ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP@n  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Realtek NIC Not At 1Gbps New Topic
JjcampNR
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:10/30/2008 1:58:00 PM # 1
Has anyone had issues getting their on-board Realtek NIC to connect at 1Gbps?  I've just moved that NIC from a 10/100Mbps NIC to a 1Gbps NIC and I can't get it to connect at 1Gbps for the life of me.  I've tried the latest drivers from the Realtek site but they only work at 100Mbps.  I'm trying to install the drivers (old version) from the download site or driver DVD but the installer doesn't look to be working, it seems to be locked up on me.

It's not a cable, duplexing, or switch port issue; I've tested all of these possibilities and ruled  them out.  The only options I see now are it's a chip issue, a Vista issue, or a driver issue.  I'm trying to determine the driver side and I'd like to avoid reinstalling Vista if possible.

Has anyone seen this connection speed issue with their NIC?   If so, what was the solution?  I emailed Realtek twice over the last week and have received no reply, so I'd appreciate any help that can be given.

Thanks!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Clarence
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 75
Posted:10/30/2008 7:53:00 PM # 2
Hello JjcamNR:

I'm wondering whether or not you have to have the right ISP connection speed first before your NIC can achieve that speed.

In past years and with various NICs I was never able to connect at that speed.  The fastest ISP connect speed I ever got was when I lived in South Korea.  There the ISPs mostly use fiber optic cable with a 100mb rate, yet I could never get my NIC, which did show the 1gb connect capability, to connect at all.  Always had to drop it down one level.

That's my experience; whether there is any merit to you is another story.

I hope others who are network experts chime in on this.  I'd like to know more too.

Good luck with achieving that connect speed.

C.

JjcampNR
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/30/2008 8:30:00 PM # 3
Thanks for the quick reply!  I'm talking simply about the uplink speed to my switch, not the actual throughput.  Typically when you connect a 1Gbps NIC to a 1Gbps switch it shows it's connected at that speed, just like how a 10/100 NIC would show it's connected at 100Mbps.  The problem is the Marvell NIC correctly shows it's connected at 1Gbps but nothing I do can get the Realtek NIC to connect at 1Gbps, it only goes to 100Mbps.  I did get the older drivers from the Asus page to install, unfortunately they didn't help so now the only options are to reinstall Windows and see if that fixes it.

I'm still looking for a better solution, if someone out there has seen this problem, please let me know!

JjcampNR
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/31/2008 12:58:00 PM # 4
I'm at a loss - does ANYONE have their Realtek NIC running at 1Gbps?  I booted into Ubuntu to make sure this wasn't a windows problem, it's not.  The info I got from the command prompt in Ubuntu was very interesting, the NIC shows it supports 1Gbps but shows it's only advertising up to 100Mbps (see output below).  This is definitely why it's not linking up at 1Gbps but doesn't explain why it won't take when I manually set it.  So to keep me from going insane trying to fix this, does anyone have it running correctly at 1Gbps or is everyone seeing it limited to 100Mbps for some unknown reason?

Marvell Yukon NIC @ 1Gbps
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mii-tool -v eth1
eth1: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok
  product info: vendor 00:50:43, model 11 rev 1
  basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
  basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
  capabilities: 1000baseT-HD 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
  advertising:  1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
  link partner: 1000baseT-HD 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control

Realtek @ 100Mbps
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mii-tool -v eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
  product info: vendor 00:07:32, model 17 rev 2
  basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
  basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
  capabilities: 1000baseT-HD 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
  advertising:  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
  link partner: 1000baseT-HD 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control

As you can see the Realtek doesn't advertise that it supports 1Gbps even through it does, very very strange!  You can also see under each "link partner" line that the switch is correctly showing the NIC it supports 1Gbps uplink so it's not a switch issue for sure.

Fleischmann
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/3/2008 9:03:00 AM # 5
Hello JjcampNR

I have the same problem. I have worked on this off and on over the last month but have not been able to resolve the problem. I went the this forum tonight hoping to find a solution ...... At least I found someone else with the same problem. I have upgraded to the latest BIOS version and latest drivers. Still have the problem. Never has run at 1 gig.

At least you know you are not the only one.

