ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P7P55D  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]P7P55D BIOS update issue New Topic
Good
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/22/2009 9:46:00 PM # 1
I have a Asus P7P55D motherboard + Core i5-750 + 4x2GB DDR3-1333 G.Skill Ripjaws that I bought several days ago. The motherboard BIOS version is 0209 from several months ago, so I wanted to update it. I went to
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=RBA8CzWoopUlYRFZ&templete=2
and downloaded the latest one, 1207 and extracted it to C: drive root. I then went into the EZ Flash 2 and pointed it to the ROM file but it said "ROM file is incompatible with existing BIOS!". I tried all the other BIOSes available, from 0501 onwards, and all gave the exact same message. Any idea why this is happening?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18225
Posted:12/22/2009 11:59:00 PM # 2

Hi G..

See if renaming the file helps...

P7P1207.ROM

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Good
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/23/2009 1:39:00 AM # 3
Still doesn't work, same ROM file incompatible message.

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18225
Posted:12/23/2009 6:14:00 AM # 4
Hi G..

You might see if the system will boot up with a USB flash drive inserted and then try pointing to that wint the BIOS image loaded on it but if that gets you nowhere, then you need to contact Asus support .. 

http://asuswiki.asus.com/usaSupport/index.php?title=Main_Page

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Renzo
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:12/23/2009 7:37:00 AM # 5
I have to agree with Ulrich here. While the ezflash2 sees NTFS partitions, I'm not so sure if it can actually read such partitions properly, at least with older bioses. So, put the bios binary to a usb-stick with fat32 filesystem and it should be good with ezflash2.

HHC
Administrator
Level :
Tech Points : 9939
Posted:12/23/2009 10:10:00 AM # 6
Try flash the BIOS again using their DOS flash utility instead and see if that helps.

本討論區中並沒有華碩客服人員進駐,若您在討論區無法找到適切的答案,或是希望直接與華碩工程師對話時,請透過技術支援表單詢問。網址:http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
華碩「筆記型電腦」與「EEE PC」的使用者也可以透過線上即時交流系統(目前為測試中)與華碩工程師線上即時交流。網址:http://vip.asus.com/im_tw/imLogin.aspx
服務時間:週一至週五(09:00 - 18:00)
Einride
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:12/24/2009 1:51:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: Good Posted: 12/23/2009 1:39:00 AM

Still doesn't work, same ROM file incompatible message.

Are you certain you have a P7P55D board, and not one with additional characters following the "D" (like -E)?  Check your motherboard box, and, to be sure, check the sticker on the board.  You should see "P7P55D  <Green>.

Once the board is verified, are you sure you downloaded the bios for that board?  The bios files are different for each board variant.  You can always download it again.  I recommend you avoid the download manager (DLM) option, and use "Global".

Also, you can try navigating through the support section, starting here--http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

HHC
Administrator
Level :
Tech Points : 9939
Posted:12/25/2009 5:13:00 PM # 8
Wait a sec, is your system HDD formatted as Fat32 or FAT16 or anything else?

EZFlash can only detect BIOS image from HDD partitioned as FAT16/FAT32, any other partition type will give you this kind of error message.

Try checking is this is the case for you.

本討論區中並沒有華碩客服人員進駐,若您在討論區無法找到適切的答案,或是希望直接與華碩工程師對話時,請透過技術支援表單詢問。網址:http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
華碩「筆記型電腦」與「EEE PC」的使用者也可以透過線上即時交流系統(目前為測試中)與華碩工程師線上即時交流。網址:http://vip.asus.com/im_tw/imLogin.aspx
服務時間:週一至週五(09:00 - 18:00)
Einride
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:12/26/2009 5:11:00 AM # 9

Quote:
Author: HHC Posted: 12/25/2009 5:13:00 PM

EZFlash can only detect BIOS image from HDD partitioned as FAT16/FAT32, any other partition type will give you this kind of error message.

Not correct.  EZFlash2 can read from NTFS.  I have updated bioses on several of these boards off of a flash drive formatted with NTFS.  Remember the OP stated that he pointed to the file on his hard drive, but got the "incompatible" message.  That means that the file could be found on the drive and had a rom suffix, but was either not a bios file, not a bios file for the particular motherboard he was trying to update, or was a compatible bios file that contained an error that caused the file to misidentify itself.

