ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Maximus Extreme  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Maximus Extreme Memory (RAM) that actually works?? New Topic
scso1502
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:5/26/2009 7:16:00 AM # 1
The forums here for the Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard are filled with questions from frustrated customers about how to make this board work with different types and amounts of RAM. I have yet to read a post in which someone says they are actually able to get this board to work with more than 2 RAM chips; specifically using four 1GB chips seems to be especially troublesome.

I've read responses from people saying to upgrade from 1 GB chips to 2 GB chips. Others say forget trying to make this board work with four DDR3-1333 or four DDR3-1600 because it never will; just drop back to DDR3-1066 or DDR-800 instead. And then there are the millions of settings that are recommended by all the good-hearted folks trying to help but that still lead to no stable resolution.

Forgive my logic, perhaps it's flawed. But to me, it just shouldn't be all this difficult to install some RAM, set the board's memory settings to AUTO and be done with it. No overclocking, no speed race, just plug and go. If the Auto settings don't work, then a BIOS update should be done to correct this. Why I should people have to tweak their memory voltages and speeds when all they I want to do is use the board at it's factory settings? A bunch of others here scratching their heads right along with me on this. I've done dozens of PC builds and this board is the single most frustrating product I've ever used when trying to plug and go with RAM.

So I have some questions for all of you. Your responses will surely help every owner trying to get the board to work for them when adding memory.

1. Does anyone out there have a stable Asus Maximus Extreme system that has all four RAM slots occupied with 1GB Chips?
2. If you do, what specific type brand, model# and type RAM are you using?
3. What O/S are you running?
4. What BIOS version are you running?
5. What are your BIOS RAM settings that make your memory stable in your system
?

I think I'm speaking for all the frustrated Maximus Extreme owners when I say I would gladly throw my memory in the trash and buy anew if someone with a stable system can point me to the right stuff. But since so many people bough DDR1333 1 GB memory chips, I'd really like to find another solution for those people.

If no one can off one, this board goes up for auction on eBay in a week. After a year of frustration and no help from Asus, I'm done with it. There's simply no excuse for a $350.00 motherboard to have such a difficult time with memory configurations. And for Asus not to do a better job resolving such a problem is a tragedy. Asus has slipped over the past few years and I'm very disappointed by that.

Thanks in advance for helping everyone out with your detailed replies!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5085
Posted:5/26/2009 8:19:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: scso1502 Posted: 5/26/2009 7:16:00 AM

The forums here for the Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard are filled with questions from frustrated customers about how to make this board work with different types and amounts of RAM. I have yet to read a post in which someone says they are actually able to get this board to work with more than 2 RAM chips; specifically using four 1GB chips seems to be especially troublesome.

I've read responses from people saying to upgrade from 1 GB chips to 2 GB chips. Others say forget trying to make this board work with four DDR3-1333 or four DDR3-1600 because it never will; just drop back to DDR3-1066 or DDR-800 instead. And then there are the millions of settings that are recommended by all the good-hearted folks trying to help but that still lead to no stable resolution.

Forgive my logic, perhaps it's flawed. But to me, it just shouldn't be all this difficult to install some RAM, set the board's memory settings to AUTO and be done with it. No overclocking, no speed race, just plug and go. If the Auto settings don't work, then a BIOS update should be done to correct this. Why I should people have to tweak their memory voltages and speeds when all they I want to do is use the board at it's factory settings? A bunch of others here scratching their heads right along with me on this. I've done dozens of PC builds and this board is the single most frustrating product I've ever used when trying to plug and go with RAM.

So I have some questions for all of you. Your responses will surely help every owner trying to get the board to work for them when adding memory.

1. Does anyone out there have a stable Asus Maximus Extreme system that has all four RAM slots occupied with 1GB Chips?
2. If you do, what specific type of brand and type RAM are you using?
3. What O/S are you running?
4. What BIOS version are you running?
5. What are your BIOS RAM settings that make your memory stable in your system?

I think I'm speaking for all the frustrated Maximus Extreme owners when I say I would gladly throw my memory in the trash and buy anew if someone with a stable system can point me to the right stuff. But since so many people bough DDR1333 1 GB memory chips, I'd really like to find another solution for those people.

If no one can off one, this board goes up for auction on eBay in a week. After a year of frustration and no help from Asus, I'm done with it. There's simply no excuse for a $350.00 motherboard to have such a difficult time with memory configurations. And for Asus not to do a better job resolving such a problem is a tragedy. Asus has slipped over the past few years and I'm very disappointed by that.

Thanks in advance for helping everyone out with your detailed replies!

OMG! No one replies on this thread!

