VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:3/29/2010 1:37:00 AM # 11

Quote:
Author: Gordon Posted: 2/5/2010 6:49:00 AM

Quote:
Author: Larry Posted: 2/4/2010 10:17:00 AM

I am having trouble installing the Marvell 9123 driver.  I've tried to install it during the windows installation, directly from the disk that came with the motherboard and from drivers posted on Asus's web site.  Each time I attempt the install, I get a BSOD.  I updtaed the BIOS to 0506, but that didn't help.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you get it resolved?

Larry, If you have an SSD Drive set your storage from IDE to AHCI , tghen go to the Advanced tab> Onboard Device Config>Marvell 9123 Controller> from IDE to AHCI and reboot, Windows should install the larest driver...good luck i have an OCZ Vertex.

That won't work.  I know from personal experience.  When Windows is installed on an IDE drive, it puts that information into it's HAL and installs IDE, not AHCI, drivers.  If you simply change the SATA port from IDE to AHCI in BIOS, Windows will not boot.  Win 7 will try to "repair" the problem but fail.  The only two things to do at that pont are to change the SATA port back to IDE (Win 7 will then boot normally) or reinstall Windows.  I HAD to do that because I was foolish enough to install Win 7 on an SSD set to IDE.  As I know now, that will not allow Windows 7's TRIM functionality to work.  Fortunately, Win 7 installs very fast compared to prior versions.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Mike
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/11/2010 4:56:00 AM # 12
I get a BSOD every 30 mins on average when I have a hard drive connected to the Marvell 9123 controller using the latest Marvell driver (version 1.0.0.1027).  It's clearly the driver causing the problem (because the controller works fine with Microsoft's generic driver).

I'm using a Samsung F1 HE753LJ 750G hard drive
, so the driver is not just having problems with SSDs.

I did what Flussig did and switched back to Microsoft's standard AHCI driver for the Marvell controller and it has been working fine since.  If you're not familiar with how to do this, simply go to Device Manager, expand Storage Controllers, right-click the Marvell controller and go to Properties.  Then go to the Driver tab and click Roll Back Driver.

Hey, what OS are you guys using?  I'm on Windows 7 x64.  If we can get this narrowed down to a specific OS, it might help Marvell fix this bug sooner.

bravarian
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 46
Posted:4/11/2010 8:09:00 AM # 13

Quote:
Author: Gordon Posted: 2/5/2010 6:49:00 AM

Quote:
Author: Larry Posted: 2/4/2010 10:17:00 AM

I am having trouble installing the Marvell 9123 driver.  I've tried to install it during the windows installation, directly from the disk that came with the motherboard and from drivers posted on Asus's web site.  Each time I attempt the install, I get a BSOD.  I updtaed the BIOS to 0506, but that didn't help.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you get it resolved?

Larry, If you have an SSD Drive set your storage from IDE to AHCI , tghen go to the Advanced tab> Onboard Device Config>Marvell 9123 Controller> from IDE to AHCI and reboot, Windows should install the larest driver...good luck i have an OCZ Vertex.
Gordon I m a little bit confused with your suggestion.I have installed windows on an Intel 80Gb SSD and connected it on sata3(Intel says its faster).Should I set the setting on Bios that you suggest?From IDE to AHCI, and what s the difference?

Chavez
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/21/2010 12:46:00 AM # 14
I'm having the exact same problem with a brand new setup.  I tried installing the Marvell drivers and then I get BSOD with the same message you posted.  I ended up going the AHCI route and that seems to work.

Now I'm also having another issue which is when I connect my drive to S0 port which is the first 6G SATA port on the board my system is very unstable.  Super long boot times, horrible performance on my HDD benchmarks and system freezing.  If I move the drive to S1 everything flies and works fine.  I already RMA my motherboard and the second one is doing the same exact thing.  I also replaced my SATA cables and still no luck.  I'm really pulling my hair out on this I can't figure out what's wrong.

I'm using a Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB for my OS.