Another possibility is that a very early bios version might not recognize the latest version--although I have updated versions from 02xx to 11xx with the same 1207 file.  A solution for this problem would be to update to an intermediate version first, then the newest version.

Good
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/26/2009 6:12:00 AM # 10

Problem resolved, thank you everyone for all your assistance.

I don't have any USB flash drives, so I thought I was going to have to go out and buy one if I wanted to update the BIOS. Thankfully, this proved unnecessary.

Quote:

Author: HHC Posted: 12/23/2009 10:10:00 AM

Try flash the BIOS again using their DOS flash utility instead and see if that helps.

I didn't really want to use the DOS-based BIOS updater since I feel that using EZFlash is probably safer and I'm paranoid when it comes to flashing firmware.

Quote:
Author: Einride Posted: 12/24/2009 1:51:00 AM

Are you certain you have a P7P55D board, and not one with additional characters following the "D" (like -E)?  Check your motherboard box, and, to be sure, check the sticker on the board.  You should see "P7P55D  <Green>.

Once the board is verified, are you sure you downloaded the bios for that board?  The bios files are different for each board variant.  You can always download it again.  I recommend you avoid the download manager (DLM) option, and use "Global".
That's the first thing I thought of when I got an error, so I double-checked the motherboard box and that I had downloaded the right BIOS. The EZFlash utility also reported my motherboard as a P7P55D. So this wasn't the issue.

Quote:

Wait a sec, is your system HDD formatted as Fat32 or FAT16 or anything else?

Try checking is this is the case for you.
Bulls-eye! All my partitions were NTFS. Once I created a new partition on one of my hard drives and formatted it as FAT32, EZFlash could read and use the 1207 ROM file.

Quote:
Author: Einride Posted: 12/26/2009 5:11:00 AM

Quote:

Not correct.  EZFlash2 can read from NTFS.  I have updated bioses on several of these boards off of a flash drive formatted with NTFS.  Remember the OP stated that he pointed to the file on his hard drive, but got the "incompatible" message.  That means that the file could be found on the drive and had a rom suffix, but was either not a bios file, not a bios file for the particular motherboard he was trying to update, or was a compatible bios file that contained an error that caused the file to misidentify itself.

Another possibility is that a very early bios version might not recognize the latest version--although I have updated versions from 02xx to 11xx with the same 1207 file.  A solution for this problem would be to update to an intermediate version first, then the newest version.

Based on my experience, the 0209 BIOS will detect and display folders and files from a NTFS partition, however, it doesn't seem capable of using any ROM files found there. I thought it could possibly be because the 1207 was too new compared to 0209, which is why I tried, even before starting this thread, all the BIOSes still available for download, from 0501 onwards, but all gave the same incompatibility error when the ROM file is on a NTFS partition.

On a side-note, updating the BIOS is always so nerve-wracking, praying to God the computer doesn't decide to crap out on you at that very moment. I wish instead of overwriting the current BIOS, it would write to a completely different section of the BIOS chip, and then after the reboot, it would do a CRC check on the new BIOS and if an error is found, it would keep using the old BIOS which would still be present on the chip. A 16MB EEPROM chip big enough to store at least two BIOSes can't be that much more expensive then a 4MB or whatever they currently use, and while I'm no engineer, I would think this would make updating the BIOS fairly foolproof.

I also read that it's a good idea to run cmd.exe and disable chkntfs on all your partitions before updating the BIOS to ensure Windows will still boot, like so:
chkntfs /X C: D: E: F: G:
After the BIOS flash, Windows 7 installed new drivers for the ATA and IDE controllers after it started. chkntfs /D will re-enable chkntfs on all hard drives.

One other thing, when I hover over Bus Interface in GPU-Z it states that while my Radeon 4890 supports PCI-E x16 2.0, it is running at PCIE x16 1.1. It reported the same thing before my BIOS update. Is this a video card driver issue (I have Catalyst 9.12) or is there something in the BIOS I should change? The video card is in the slot closest to the CPU (PCIEX16_1) and there is nothing in the other slot (PCIEX16_2). Alternatively, GPU-Z could simply be reporting incorrectly.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.