 3  pin fan (3 wire) connectors on the fans will connect onto the motherboard in the two places needed.
With that all clear I can now go ahead with my build.

Frank M.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/21/2010 8:52:00 PM # 8
Hi F..

Glad you have everything cleared up...  I'm sure the folks at MicroCenter explained that fans connected directly to the power supply do not have fan control through the BIOS...

If you connected a fan to the 4pin chassis fan 1 header, what sort of wiring does it have and if it is a 3wire fan, does the system seem to control its speed...? 

Mitch
Level :
Posted:8/21/2010 11:02:00 PM # 9
Ulrich:

>> If you connected a fan to the 4pin chassis fan 1 header, what sort of wiring does it have and if it is a 3wire fan, does the system seem to control its speed...?  <<

I gave up on the 4 pin chassis fan 1 header.
Am connecting fans to the Power Fan and the Chassis Fan 2 headers.
Third fan will be directly on the power supply (as you say with no Bios control).

Frank M.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/26/2010 1:25:00 AM # 10
Hi Frank....

I got a responce from Asus about these fan headers...   Apparently, they are set up to use DC control on a PWM fan.   That is why there is a +5v pin.  Normally, a PWM fan header supplys 12vdc all the time... and the pulse frequency controls the speed of the fan. 

These headers have both a 12vdc and a 5vdc pin which allows the system to vary the voltage to the fan header... which is not possible with a standard PWM header. 

The result is that a PWM fan can be controlled through Voltage variation on this sort of header...  So whether you connect a 4wire PWM fan or a 3wire DC fan, the FanXpert and Q-Fan features can control the fan speed through voltage variation just like any other Asus board with just 3pin chassis fan headers. 

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.