Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5Q-E  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Asus P5Q-E bios New Topic
bootsy
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/30/2008 7:59:00 PM # 1
Hi all, first post, i have the above motherboard and a q9550 c1 stepping, the motherboard works great out of the box with i think it was 803 bios (was 8 something) after over clocking a bit i only changed the mem voltage and reduced and increased the cpu voltage and the computer was stable ran stressing progys all ok but if i then turn the pc off and switch off the mains supply when i switch it back on the computer starts then switches off then starts ok. It does not do this on every overclock only one so its prob the overclock i i maybe need to change some thing, the overclock that i get the trouble with is 3.4 gigs i have flashed the bios to the latest 1703, anyone any ideas, great motherboard by the way.

Bye,

Ian...

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18146
Posted:12/30/2008 9:46:00 PM # 2
Hi I..

What happens on startup if you leave the receptacle switch on maintaining standby power to the system at all times...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
bootsy
Level :
Posted:12/30/2008 11:49:00 PM # 3
Hi Ulrich, thanks for the reply, just tried over clock to 3.4 then shut down pc but did not switch off mains and it works fine, so only happens when i switch the mains off. My system spec is:

Asus p5q-e 1703 bios
Q9550 c1stepping
Tuniq tower
2 sata 2 hard drives not raided
2 gigs Corsair memory
Corsair hw620w psu

If you need any other info please ask.

Bye,

Ian...

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:12/31/2008 5:02:00 AM # 4
Hi b..

The issue is some problem in the CMOS power circuitry.  I have never seen this problem personally but have read about it on this and other forums many times.  When you switch off the system at the mains, the CMOS battery is supposed to maintain certain boot settings that you input.  Some will suggest that the battery is the problem but that is usually not the case.  There is something going on in the circuitry that discharges the CMOS irrespective of the battery backup.  Leaving the system on standy power bypasses the battery... and the issue.

So there is no particular suggestion that I can make except to say that you want your system on standby power all the time.  However, depending on where you live in the UK, your power grid or household wiring may have issues that make it prudent to switch off mains power at the receptacle.  Voltage spikes, surges, power droops can cause problems with a system even on standby.  An uninterruptable power supply might solve the problem if you switch off the mains due to bad power at your location.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
bootsy
Level :
Posted:12/31/2008 5:59:00 AM # 5
Thanks for the reply, this only happens when i overclock and shut the pc down and switch off the mains, when i switch the pc back on it retains all the settings ect and works fine, it is just that after shutting down and switching off the mains when i switch the mains back on and reboot it starts up for about 5 seconds then switches off then startsup, when it has restarted there is no problem with it all bios settings are retained and the pc works fine its just why it seems to switch off then restart, if i use auto on all bios settings shut down the pc and switch off the mains then re boot it boots up straight away without switching off in the startup sequence.

Bye,

Ian...

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:12/31/2008 6:08:00 AM # 6
Hi b..

That is a little different scenario and I expect that the BIOS is resetting the system.  This may be because there is a mismatch for some reason in the BIOS comparitor or checksum and the restart returns the BIOS to defaults.  If you can live with the system on standby instead of turning off mains power, that would be the best practice.

bootsy
Level :
Posted:12/31/2008 6:37:00 AM # 7
Hi Ulrich, thanks for your help, the bios does not reset or return to defaults everything is fine its just shutdown pc switch off mains then switch mains back on and restart fans ect for 1 or 2 seconds then it stops for about a second and seems to switch off completly then it starts up again fine, its just the switching off at startup it does not cause me any problems i just wondered why it did it, i have emailed Asus support about this just in case it is a problem and i should return the motherboard, i have posted this on another forum and another person has the same thing so i am not alone.

Bye,

Ian....

Logiman
Level :
Posted:12/31/2008 6:46:00 AM # 8

Hello!

This is not a fault. The board should do so when you shut it completely off, and don't let it in standby (not switch of the power with the switch on PSU).

The cause is, that they have made it more simple to overclock. If you change som setting while overclocking, and the system is tweeked so much that it won't boot or post, you simpley just need to turn of the main switch or pull out the powercord. Then you don't need to do the old fashion cmos reset by jumper. So when you switch of the psu main switch, it checks that the switch wasn't turned off due to bad settings. Since the setting is okay it restart and the current values are keept. Had the previous post or boot failed, it would have reset the values. Therfore it will start up, and shut off after 2 sek and then restart when the main is turned completely off. This is just normal for this card. 

It is also to be found some information about this in the manual.

bootsy
Level :
Posted:12/31/2008 9:15:00 PM # 9

Thanks for the replys, and Logiman you are right i emailed Asus tech support about it and got a reply the next day stating that thats the way it should be, very good service from Asus and good help on this board, happy new year to you all.

Bye,

Ian...

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.