ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5K  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]P5K and eSATA connection problem with WD Studio New Topic
Ridetheg
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/4/2008 6:48:00 PM # 1
Hi all,

I have a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition external HD which is not recognized at all by the eSATA connection on my P5K motherboard.

I have tried different set up such as using AHCI (from the BIOS settings) but still nothing.
I have the latest BIOS 0805 and JMicron drivers (1.17.31.00). Needless to say that I have tried to find my external HD through the Device Manager and the Disk Management as well.

This is becoming frustrating as I had bought this external HD for this reason, and the P5K mobo is playing tricks on me- Please let me know how if I have missed something, or what is the correct set up?

Thank you in advance-

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Johnnyg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/7/2008 8:58:00 PM # 2

Hi

I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm running Vista 64 Business edition.

Have you installed the JMicron drivers and set the the controller to AHCI? This is my next step, failing that I am going to order up a eSata PCI Express card and hope that works. I also have the problem of the onboard LAN not being there. Apparently removing the USB connections sometimes cures this. Maybe it will do something to the external eSata connection.

If anyone else out there can help it would be really welcome. This board has more bugs than any other ASUS board I have ever used.

djd
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:7/9/2008 8:10:00 AM # 3
>hi, I have an asus p5k motherboard jmicron controller.... 
I have various problems with the esata communication between my system (asus p5k + winxpprosp2) and the lacie d2 quadra esata harddisk 
>the problems are: >  >-freeze-slower system and harddisk, and slower transfer during copy files, from Lacie hd esata, to inside sata2 and ide hard disk. >-the Lacie esata hd, is not recognized sometimes, by the jmicron bios (start check) >  >I would like to know what operations are to do for making to work well the communication esata: >  >-do I have to select the option ahci in the bios asus? but will the other inside harddisks as the sata2 and the ide ata133, work well then? >-do I have to install a driver of winxp or intel for the function ahci? >-do I have to update the jmicron driver? as the 1.17.37WHQL? >  >excuse me, for the a lot of questions, but I am going crazy, I don't know thing anymore I have to do and as... yet Lacie esata harddisk and asus motherboard are new !!! >  >this is my sistem with drivers versions: >  >os: windows xp pro sp2 >
mb: asus p5k (bios 1006 (the last) + Jmicron original asus cd driver version 1.17.15.0) >
harddisk: 1 ide Maxtor ata133 120gb + 2 sata2 WD3200js 320gb 8mb + 1 Lacie d2 next quadra ESATA+firewire+usb 500gb 16mb >  >cpu: intel core2 duo 2.6 - 4mb >
dimm: 2 giga geil ultra800 ddr2

djd
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/9/2008 7:33:00 PM # 4
Do I wonder me... asus knows about this problem between the p5k motherboards and the esata comunication? possible that a way doesn't exist for correcting or to resolve the problem? ba... 8 (

djd
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/9/2008 7:43:00 PM # 5
I have tried various solutions... but without totally resolving the problems among the harddisk esata and the motherboard: 

1) I have changed the setting of the controller jmicron in the bios, from ide to ahci, but he doesn't resolve, rather it seems me that the system, or the other harddisks go slower. 

2) I have update the driver of the controller jmicron in windows, from the present original version in the asus cd, to the last version updated by the site jmicron, but he doesn't resolve 

is there perhaps a specific procedure for these operations, have I perhaps mistaken the footsteps? 
but I don't know how he does

djd
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/12/2008 8:14:00 AM # 6
hi to everybody! 

I have finally, resolved my problem of communication esata among external hd "Lacie d2 quadra next esata" and motherboard P5K, and I am pleased to explain you as I have resolved, hoping that can help someone of you ; ) 

1) I have eliminated the partition of the hd Lacie, windows uninstalled (management peripheral) and disconnect from the motherboard.
2) restarted the Pc, I have uninstalled the controller "Jmicron 36x raid esata/pata" in windows (management peripheral) 
3) restarted the Pc, I have reinstalled the controller Jmicron, with the last update driver (1.17.38 WHQL) 
4) after having turn off the Pc, I have connected the hd Lacie esata and turned on in "auto" position, no in "on" (always active) position.
5) restarted the Pc, the hd Lacie is automatically installed alone in windows, I have created the partition, and formatted.

as for magic, everything now works well, I succeed in copying, to transfer from inside hd files sata2 and pata, to hd Lacie esata, and vice versa, with a good speed... 

I have to say however that if I copy files from inside hd sata2 or pata, to external hd esata, the speed is really esata, while if I reverse, therefore I copy files from the external hd esata, to inside hd sata2 or pata, speed is not the same one as in the precedent case, but slightly smaller. 
this I believe is normal to this point, and however even if so was not, in comparison to all the problems that have had with this hd esata and the motherboard, I have to say that I am satisfied me! ; ) 

I hope to have been useful.

Derta
Level :
Posted:8/12/2008 10:15:00 AM # 7
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You have been most useful. All I had to do was uninstall the jMicron that was on the CD that came with my motherboard. Then I installed the one from the website and it works!!!

Thanks so much.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.