Thanks,

Jaime

Craig
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/21/2010 7:16:00 PM # 15
I am also having an issue with the P6X58D Premium mobo and loading the Marvell drivers with Windows 7 Ultimate N, 64-bit. Everything goes smooth with the install until I get to loading up this driver. As soon as this is loaded and Windows 7 rebooted I get a BSOD stating:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0XFFFFFA88067D5E18, 0X0000000000000007, 0X0000000000000000, 0XFFFFF8800111768A)

***   mv91xx.sys - Address FFFFF8800111768A base at FFFFF880010DF000, DateStamp 4acf09d5

I have tried turning the Marvell controller from IDE to AHCI and did a complete reload of Windows and still get the BSOD after loading the drivers. I also for the heck of it I tried combination's of IDE/AHCI with the Intel controller and Marvell; each time reloading windows and each time BSOD.

Other Information:

Marvell
88SE91xx Adapter - BIOS Version 0.0.0.1012

Tech Points : 55
Posted:4/21/2010 10:32:00 PM # 16

This is an article in Benchmark Reviews that is very pertinent to this issue.  In December they did tests on the Marvell and Intel ICH10 controllers.  Even though the Intel on paper (SATA II) is slower, Intel consistently beat Marvell in drive performance.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=38

ASUS P6X58D-Premium, Intel Core i7-950, 12G Corsair DDR3 1600, 2-Seagate 1TB in Raid 1, Sony DVD w/ LightScribe, XFX GeForce GTS 250 1GB, Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W, Windows 7-64 bit.
chipsahoy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 286
Posted:4/22/2010 9:45:00 AM # 17
One difference is the 9128 supports RAID 0 and 1 while the 9123 does not. There isn't much point in running regular hard drives on SATA 3 ports since the drives can barely max out SATA 1. SSD's could benefit if the controller is good. Unfortunately, the only way to really get all the speed out of SSD drives is with an expensive RAID card like LSI's. This is the cheapest decent card I could find. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118114

Rampage 3 Formula - i7 970 4.01GHz - Prolimatech Megahalems - 12GB Patriot 1.28GHz - EVGA GTX 580 SLI- Creative X-FI Titanium - OCZ Vertex 2 120GB - WD Black 1TB - Corsair AX1200 - Thermaltake Armor+ - Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
m4tr1x
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:7/3/2010 10:38:00 AM # 18

Quote:
Author: Chavez Posted: 4/21/2010 12:46:00 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with a brand new setup.  I tried installing the Marvell drivers and then I get BSOD with the same message you posted.  I ended up going the AHCI route and that seems to work.

Now I'm also having another issue which is when I connect my drive to S0 port which is the first 6G SATA port on the board my system is very unstable.  Super long boot times, horrible performance on my HDD benchmarks and system freezing.  If I move the drive to S1 everything flies and works fine.  I already RMA my motherboard and the second one is doing the same exact thing.  I also replaced my SATA cables and still no luck.  I'm really pulling my hair out on this I can't figure out what's wrong.

I'm using a Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB for my OS.

Thanks,

Jaime

Hi Jaime, i have the same issue !
See my post ...

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100702050055531&board_id=1&model=P6X58D+Premium&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

The bug it's the Marvell Controller, a new firmware compatible with p6x58d premium is needed for resolve this issue.

In other os, linux for example, is possible disable NCQ (Native Command Queue) by modifing the linux driver for your disk.

I buy 2 WD Caviar Black Sata3 and i can't use that together because this controller is BUGGED.

I'm waiting for asus/marvell response for this issue.

I don't send my card in rma, if asus don't solve this bug in a few of days i tell my vendor to get my money back (300 eur of card).

I'm very angry because this motherboard it's good but i want to use sata3 and asus would kindly help us solve the issue.

Nice to meet another user with my same problem :)

RICHAN
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/8/2011 5:46:00 AM # 19
According to Microsoft the reason for this error is memory leakdown what happens is when the memory leaks down to a certain point it causes the system to crash Microsoft has a patch for this but it has not been tested and microsoft says to use at your own risk they recommend to wait for the final version.

gtalarico
Level :
Posted:10/3/2011 4:11:00 AM # 20

Quote:
Author: Flussig Posted: 3/19/2010 12:41:00 AM
>Just went back to the standard AHCI drivers and all is working fine now.

How do you do that? I have a P8Z68 and I keep having BSODs caused by MV91xx.sys... (Marvell 91xx Sata 6gb v 1.0.0.1045) Any news on the hotfix from microsoft?

First  Prev  1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.