Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P4P800-VM  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]unable to open .rom file while upgrading bios New Topic
T20T
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/19/2007 10:21:00 AM # 1
I have a message on my pc right now that says "ERROR: Unable to open ROM file." while trying to upgrade my BIOS. My BIOS was a version 1004 and really needed to be upgraded so I was trying to go to version 1005 because I was not sure how high I could go because of how the wording was on this site downloading page about not flashing to 1008 and etc. So I wanted to try 1005 before I went any higher. So I downloaded that to my desktop. Got a new floppy disk and full formatted it and put ms-dos startup on it, plus the AFUDOS utility and then unzipped the 1005 (ppvm1005.rom) file on it. Then I restarted my computer, typed in "a:\>afudos /ippvom1005.rom" and it came up with:

AMI Firmware Update Utility - Version 1.19(ASUS V2.21(05.09.06BB))
Copyright (C)2003 American Megatrends, INc. All rights reserved.

WARNING!! Do not turn off power during flash BIOS
Search necessary information

ERROR: Unable to open ROM file.

..I know the first step is not to turn off or restart my computer so I haven't. I need to know now what I can do, can I take out the floppy disk and put in another one? If so what do I download and put on there? I do not have a backup disk of my "current" BIOS settings. I read I could try the newest version, would that work? Please help me.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18104
Posted:12/19/2007 10:44:00 AM # 2
afudos /ia:\p4p800.rom

You can revise to the latest non beta BIOS without going step by step.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
T20T
Level :
Posted:12/19/2007 10:54:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Ulrich Posted: 12/19/2007 10:44:00 AM

what do you mean by the first part (sorry to ask) if I type that into my screen it says its unable to read that rom file . i think i will work on the latest non beta version and see if that works but in the mean time i want to make sure i am not going to mess it up with what you wrote.

zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:12/19/2007 10:55:00 AM # 4
The file name cannot be longer than 8 characters, not including the file extension.

Beta BIOS is for testing purposes only, beware the Betas.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
T20T
Level :
Posted:12/19/2007 11:00:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: gnolnats Posted: 12/19/2007 10:55:00 AM

The file name cannot be longer than 8 characters, not including the file extension.

Beta BIOS is for testing purposes only, beware the Betas.

so just keep it under 8 characters? sorry I am getting more confused

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:12/19/2007 11:05:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: T20T Posted: 12/19/2007 10:54:00 AM

Quote:

what do you mean by the first part (sorry to ask) if I type that into my screen it says its unable to read that rom file . i think i will work on the latest non beta version and see if that works but in the mean time i want to make sure i am not going to mess it up with what you wrote.

Sometimes even if you are at the 'a' prompt, you have to tell afudos where to get the BIOS image...  in your case from drive A, the floppy.  If you continue to have difficulty with DOS, read in your manual about 'EZ Flash'...  much easier

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:12/19/2007 11:09:00 AM # 7
It doesn't sound to me like you have read your owner's manual.  The ".rom" file cannot be longer than 8 characters, so rename it after you unzip it.  You can also look in the root directory of the original cd that came with the board to see what the ".rom" file there is named and name it the same, changing the numbers to match BIOS revision.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
T20T
Level :
Posted:12/19/2007 11:23:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Ulrich Posted: 12/19/2007 11:05:00 AM

Quote:
Author: T20T Posted: 12/19/2007 10:54:00 AM

Quote:

Sometimes even if you are at the 'a' prompt, you have to tell afudos where to get the BIOS image...  in your case from drive A, the floppy.  If you continue to have difficulty with DOS, read in your manual about 'EZ Flash'...  much easier

i don't have a manual lol :) my bf sent me the pc and he lives across the globe from me so I have been doing this by a lot of work. Good news is that I just finished updating BIOS to 1018 (newest version) and its up and running good now, thank you so much for your help, without knowing i could just jump to the latest one I would have been stuck (and my heart was just going crazy nervous) thank you :)

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:12/19/2007 11:32:00 AM # 9
Hi T

Glad you got it all figured out.  Should you have any more problems, someone here will help...

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.