ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5E3  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Error Marvell 88E8056 New Topic
Bernd23
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/13/2008 7:26:00 PM # 1
Hi,

I have a problem with my MB P5E3. The BIOS Version is 1104. When i am disabling the Marvell 88E8056 in OS, the System becomes very slow and even hangs up. So i also have Problems when i install Windows Vista at AHCI mode. The system hangs up at the installation progress. So i have the 3th motherboard (every time after RMA a new one) and have tested 3 HDD´s, 2 power supplies and only with one RAM and so on. But there is still the same problem. So i search the internet and found on the GIGABYTE forum, that there is a problem with the same Marvell 88E8056 chip. They have an update tool for their MB which is like an BIOS update in the DOS. They have the REV 12 and have an UPDATE to REV 14. So after that update it should go. So i looked into my "Gerätemanager" device manager and see that my version is also REV 12. So could please anyone look up in your system what version you have. And please try to turn off the NIC in OS, and then start explorer or something else and wait a little bit. But only when the system is in AHCI mode.

Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
John47
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 108
Posted:8/14/2008 2:53:00 AM # 2
Hi Bernd23
Would changing revision12 to revision14 require a new Marvell chip on the ASUS board or are you sure that Marvell release a update to vendors such as ASUS to implement in their BIOS (as Intel do with their ICH9R ROM)?
I checked here and I also have Rev12 but my system is fine in AHCI mode, however I am using the marvell adaptor (just not the Marvell IDE).
John.

Bernd23
Level :
Posted:8/14/2008 6:00:00 PM # 3
Hi John

Yes i am sure that you can update the chip like an BIOS update. Did you check to turn off the NIC in OS by disabling it in network connections or device manager and then make a few restarts or open some programms? Did you turn off Marvell IDE controller in BIOS? Are there any problems with this IDE adaptor as i read it in another topic here?

I have a E8400 CPU, 2 x Corsair RAM CMX3 1024  DHX9, PSU Be Quiet, Samsung SATA II or WD 2500 AAKS SATA II as system HDD, and a IDE WD 5000 AAxx for DATA. The SATA HDD are running in AHCI mode. I couln´t install Vista when running in AHCI mode and when win xp is installed, i couldn´t install the driver CD form ASUS. It hangs up when installing the inf chipset driver. It also hangs when installing the Marvell NIC driver in Vista but after the hardware reset the installation works. I also have problems with power saving mode. The PC hangs up when entering in power saving state. Sometimes it works, but many times it doesn´t work.

So i install PC´s for about 10 years, but never had so big problems with the hardware. I don´t know what to do. My last option is to update the firmware of the 88E8056 Marvell chip to REV 14. If the hardware is broken down, i send it back to my dealer and then i will get a new one, but i don´t won´t a ASUS board again. I read through my forum´s, but asus have so may problems with teir motherboard´s. An the support is not good enough!

Please John let me know what happen, when you turn off your NIC in OS.

Thanks Bernd

John47
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/14/2008 9:24:00 PM # 4
I'll give that a try when I get home from work Bernd
However as far as I am aware the Rev12 is the actual revision of the chip (think of it as Stepping with CPU).
You cannot flash a C0 stepping Yorkfield to a E0 or C1 stepping Yorkfield.
I am hoping I am wrong and the Rev12 is just a ROM revision, however for it to have it's own DeviceID under device manager it does suggest it is a Hardware revision.
John

Bernd23
Level :
Posted:8/14/2008 10:50:00 PM # 5
id=result_box dir=ltr>Quote from Gigabyte Forum

... because many user installation problems or controller error, please refer to the 8056 Update V1.4 Marvell be made ...

I am always in the threads that many problems can be eliminated so ...

Important! Updating only used up the boards with Marvell 8056 LAN chip ...

Quote:
1. System hangs up when installing Windows Vista.
2. RAID array fails.
3. If the Marvell LAN is disabled in OS, system becomes extremely slow when copying files or even hangs up.

Picture:
http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/User_Images/M8056.gif

id=result_box dir=ltr>Download Version 1.4 -> Click me! http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/FileList/FAQ/mb_faq/faq_marvell_eeprom.zip

Info: flashing under DOS ... best with a boot disk!

id=result_box dir=ltr>USEFUL INFO for GA-965P-DQ6 Rev.2.0 BOARDS!

It seems as if the Gigabyte update is not working properly, 8056 when a chip is blocked, but a 8053 ROM programmed ...

