SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P6T  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]P6T - proper JBOD setup with 3TB drive and ahci/ide setting issues - long! New Topic
p
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/10/2012 12:26:00 AM # 1
Hi, I'd love it for someone to please help set me on the optimal path for getting my p6t system to work with a big stack of drives, most of which will hopefully be upgraded to 3TB or larger in the future. So really, it's at least two issues, getting 3TB drives working right now and in the future, and generally making sure all drives are configured in a way that makes sense.

Details:
OS is Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1, fully updated

boot drive is a legacy Seagate 500gb IDE drive that is functioning fine (I boot from it without using F8). It's on "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (ATA)." I know this is slow and suboptimal but it's working fine for now. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to ssd, but that's another panicky post I'm sure!

Data drives are a mix of 1.5TB seagates, 2TB WD greens and a single 3TB drive for now.

Full malware/virus/rootkit scan done (to the point of using a hijack this forum) prior to posting here, just to be sure.

Not using RAID, don't really want to use RAID, this machine is a household media server with up to 10 HDDs in it, most of which are 1.5TB or 2TB right now. I anticipate replacing them with 3TB drives in the future.

Using Hard Disk Sentinel, it looks like I have
2x 1.5TB seagates on ICH10 family 2 port sata storage controller
3x 1.5tb seagates on ICH10 family 4 port sata storage controller
1 sata optical drive on the 4port as well

I also have a Rosewill RC-218 4 port sata expander card, which presently has a 2TB WD drive and a 3TB seagate (more about which below) on it. This card reads as a Sonnet Tempo SATA Gen 2 PCI Express Adapter.

I had been using the two DriveXpert sata ports in Normal mode – both had WD 2TB drives on them and were functioning fine in the win7/64 environment until one started to develop bad sectors. I can’t remember how I got that working exactly, I do remember being confused by the manual which seemed to suggest I could only use one drive in normal mode.

The initial problem:

Seagate 3tb was in usb enclosure, appeared to have formatted fine to full amount of space, gpt no problem. Never really tested it to see if I could fill it past the 2.2tb mark without issues in the USB enclosure.

One of my internal WD 2TB drives was dying of bad sectors, so I pulled it and moved the 3TB seagate to the internal context on one of the Rosewill ports, then filled it up (past the 2.2TB mark but not entirely full). On a subsequent reboot, chkdsk launched and all hell broke loose, deleted all but about 600gb on the 3TB drive. On the next reboot I didn’t see chkdsk fire up again, but things seemed flaky and I was down 400gb of data left. [note, the flaky 2TB drive is still good enough to copy most of the data again, so it’s not a complete disaster yet]

To this day, disk manager says the Seagate 3tb is a “healthy” 3tb drive.

In contrast, looking with HD Sentinel or diskpart tells me that it’s only a 2tb gpt drive! I hadn’t known about interrogating with diskpart until quite recently.

In device manager:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

3x ATA Channel 0 – Microsoft driver 6.1.7601.17514 for all

3x ATA Channel 1 - 6.1.7601.17514

Intel ICH10 family 2 port SATA storage controller 2 – 3A26: driver version 9.1.1.1027

Intel ICH10 family 4 port SATA storage controller 1 – 3A20: driver version 9.1.1.1027

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller: Microsoft driver 6.1.7601.17514 dated 21/06/2006 (which seems awfully old?)

Under Storage Controllers, we see two:

1. JMicron JMB36X Controller - Driver 1.17.63.1 from 19/05/2011

2. Sonnet Tempo SATA Gen 2 PCI Express Adapter – driver was recently updated by Win7 to 4.1.3.0

(This is actually a Rosewill RC-218 SATA port card (nothing RAIDy), and I understand it’s normal to be named this way. Anecdotal evidence at newegg.com suggests it should be ok with 3tb drives)

BIOS details:

P6T BIOS is 1408 (latest), and what seem like the relevant settings about hard drives include:

Main -> Storage Configuration

SATA Configuration = Enhanced

Configure SATA as:   [IDE] (not raid or ahci, problem?)

Advanced -> Onboard Devices

J-Micron eSATA/PATA = Enabled

Controller Mode [AHCI] (not IDE, problem?)

Power (not sure if relevant)

ACPI 2.0 disabled

ACPI APIC support = enabled

Drive Xpert Group 0 -> Normal Mode

Other details re 3tb issues:

Some threads suggesting install Asus DiskUnlocker - this installs, but crashes when I try to run it.

Seagate's website suggested installing Seagate Disc Wizard, which supposedly puts a driver in place that lets the 3tb drive be used properly, but I’m not sure how to confirm that this driver is actually running. In device manager, under Seagate Devices there is an entry for “Seagate DiscWizard Image Backup Archive Explorer” but driver date is 2005, and version is “not available”.

Should I keep either of these programs installed?

Several threads suggest I need a later version of the ICH10 driver to support 3tb drives, which I guess would be relevant when I want to start replacing the drives on those ports with 3TB drives. I tried to install the latest driver (iata_enu_10.8.0.1003.exe), but "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". It's not clear to me if these drivers are only for people who want RAID (I don't) or are necessary for any use of 3TB drives.

