Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5K SE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Combatibility with vga cards. New Topic
Budie
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:7/7/2012 9:10:00 PM # 1
Hi all. I have the p5k se motherboard bios REV 1.00G. Will a video card pcie 2.1 or pcie 3.0 work on my motherboard, or do i have to update bios? Thanks in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 17843
Posted:7/7/2012 10:01:00 PM # 2
Hi B..

It should..  Best to do a bit of Googling and see if you can find examples of the board working with a PCI-E 2.0 card...  For example, 'Tweakboy' appears to be using a 560Ti PCI-E 2.0 card on his P5K series board..

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2062537

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Budie
Level :
Posted:7/7/2012 10:54:00 PM # 3
Yeah i agree I've seen examples of 2.0 working. But do i have to update my bios in order for the vga cards to be recognized? And what about pcie 3.0. Does it work with the latest bios for p5k se?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:7/8/2012 6:11:00 AM # 4
Hi B..

You just never know...  The PCI-E specification requres backwards compatibility...  but as you mention, in some cases, a system BIOS has problems taking to the firmware on newer PCI-E 3.0 cards.. 

Would a BIOS revision address such a problem with a PCI-E 3.0 card.. probably not due to the age of the board..  These boards are at end of life now.. as are the processor compatible with them. 

Finally, again due to the board's age, finding someone using a PCI-E 3.0 card on one is probably going to be difficult.. most folks have moved on to Sandybridge and Ivybridge systems with native support for PCI-E 3.0.  But if you try, post back what happens. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5065
Posted:7/8/2012 7:10:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Budie Posted: 7/7/2012 10:54:00 PM

Yeah i agree I've seen examples of 2.0 working. But do i have to update my bios in order for the vga cards to be recognized? And what about pcie 3.0. Does it work with the latest bios for p5k se?

You can only use PCI-E 2.0 and 2.1
PCI-E 3.0 is not backwards compatible

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
Ulrich
Level :
Posted:7/8/2012 10:30:00 AM # 6
Q: Will PCIe 3.0 products be compatible with existing PCIe 1.x and PCIe 2.x products?
A: PCI-SIG is proud of its long heritage of developing compatible architectures and its members have consistently produced compatible and interoperable products. In keeping with this tradition, the PCIe 3.0 architecture is fully compatible with prior generations of this technology, from software to clocking architecture to mechanical interfaces. That is to say PCIe 1.x and 2.x cards will seamlessly plug into PCIe 3.0-capable slots and operate at their highest performance levels. Similarly, all PCIe 3.0 cards will plug into PCIe 1.x- and PCIe 2.x-capable slots and operate at the highest performance levels supported by those configurations. The following chart summarizes the interoperability between various generations of PCIe and the resultant interconnect performance level:

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/base3/

Budie
Level :
Posted:7/8/2012 7:34:00 PM # 7
So buying a pcie 2.0 or 2.1 would be probably ok and compatible with my board, but a pcie 3.0 would really be a bet. I'll probably go with a 2.1 and hope it works and possibly i guess I'll need a bios update right?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:7/8/2012 9:38:00 PM # 8
Hi B..

Certainly it is more likely that a PCI-E 2.0 card will work.. there are many examples of folks using them on P5K series boards..  There is nothing in the Knowledge Base or in the BIOS notes that suggest a BIOS revision addresses video card issues...  so I think I'd just install the card and see what happens..  It it didn't work, then maybe consider a revision...

Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5065
Posted:7/8/2012 10:19:00 PM # 9

Quote:
Author: Budie Posted: 7/8/2012 7:34:00 PM

So buying a pcie 2.0 or 2.1 would be probably ok and compatible with my board, but a pcie 3.0 would really be a bet. I'll probably go with a 2.1 and hope it works and possibly i guess I'll need a bios update right?

If you decide to buy ATI Card you can only use up to 6900 Series

I still have this board and just upgrade the Video Card to ATI HD 6970 last month and it works perfectly. Just make sure you have 800w Power Supply. This 6970 is a power hunger card

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.