(for those who device manager example, in a 8056 screen, it's no problem to update ...)

The users, the above problem (8056chip/8053rom), after the update nor the MAC address program ...

Simply click on the LAN jack the address from the white sticker off ...

and as a command A: \

YUKONVPD-M 0016C68E4CD2

Enter ...

YUKONVPD = is the program

- M = commands to the flash of the MAC address

0016C68E4CD2 = example for the 12-digit MAC address ... (see white sticker -> LAN connector)

IMPORTANT INFO!

If a fixed IP address, this absolutely free, before it updates, or possibly the IP can not be used and depends on the old notes LAN adapter!

Or at best before the LAN adapter in Device Manager completely uninstall!____________________________________
Quote End

This is just a translation with google, because the forum is in german. So this is only a ROM update, such as a BIOS update. So i am allready not at home to test the update from the gigabyte forum. You can download the ROM update at the link "click me". The device manager picture is on hyperlink above. So there is a .bat file and in this file i only have to change the Subsystem ID with my subsystem ID i think. And then it should work. I hope!

Can you take a look at this file?

Thanks Bernd

Bernd23
Level :
Posted:8/14/2008 11:02:00 PM # 6

Hi,

I also find this:

http://www.driverheaven.net/windows-vista-forum/131109-marvell-yukon-88e8056-sata-raid-problem-under-vista.html

or from Gigabyte:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_Model.aspx?FAQID=2372&ProductID=2422&ClassValue=Motherboard

Look at this!

John47
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/15/2008 7:03:00 AM # 7
Bernd
Those links were talking about the P965 processor which had a ICH8R SouthBridge, the X38 (which is the chipset on the P5E3) uses a ICH9R SouthBridge.
I do not experience the problems you do I am afraid, however I would suggest raising the SouthBridge Voltage to 1.20 if you are using a lot of USB peripherals and/or SATA devices @1333Mhz FSB or greater.
I have reported the request to update the LAN EEPROM but I am not sure if anything will happen.
John

Bernd23
Level :
Posted:8/16/2008 2:59:00 AM # 8

Hi John,

I have allready installed the new ROM UPDATE REV14. And now it works really fine with Windows XP. No crashes when i turn off NIC in OS and no iastor errors. I tested it many times. Do restarts with disabled NIC and so on. No freezes and no errors. I wonder why ASUS do nothing against this problem, and they said to me why do i disable the NIC in OS: I answered:"Because there are sometimes errors with the board and i testet it with serveral components and new RMA boards. This is very unprofessional form the ASUS co. They don´t help me with my problem. I have to solve it myself. That´s not the way, how they should make support.

I will send you a links with the modyfied update form Gigabyte forum. And you have allready the link with the original, so you can compare the update files, and the .bat file.

Now i test the system with my Vista image made before it started with the problems. I hope it works fine.

Have a nice day.

Bernd

John47
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/17/2008 12:11:00 AM # 9
Cool that sounds very interesting Bernd.
I am tempted to flash the eeprom to Rev14.
I have discovered a thread on another forum where someone has "modded" an ASUS Maximums Extreme BIOS to include the latest Marvell LAN Rev14 ROM and also the version 8 Intel RAID ROM.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?p=3011905
To quote REVHEAD, I wish ASUS would keep ontop of these things!
Sadly you cannot flash a P5E3 to a Maximmus Extreme because the ROM size difference.
John

Bernd23
Level :
Posted:8/17/2008 1:21:00 AM # 10
Hi John,

I am now running Vista on my system, no freezes and errors when i turn off NIC in OS with the same image as before the ROM update.

Now i am very happy about that. So i put the modified file onto my homepage where you can download it. Here is the link:

http://home.tele2.at/bernd2leitner/download.html

There is only one download link. Look into the device manager for the NIC and open the proporties. Look in details for if there is the same subsystem id: 81F81043. Before you start the update, you should uninstall all drivers of the Marvell NIC, because after the update a new hardware is detected and Windows would give the #2 for this NIC, if you don´t uninstall it before. Unzip the files and put it on a floppy . Then start the computer with a win start floppy and then put the floppy with the files on it into the floppy drive. Then start the eep.bat. After that wait a little bit. Then it should show you 3 times that the update was successful.

After the restart the OS should detect a new NIC and then it should show you in the device anager the REV 14. So install the latest driver version.

Give me a reply.

Bernd

1 2 3  Next  Last
:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.