Topic : [Problem]CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded New Topic
ale_prog
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/10/2009 9:58:00 AM # 1
[Sorry for my bad English]

Hi there

I've been using this MB for six months, no problems until yesterday.
Suddenly, my bios config reseted, dunno why. The POST gave me the message "CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded". Even the system clock stopped. So I thought it was a problem with the battery. Did a Clear Cmos by taking it off, changed the pin from position 1 to 2, got it back where it was, reinstalled the battery and booted.

After setting all the configs like I had them, booted Win Xp but everything froze after 10 - 15 minutes.

Restarted, and the same message appeared. And it keeps repeating until now, every time y turn on the pc or restart, my config disappears.

What is a mistery to me is that the system clock randomly keeps with the real time, or changes to 00:00:00 Jan 1 2008. In 10 reboots, 4 kept the clock settings, 6 didn't.

Did a BIOS update today, all worked fine. I'm using rev 1301 right now, but nothing changed.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, forgot my specs:
E6750 + CNPS9700
P5N-E SLI
2x2GB Supertalent 800 mhz
ATI 4850
Purepower 500w

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Epidemic30
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 16
Posted:1/10/2009 11:25:00 PM # 2
ale_prog,
  try buying an new cmos battery altogether man!!! i think the spec number is a 2032 battery. you can get them pretty much anywhere. whatever you do dont be flashing your system while its acting unreliably like that or you could end up with a paperweight!!! you got very lucky that that didnt happen with auto settings. nvidia boards run terribly with all auto settings. the best thing to do ius set up all bios settings manualy. if you need help doin that let me know....

MOBO:EVGA P67 FTW~~~CPU:I5 2500K @4.789 VC.1.368 w/ IC Diamond 24ct.~~~RAM:G.Skill PI 1600 Cas6~~~HDD:WD Caviar Black 750gb~~~PSU:PC P&C Silencer 750~~~GPU:EVGA GTX560ti Sc~~~PPU:EVGA GTX260 216 Sc 55nm~~~CPU HS/F:EVGA Sc Cooler(Modded) for P/P with Yate Loon's 88CFM~~~CASE:Lian-Li PC-V2010B (Modded)~~~OS:Win 7 64Bit Ultimate~~~Monitor:HP 2159m~~~Hd.Set:steelSeries Siberia~~~ ------------------------------------- First Boot Instructions for P5N-D(750i) here: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080616004242890&board_id=1&model=P5N-D&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
ale_prog
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/11/2009 1:38:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Epidemic30 Posted: 1/10/2009 11:25:00 PM

ale_prog,
  try buying an new cmos battery altogether man!!! i think the spec number is a 2032 battery. you can get them pretty much anywhere. whatever you do dont be flashing your system while its acting unreliably like that or you could end up with a paperweight!!! you got very lucky that that didnt happen with auto settings. nvidia boards run terribly with all auto settings. the best thing to do ius set up all bios settings manualy. if you need help doin that let me know....

Thanks dude, I'll buy a new battery on monday.

Treacy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/18/2009 8:24:00 PM # 4
Same story for me I am afraid.  Worked fine for about 2 months, then CMOS Checksum Error on boot. Most advice seems to be based on that offered with regards to changing the battery. 

Unfortunately, in my case this has not worked.  I have replaced the battery with a brand new one (Energizer Lithium 2032), with no improvement, and I now consider that there is a problem with the connection between the battery holder and the motherboard.

I cannot leave the mains power on, and I am now faced with either inputing the time and date every time I switch the machine on or sending the MB back to ASUS.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Simon

System:
600W PSU. P5N-E SLI. 2GB 533 RAM, Zotac NVidea GEForce 8600GT (256MB DDR3), 2 x 500GB SATA HDD, IDE DVD ReWriter, IDE CD-Rom writer.

Lombardo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:1/19/2009 2:10:00 AM # 5

HI

Have the option of a small backup power for pc.

Rice Gnat
Level :
Posted:1/22/2009 12:24:00 PM # 6
I'm having the same problem; worked without a hitch since I got it in June, then about a month ago it started acting up. The battery drains in a few days for me... SpeedFan reports voltages from 1.5V to 2.10V, whereas it used to be a steady 3.10V. I've gone through five new batteries in two brands, Energizer and RadioShack (Renata), all CR2032. The batteries measure around 2.5V on a multimeter outside of the socket, not sure what's going on there; I haven't figured out how to properly measure the voltage while it's in the socket, since I can't fit anything between the battery and the edge.

There are no visible shorts on the board, and nothing seems loose. This is getting quite irritating, any real help would be appreciated.

P5N-E SLI BIOS ver 1301
Q9300 @ 2.81GHz (375MHz x 7.5)
4x1GB Corsair XMS2 (750MHz 4-3-4-12-CR2)
EVGA 8800 GT SC
PNY Verto 8400 GS
Hitachi Deskstar 320GB (SATA)
Western Digital WD1600AAJS 160GB (SATA)
Optiarc DVD Writer (IDE)
Apevia Java 500W

Lombardo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/23/2009 12:06:00 AM # 7

HI

Are you sure using correct battery. Should be cr 2032 @ 3v.

Something is draining battery.  Need to check for power drain.  Is the computer plugged in all time. If yes then May have a MB that need repair ????

ale_prog
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/2/2009 8:53:00 AM # 8
Well, after a lot of test I've been doing, don't know why but after I have removed all my usb devices from the rear bracket, everything seems to be working fine.
Tryied with two different batteries, and nothing changed.

Lombardo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/2/2009 11:54:00 PM # 9

Hi

Glad to see it is working.for you.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.