Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5K  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Asus p5k Win 7 drivers New Topic
Taz
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/24/2010 7:37:00 AM # 1
Hey guys I upgraded to windows 7 a little while ago and i started getting alot of freezing, Randomly the computer freezes. Sometimes right away after the restart or sometimes hours after. I think its a driver issue with my p5k because i installed the windows vista drivers in compatibility mode. I am unable to find the p5k drivers for windows 7, All the other models have them for the p5k but not the p5k itself. I was wondering if anyone could help me out Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18324
Posted:3/24/2010 11:04:00 AM # 2
Hi T..

I think that at this point, you should consider reformatting and reinstalling Windows 7... and don't install any drivers unless you see an error indication in your device manager.  Windows 7 has a huge native driver library.... 

Use the Windows Update service first should you find that you actually need a driver...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Taz
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/24/2010 1:46:00 PM # 3
this is my 2nd time installing windows 7, and i had the same issue last time as well so i decided to reformat

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18324
Posted:3/24/2010 8:48:00 PM # 4
Hi T...

Did you install Vista driver on both occasions...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5065
Posted:3/25/2010 7:36:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Taz Posted: 3/24/2010 7:37:00 AM

Hey guys I upgraded to windows 7 a little while ago and i started getting alot of freezing, Randomly the computer freezes. Sometimes right away after the restart or sometimes hours after. I think its a driver issue with my p5k because i installed the windows vista drivers in compatibility mode. I am unable to find the p5k drivers for windows 7, All the other models have them for the p5k but not the p5k itself. I was wondering if anyone could help me out Thanks

Can you post your complete computer specs please
That freezes came from your ram

I always get the latest drivers from individual sites, Realtek audio, Intel chipset, Lan, graphics etc for best performance. Some people dont, but i think its better.

If you updated drivers from windows update(there are always a few if you havent installled them), like graphics drivers, lan etc i strongly dont recommend using windows update for drivers.

Its a good idea to go get the latest DirectX too if you are a gamer.

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
Sharkfood
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:4/2/2010 7:11:00 AM # 6
Did you recently update your BIOS at or around the same time you upgraded to Windows 7?

In my case, I had the exact same experience but it was due to the new BIOS having some values that were set to [Auto] being treated differently, and thus requiring manual adjustment between the older and newer BIOS.

New BIOS or not, you can also try to isolate if this is indeed a Windows 7 or driver issue or something new occurring with your computer.  Your best bet is to download memtest86+ and burn either to a blank CD or make a bootable floppy and let this run.   See if it can get through 1 to 5 passes without freezing.  As it's not even booting windows, freezing here will isolate it as something outside of Windows causing the instability.

In my case, it would usually completely freeze-up about halfway through Test #5 for some reason.  It would either be pass 1,2,3 or 4 but always on Test #5.  I had to change a few memory settings to get it stable and prevent freezes in Windows 7, this being a system that was 100% stable for over 2 years with Vista 32-bit.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.