ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5B-E Plus  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Motherboard won't post, no beep, memory defective New Topic
Eddy
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/16/2009 12:05:00 AM # 1
Hello,

Recently after shutting down my computer for the night I went to turn it on the next morning and nothing happened. I can see all the fan's spinning, the hard disks starts, the motherboard power led goes from blue (standby) to red but after that, nothing else happens, no error beeps, no POST.
It is not a new system, it has been running fine for about 2 years.

System Specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5BE-plus Motherboard bios 0638
4x 1gb Teamgroup Xtreem DDR2 800 RAM (2,2V)
Radeon X600 Pro 256 MB
Seasonic S12 500W PSU

I have to mention that the last weeks before this happened I got a few times a system crash with a blue screen. A few times I couldn't boot the system, but after a few switch off/switch on  it succeeded.

Following are the steps that I did in order to try to resolve the problem:

I checked the voltage on the different lines of the PSU, and all voltages were correct.
I removed all components except PSU, motherboard and CPU.
When booting I got some error beeps.
Then I added the memory modules, no beeps anymore and no POST.
So I tried the memory modules one by one, no luck until the last one. With this memory module I could boot the system without problem.

Since this problem suddenly appeared, does it mean that all the 3 memory modules became defective at ones? or might there be an underlying problem with the motherboard ?

Is there a way to test memory modules to know if they are really defective ?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:2/16/2009 12:33:00 AM # 2
Sounds like your memory died.  Try running memtest on each memory module separately for 2 passes.  Clearing CMOS may help.  Try each memory module in each memory slot separately and if the machine won't post with a particular module but will with another then I would say the memory is shot.  Call the memory manufacturer and request an RMA.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
uid0
Level :
Posted:3/8/2009 6:11:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: zerocool Posted: 2/16/2009 12:33:00 AM

Sounds like your memory died.  Try running memtest on each memory module separately for 2 passes.  Clearing CMOS may help.  Try each memory module in each memory slot separately and if the machine won't post with a particular module but will with another then I would say the memory is shot.  Call the memory manufacturer and request an RMA.

I have the same problem.
1. Cleared CMOS,
2. remove, clean contacts on graphics card and memory modules.
3. installed memory modules separately.

power light on but not able to reset or power off (4 secs). all fans running. No POST and no beeps. nothing seems to work.

Antec P180B
EVGA 7950GTO
2x1GB Kingston
2x1GB Twinmos
Seasonic 650WM12

Any suggestions?

zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:3/9/2009 1:04:00 AM # 4
Basic troubleshooting:
Connect a speaker (like THIS one for example) to the system panel connector so that you can hear the POST beeps.
Disconnect all hardware except main board power connection and the cpu+HSF.
1.)Disconnect the power cord from the PSU and clear the CMOS leaving the battery out and jumper moved for ten minutes (600 seconds).  Now try booting with no memory, but with video card installed--- you should get 'no memory detected' beep code, no beeps at all here means the video card may be faulty
2.) try booting with no video, but with a single stick of memory installed in slot B1 (you can try all slots if no beeps)---you should get 'no VGA detected' beep code, no beeps at all here means that the memory may be faulty or it may have a conflict with the board---try the other memory sticks now to see if any of them produce beeps
3.) try booting with both the single stick of memory and the video card installed-- you should get a single beep indicating a good POST---if so, go into BIOS and set the memory speed, timings, and voltage manually to manufacturer's specs

If you get no beeps during 2 & 3 then I would suspect the memory.  If no beeps at all then try booting the board from a tabletop, lying the board on cardboard to protect it---this will test for shorts to the case---repeat the above scenarios.  If no beeps or display at all ever then I suspect hardware compatibility, so verify the installed BIOS will support the cpu.  A small list of AMI BIOS beep codes can be found HERE.

If you feel that the BIOS is corrupt, you can also try THIS.   Also try naming the file the same as the ".ROM" file that is in the root directory of the original Asus cd that came with your board.  Don't forget that when using a flash drive for BIOS it should be formatted as fat32.

If all of this testing has failed and you get no POST beeps during any of this then you should call Asus tech support and suggest an RMA.  Flashing with AsusUpdate may not be covered by warranty, see THIS.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Eddy
Level :
Posted:9/23/2009 3:02:00 AM # 5
I already had a problem to get my system booted with 4 memory modules in the past (see first post 2/16/2009). By removing 2 memory modules I could solve the problem.

Until now the system was running fine (with only 2X1 GB), but since a few days I have again the same problem: cannot get the system booted, no error beeps and no post.

I tried clearing the CMOS but this didn't help.
By removing one of the two modules, I can get the system started, but only with one particular module and not with the other one.
Once the system is started (windows is loaded) and I shut it down and then immediately after adding the second memory module (and unplugging the power cable) I can boot with the two modules. If I then switch of the system and leave it switched off for a few hours, the same problem occurs again, but not when I boot the system right after a normal shutdown.

What might be wrong ?

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.