Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P6T Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]P6T Deluxe Raid Setup New Topic

Tech Points : 36
Posted:1/7/2009 3:08:00 AM # 1
I'm in the process of building my first computer and am a bit confused about setting the proper RAID configuration.

What I want to do is setup a RAID 0 configuration using two WD 750 gig drives (these will be my secondary storage for all of my files, photos, etc.).  I want to use my WD Velociraptor 300 gig drive as the primary boot drive.

In addition to the HDD's above I have purchased the following components:

ASUS P6T Deluxe Mobo
Intel core i7 920 CPU
OCZ3X1333LV3GK RAM (3 gig triple channel)
EVGA GeForce GTA 280 Video Card
Silverstone ST1000w PSU
Windows XP Professional with SP3

I know I have to use the F6 command when starting the Windows install so that I can install the ICH10R AHCIRAID drivers.

My question is what about the VelociRaptor drive?  Since it is not going on any RAID setup do I still have to install another driver for it through the F6 function?

What about BIOS setup for the above three drives?  Do I need to make changes in the BIOS prior to installing Windows to accomodate the RAID drives as well as the separate drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill P.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Hiker
Level :
Tech Points : 7857
Posted:1/7/2009 3:15:00 AM # 2

Hi Plesha

Here are the answers to your questions.
RAID - Questions and Answers

ASUS Z97-WS (BIOS 1204) -- Intel i7-4790K -- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 -- 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 9-10-9-27 2T 1.5V -- iGPU -- System drive RAID 0 on 2x120GB Intel SSD 520 (6Gbs), storage on RAID 1, 2x250GB/16MB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2, additional storage 1x250GB/16MB -- DVD-RW ASUS DRW-24F1ST -- all drives on Intel Z97 controller -- Antec P180B -- Corsair HX750 PSU -- Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- Chipset Device Software 10.0.14 -- IRST 13.2.4.1000 -- UEFI/CSM, SSDs and HDDs GPT partition formatted -- IE11

Tech Points : 36
Posted:1/7/2009 6:17:00 AM # 3
Hiker,

Thank you.  That link helped a lot, but if you don't mind I still have a question.

The information in the link explained how to set up the OS on the RAID 0 array.  I want to install my OS on the single non-RAID drive and use my RAID drives for storage only.

Do I still first go into BIOS and set the SATA as RAID then save it and reboot and then press Ctrl-l to enter the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option and create my RAID volume?

Then when BIOS starts up again can I set my boot priority as DVD first, single drive second?

Now at this point would it now be best to shut down the computer and disconnect the RAID drives before rebooting with the Win CD installation installed so that I am assured of installing the OS on my single drive?

Would the above be a good procedure to follow?

Thanks Again,

Bill P.

Yellowbeard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 196
Posted:1/7/2009 6:34:00 AM # 4
You could install the OS with only the system drive attached. Then, after your OS and driver  install, power off, attach the drives, boot, build the RAID array, and then go to the OS and format it.

Corsair Technical Support Artist
Islandman
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/7/2009 9:20:00 AM # 5
Have similar issue.  Installed 3 WD 640's with Storage Configuration set to non-RAID or IDE.  OS (Vista 64 Ultimate) was then copied to drive 0.  System then booted fine.  I subsequently went back into BIOS Storage Configuration and set it to RAID.  Then used CNTL I to set drive 1 and 2 each to RAID with Drive 0 remaining Non-RAID.  Problem is there doesn't appear to be any way to then boot from the non-RAID drive.  When you go to set boot drive priority, it only shows the RAID drive as an option (seems to be tied to the Storage Configuration setting with no override capability to select the non-RAID drive).

Alan from WA
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/8/2009 8:43:00 AM # 6

If you are only going to use a 2 drive RAID 0 or RAID 1 for data storage why not set up your RAID on the SAS controller? SAS is backward to SATA so you can run your SATA drives on the SAS controller.

I have a 65GB SSD for the OS, a 500GB Seagate, and a 1TB Seagate running on the SATA controller and 2 SAS drives in RAID 0 on the SAS controller and everybody is all playing happy together.

Alan

ASUS P6T Deluxe, core i7 920, (2)EVA GTX 260 SLI, 6 GB Corsair Dominator, OCZ 64 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB and 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives, LG SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner HD DVD-ROM, 2 Fujitsu MBA3073RC 70GB SAS drives on the Marvell controller, CoolerMaster CosmosS Case, CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 1000W PSU, Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
padarjohn
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/9/2009 10:59:00 AM # 7
I've read that if you have SAS RAID then the SATA configuration must be IDE. Is this true?
I currently have three SATA drives (500GB system drive, DVD burner and 1TB data), and have the BIOS configuration set to AHCI. I want to add a 2nd 1TB drive and configure them as RAID1, but I don't want to have to re-install everything (too many packages not only have keys, but require online 'activation' :-P

I've already confirmed that Vista-64 won't boot if I switch the SATA configuration from AHCI -> RAID. Vista boots if I set it to IDE, but do I lose anything (performance, etc) by doing that?

Alan from WA
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/9/2009 2:04:00 PM # 8
I have my SATA set up as ACHI with a 2 SATA1 devices and 2 SATA2 devices. Then have 2 SAS drives on the SAS controller. I have seen on a Vista forum to set SATA devices to IDE unless configuring for RAID, then set to ACHI. Never saw an explanation for why, just said "Do it". Whatever...I am running fine with SATA set to ACHI and SAS controller running RAID 0. Haven't run any benchmarks, but this system is so far beyond my Pentium 4 with 100GB IDE drive that I wouldn't notice if it's not 100% optimized. It's solid and fast ... that's good enough for me. Alan

ASUS P6T Deluxe, core i7 920, (2)EVA GTX 260 SLI, 6 GB Corsair Dominator, OCZ 64 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB and 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives, LG SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner HD DVD-ROM, 2 Fujitsu MBA3073RC 70GB SAS drives on the Marvell controller, CoolerMaster CosmosS Case, CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 1000W PSU, Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.