Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5N-D  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]P5N-D AND CMOS Checksum Error New Topic
Tony
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/23/2010 7:19:00 AM # 1
Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help me out cause I've tried EVERYTHING and I can't fix this problem with my P5N-D motherboard.

Basically when I restart or shut down my computer I can't post on the next startup. The computer will show the bios screen then just turn off. I have to open the case, clear the CMOS through jumper and once I turn the computer on, it will be stable until I turn it off or attempt a restart.
Also everytime I make it to post, I see CHECKSUM ERROR - Loading Defaults

Here's a list of all the things I've tried to remedy the problem with ZERO success:

- Swap out PSU, Video Card, RAM, with working parts
- Put just one stick of RAM in all four slots
- Unplug all HDDs and CD drives and boot without them
- Take out CMOS battery and put back in
- Try a different working CMOS battery
- Put mobo in another working case to determine if case switches are the problem
- Bareboned switch to just POWER SW and still problem persists
- Test different voltages on the mobo/CPU/RAM but NOTHING saves on the BIOS.
- Updated BIOS to latest version via Flash Drive

Once I get into Windows I'm ok and the motherboard is stable and doesn't shut down. It's just I can't make any changes to the BIOS or restart/shut down the computer or else it will just keep crashing (shut off) while attempting to post.

I've spent hours on the internet researching possible solutions to this problem, but they all were dead end threads or something I've already tried. Please help!!

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
2x1 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
2x WD HDD @ 150 GB each
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO PCI-E
ASUS DVD-RW drive
Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Case

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3684
Posted:10/23/2010 10:18:00 AM # 2
Hi, sound like you might have a corrupt bios, and re-flashing it probably won't do any good, I'm sure you already tried that.  Unplug the power cord and gently push down on the bios chip to ensure that it's seated properly in the socket.  If you continue to have problems, send the board in for repairs or purchase a pre-programmed bios chip, you should be able to replace it yourself.

Biosman
CMOS Checksum Errors

Tony
Level :
Posted:10/23/2010 12:05:00 PM # 3
Thanks for your reply! I did flash the BIOS to the latest version with no difference. I've checked tbe BIOS chip to see if it's loose and there's no problem there.

I don't know if I explained enough in my first post. I think my computer's inability to restart on its own is causing me to be stuck in this "checksum error" because it's not saving anything from the BIOS. And ofcourse after I clear the CMOS and boot stable, the very next time I turn the computer off it will start to load the BIOS then just shut down.

This board is brand new, really doesn't make any sense. =\ The fact that I can get it to run stable at times makes me think maybe there's a way to remedy the situation but I just dont know.. All the other thread's I've found on the internet have gotten nowhere. =[

VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/23/2010 12:15:00 PM # 4
Hi, you've tried just about everything under the sun, good troubleshooting I might add.  I wouldn't waste anymore time on it and return the board to the place of purchase.  The P5N-D is a decent board when its functioning properly, have them send you another board and try it again.

Tony
Level :
Posted:10/23/2010 12:22:00 PM # 5
Ya I've pretty much decided thats what I'm gonna do. I'm just more curious about what may have initially caused this problem to come about... Cause this is my second board with the same issue now. =[

VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/23/2010 12:43:00 PM # 6
I have no idea why this keeps happening, next time you return the board get a refund, try one of the Socket775 Intel chipsets and see if you have better luck.

Tony
Level :
Posted:10/24/2010 5:09:00 AM # 7
Well I figured it out for anyone who is searching on the internet for this very same issue. My CPU went bad. Popped in another Core2 and everything was stable. Thanks for all the help guys!

VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/24/2010 5:17:00 AM # 8
Hi, glad you figured it out.  Rarely does a CPU go bad so I usually don't recommend replacing a supported processor, not to mention the cost of a processor.  In the same breath, a processor is prone to defect just like any other part...... anythings possible, hope you don't have any more problems.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.