I suspect this failure to install the driver means I have to flip the storage configuration to AHCI in the bios, but I'd like some guidance on this with regard to my particular situation where I'm booting from an IDE disk and have tons of data on the sata disks that would be flipped from IDE to AHCI. Is my data at risk? Is my boot disk at risk? What do I need to do, just change the bios setting,  or also do the registry business that's been posted on other threads?

What exactly do I need to do to get 3TB drives working, and on which sata ports should I be using or not using 3TB drives, and why? Should I be cautious about using the Rosewill/Sonnet ports for any particular sizes of drive?

Is it cool to be using both DriveXpert ports as regular sata ports? There seems to be conflicting info on this. Can I put 3TB drives on those ports at all?

Do I need to post any more details to make this clearer? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for any insights and help.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Kenny
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1655
Posted:2/10/2012 1:58:00 AM # 2
Intel ICH10R supports drives over 2.2TB with Intel Rapid Storage Technology version 10.1 or higher (for single data disk) or version 10.5 or higher (for multiple drives in RAID). You may use single drives in sata RAID mode.

You must also use GUID Partition Table (GPT) format for drives greater than 2 terabytes (TB), which is the limit for MBR disks.

p
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/10/2012 4:25:00 AM # 3
Thanks for the fast response.
But what if the RST driver won't even install, as I described above?

Kenny
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/10/2012 8:02:00 AM # 4
In your BIOS what are the settings you have for
Storage Configuration
SATA Configuration
Configure SATA as

p
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/10/2012 9:08:00 AM # 5
That's all in my original post...

Kenny
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/10/2012 9:37:00 AM # 6
To use the Intel Rapid Storage Technology on the ICH10R, you need to set the SATA Configuration to RAID not IDE.

Since you are using the JMicron IDE Controller for your boot drive, I would disconnect all SATA drives from the Intel ICH10R controller. You can add them back in later thru Disk Management after updating the storage controller driver.

You should be able to update the driver thru the Device Manager.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver Diskettes is only about .30 MB in size. You need to uncompress the Zip file before using it. It is available from Intel downloads for Intel 5 Series Chipsets.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3151&DwnldID=20625&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Desktop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+5+Series+Chipset&lang=eng
The main IRST program software can be installed after updating the driver.

p
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/12/2012 11:39:00 PM # 7
Thanks so much. I'll post back when my kid stops puking long enough to let me try it out!

p
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/16/2012 3:42:00 AM # 8
OK, so following your instructions I set it to RAID in the BIOS, then installed the drivers and the RST software. That worked fine.

Then I plugged my drives back in. Now, powering up, those drives didn't show up in windows, and Device Manager showed that the ICH10R SATA Raid controller "could not start".

So, I guessed that perhaps the problem was that the BIOS was in RAID mode, but I didn't have any RAID arrays set up (as mentioned above, i didn't want to use raid). Never having used RAID, I didn't know what the next step was - was I supposed to configure it somehow as a bunch of single disks or something?

Anyway, I changed the BIOS setting to AHCI instead of RAID, rebooted again, and Win7 reinstalled all the old drivers. Once again, I installed the chipset drivers you linked to. Windows detected new hardware with regard to my drives, and a reboot or two later, here's how things look:

in Device Manager, no exclamation marks.

Under Storage Controllers:
Jmicron JMB36x
Sonnet Tempo (the rosewill card)

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers:
ATA Channel 0 6.1.7601 MS driver from 2006
ATA Channel 1  6.1.7601 MS driver from 2006
(are the above two the Drive Xpert connectors?)
Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller has the 17/10/2011 10.8.0.1003 driver
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller 6.1.7601 MS driver from 2006

Under the Disk drives tree in Device Manager, however, all the drives attached to the ICH10R controller are listed as having driver version 6.1.7600.16385, including the 3TB drive.

Is there some disconnect between the driver version reported for individual drives and the driver version reported for the ICH10R SATA AHCI controller, or does this all look as it should to you?

Should I be able to use the 3TB drive properly now?

Thanks!

Kenny
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/16/2012 5:42:00 AM # 9
I would go back to where you set it to RAID in the BIOS, then installed the drivers and the RST software. That worked fine.

Then plug one drive in and go to Disk Management. Activate the drive and assign it a drive letter. Then do the same for the others.

3 TB drives require a GPT partition. You can also format the drive if empty in Disk Management. Older MBR formats are limited to 2TB.

Also, when adding hard drives check the boot order in the BIOS. You may need to specify which hard drive is the boot drive.

Kenny
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/17/2012 2:01:00 PM # 10
Application that allows you to enable RAID on an Intel ICH-based motherboard after installing Windows with RAID disabled.

Often, enabling RAID in the system’s BIOS after installing Windows with RAID disabled results in the dreaded Blue Screen of Death

http://www.geek-republic.com/software/raidfix/

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.