George

Fleischmann
Level :
Posted:11/6/2008 3:25:00 AM # 6
Hello JjcampNR

I have solved my problem. It was a physical layer problem. There were 2 cable problems. I replaced the cables and tested the physical layer end to end and then brought the system back online.

All is well.

I would suggest that you also give a very close look at your physical layer. I missed this this because I did not do a extensive physical end to end cable test. Since I had 100mbs connectivity I assumed all was well. I know better but just skipped that basic step.  My bad.

Good luck

All the best.

George

JjcampNR
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/9/2008 2:51:00 PM # 7
George,

Thanks for the post, and sorry for my delayed response, I was out of town on business for the last 5 days.  I'm going to crimp some new cable tomorrow and see if this clears up my issue, the one I'm using now is an old pre-made cable, you may be on to something.  I had run the cable through a cable tester and it came back OK, maybe it's just this particular Cat 5e cable isn't of high enough quality to handle the 1Gbps connection.  That would make sense seeing that the auto duplex was failing and setting it manually caused my system to freak out (it hung up completely as soon as I hit OK on the setting).  While Cat 5e is OK for short run GigE connections I may just go buy 50 feet of Cat 6 and crimp some cables with that to be safe.

I'll let you know if this clears up the issue for me, I greatly appreciate the post.

JjcampNR
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/13/2008 12:59:00 PM # 8
The oddness continues.  I replaced the cable with another one, and it linked at 1Gbps.  Since I ran the cable temporarily I unplugged it and ran it correctly and BOOM back down to 1Gbps with the same cable.  I figured it may be something along the cable run (along a floor for about 12', not even in a wall) so I unplugged it again and ran it along the same path as when it linked at 1Gbps, now it only links at 100Mbps. I figured MAYBE it's still a cable issue since this cable was hand made (by me) and using Cat 5e (brand new cable and ends), so I bought a high quality Cat 6 cable, still only links at 100Mbps.  Besides that one time for about 2 minutes I've never been able to get this NIC to link at 1Gbps.

Can anyone let me know approximately how long it takes for the link and activity lights to come on their Realtek NIC when they plug a cable into it (of course it has to be attached to a switch or other device at the other end)?  Mine seems to take an extremely long time to even link up, which leads me to believe there's something not quite right with the chip.  If I unplug the cable and plug it back in the NIC takes a good 30 seconds to a minute to even show a link light (orange 100Mbps link light, not the green 1Gbps), the Marvell NIC takes about 3 or 5 seconds to show the green 1Gbps link.

Any info someone could provide would be extremely helpful.  I think this needs to go back to Asus for repair but I really can't afford to go without my system unless absolutely necessary.  How long does your Realtek take to show a link light?  Any other related info would be greatly appreciated.

buggymonkey
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/13/2008 6:44:00 PM # 9
Hi guys

I seem to be having the same problems , or something similar.
I have vista64 sp1 and the latest drivers for both the realtek and the marvell .

at present I am just using the marvell lan port and a netgear 5 port 1gb/s swithc on a 1gb home network  linked to a 100mb firewall /router .

I have found that at least 50% of the time the p5e3 prem board will logon to the net at 100mb/s.

if I quickly pull the power cord out of the switch and plug it back in (less than a second )
the switch will now see connection as 1GB/s .....

I have also noticed as it boots up the lan starts at 100Mb/s ( on the switch ) and as Vista loads sometimes it changes , sometimes it doesn't.

it is almost like the switch isn't recieving the new transfer rate .

so far I have found no fix except  cycling the switch ....

I hope that is of some help

JjcampNR
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/16/2008 3:31:00 PM # 10
I'll have to try that, I have yet to get my Realtek NIC to link at 1Gbps again.  I haven't had luck in Ubuntu Linux, Vista 64 SP1, or ExpressGate (also Linux, but customized for Asus), the Marvell chip always works but the Realtek one is not sending the proper speeds out to the switch hence the reason why it doesn't link at 1Gbps (see my troubleshooting output above).  I think we need to give Asus a call on this and make sure they get this fixed.  The problem is that I'm not sure this can be resolved via a BIOS update, I thnk it's more than likely an RMA issue.  If anyone calls Asus can you post back with info?  I'll try next week but their phone hours fall in my work hours so it's hard, email support told me to call the phone line so that wasn't much help (as expected).

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.