Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Maximus III Formula  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]CPU Q-LED is red New Topic
ezytgr
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/19/2010 8:20:00 PM # 1
i have just built my first pc. The first time i tried to boot it up it didnt post, the monitor didn't detect a signal, everything else worked fine in my case. The Q-LED CPU was red.
Could it be something wrong with the CPU or motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18264
Posted:1/19/2010 10:17:00 PM # 2
Hi e..

There could be... but first, do you have both power supply connections made to the board.. the 24wire EATXPWR as well as the 4wire or 8wire EATX12V....

Did you case come with a small speaker and if it did, is that speaker connected to the system panel connector..?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
ezytgr
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 10:40:00 PM # 3
yes, both 24 and 8 pins are connected and the speaker is installed. The cpu led stays red and won't post 

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 10:44:00 PM # 4
The next thing to do is to remove all your memory and then start the system.  Under those circumstances, you should hear a POST error beep pattern from the speaker...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
ezytgr
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 10:58:00 PM # 5
I didn't hear the post sound from the speaker after removing the memory..

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:26:00 PM # 6
Hi e...

That indicates that the processor is not running....  Diagnosing why long distance is difficult but the usual reasons are that the EATX12V power supply connection is not properly made, there is a defect in the power supply which is causing a problem on the +12vdc power bus or there is a short somewhere to the case.  You have already checked that the EATX12V connection is made and since it is a new system, the power supply is probably OK.... so that leaves the possibility of a short to the case.

The only way to diagnose that possibility is to remove the mainboard and the power supply from the case and set up a minimally configured system on some non conductive surface like a piece of cardboard or a wooden table.  Then with the CPU/Heatsink/Fan, one memory module, video card, monitor, mouse and keyboard.. plug in the power supply and see if the CPU_LED still lights.  If it doen not, then the problem was a short.  If it still does, there there is a problem with the CPU socket, the installation of the processor or with the board itself.

Fisette
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 45
Posted:8/27/2010 5:42:00 AM # 7
You're not alone [user: ezytgr] I also have the same glowing CPU Q_LED and my video card will not post.  I think this mobo is also DOA.
System: Rampage Extreme III motherboard, i7 980x, Corsair H70 cooler, 24GB of G.Skill Trident memory, V8800 Video card, Drive specs don't matter at this stage.

I've tried everything suggested above.  I've decided, rather than return everything but the Rampage III motherboard... I'm going to return the motherboard and buy one that WORKS!

FOLLOW UP - As mentioned, I exchanged my DOA Rampage III for a new one and upgraded my power supply from 800W to Ultra X4 1200W.  That seemed to do the trick. The mobo posted on the first try.  I'm not sure if the mobo was DOA or if I just needed a lot more power.  I hope this helps.

NEW PROBLEM!!
Now my mobo SATA ports not working with my slave drives.  I've installed my WIN 7 64bit and the rest of my software on my 256 SSD primary drive and everything works great until I power down and connect any additional internal SATA drives.  These drives are all 2TB. When I boot back up with any additional internal SATA drives the bios stops boot just before windows 7 logo displays and all you see is a black screen and a blinking cursor top left of screen. I've tried this with 3 separate internal SATA drives so the drives can't all be defective. I get the same blinking cursor with any of the 3 drives.  When you unplug all internal SATA drives with the exception of the SSD boot drive the computer boots completely to windows... Do I need to change something in the BIOS? Any suggestions would be great.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.