That is a GOOD QUESTIONS
Guys! Let us help each other here

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
Dreamstar
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/28/2009 6:33:00 AM # 3
Ive got Corsair XMS3 in mine.... 2x2GB Sticks running at 1333.... no problems at all

think its 1104 BIOS im running under Windows 7 RC1

RitchieRitch
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/29/2009 2:31:00 PM # 4
I never used 4 slots.
Let me answer to the best of my ability this way:
I'm running Intel Q 9650 quad OC'd  to 4.014 gigs Bus speed 446 x 9 multiplier = FSB 1784 ( for some unknown reason I can't get a 8 multiplier to work)
2 x 2 gigs Patriot 1800 ddr3 @ 1427 ( ratio memory to FSB is 5:8
Single XFX GTX 285 air cooled video card
Koolance/Lian Li liquid cooled case w/1kw heat dissapation
Corsair 750 Watt sli ready Power supply.
No problems except an occassinal Det Dram error.
1302 bios..

Before I upgraded to the Q 9650 I used the same hardware setup ( it evolved to what it is today)with the E 8400 and I could use the multilier 8 @ 400 Bus speed = 4 gigs FSB @ 2000 memory @ 1601
bios 1104, 1202 and 1302 worked.
Stable
The stock speed of both the E 8400 and the Q 9650 is 3 gigs.
OC'd to 3.6 gigs the memory to FSB ratio is 1:2 above that it changes to 5:8 ratio

My hard drives are 1-150 10,000 rpm raptor main drive and 2-150 gig 10,000 rpm raptors in a stripe array.
This is my second maximus extreme mother board. The first one I had to return because I couldn't set up raid in bios. No fun draining the system.
The second board didn't work until ASUS came out with a beta bios 1001 or something like that. I forget.
I have been using this mother board since last March and it been good to me. Just the usual "blue screens of death" that one gets living the life of an overclocker. An overclocker has to know his limitions. lol

Oh yeah, My OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I don't know if this looong post helps but it is what has been working for me..

P.S. I got rid of all the asus AI stuff. The Asus overclocking software and just did all my changes manually in bios and that's what turned things around for me.

scso1502
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:6/3/2009 7:53:00 AM # 5
Well, judging by the fact that no one using all 4 RAM slots on this board has replied to this thread, I guess it's safe to say that others have been suffering like me as well. It appears that trying to get this board to work with 4 RAM chips is simply a waste of time. Sad.

Anyone reading this thread should stay away from this board in my opinion. I have already replaced it with a Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P Motherboard found here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4410100&CatId=1533

That board worked with all 4 chips installed right out of the box, just like this one should have. It was $150.00 less than I paid for this one too. Sorry Asus, I may be back to visit, but not likely.

Thanks to all that replied.

Sebastian
Level :
Posted:6/6/2009 1:34:00 AM # 6
scso1502 - I couldn't have written a better post describing my situation regarding this mobo. Please check my other post at this forum: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080901180549062&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
and a bit more here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-258207_12_0.html#t1815020

Currently I'm using TWIN3X2048-1333C9 DDR3 4X1GB DDR3-1333  but the problem I have (freezing issue) is not only when using 4 sticks of RAM but as well as only two of them. I tried really everything - lately switched to a new PSU - with no change at all. RAM itself seems to be stable - tried running it from 1.52v up to nearly 1.8v (really hard to say what values are correct as the mobo is overclocking some values while underclocking others) - which gave no change in functionality, but as well no change as to the freezes. I bought maximus over one year ago, gave up auto settings already long time ago and tried since then with manual - changed a lot of them - NB, SB, PCU, RAM and some others - looking at the advices I got on other forums - changed OS (winxp32, vista64), switched audio cards, new psu, switched network from wifi to ethernet and much, much more - everything with no result - next week i'm gonna tried to reinstall the system on a new HDD - but I doubt it could be HDD issue - with hard drive failure it would be more regular I suppose. Well if that won't help I will probably have only one more step to go - new motherboard.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.0GHz | ASUS 9800GTX @755/2350 TOP | ASUS Maximus Extreme | Asus Silent Knight II | Corsair XMS3 TWIN3X2048-1333C9 DDR3 4X1GB DDR3-1333 | Tagan BZ PipeRock Series 700W | Creative X-Fi Titanium Professional | 2x SEAGATE Barracuda ES.2 7200 500GB SATA II 32MB | NZXT Apollo Black | A4tech XL-750BF | Acer 19' P193WD |
RitchieRitch
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/15/2009 10:27:00 AM # 7
I retired mine and went out and bought a Striker II extreme with the Nvidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI chip. The last of the 775's I'll try. I got a good deal on a QX9650 Extrreme CPU so what the hell. It's way more complicated than I anticipated in bios. It's a good thing I retired so I have the time to mess around. LOL Suppossedly this MB was built for 1600, 1800 and 2000 DDR3. I have the first 2. I let you lnow if I have any success or if it is on to E-Bay and then the i7.

Habermacher
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 431
Posted:6/19/2009 11:47:00 PM # 8
Im running fine.

Amd Phenom X6 1090T, Asus Crosshair IV Formula BIOS 0602, 4x2GB OCZ C8 1600MHz, Sapphire 4890 1GB CCC 10.4, 2X250GB RAID 0, Thermaltake 1200W PSU, Win 7 Ultimate x64, Coolermaster Cosmos S
mikehunt
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:6/22/2009 10:36:00 PM # 9
Hi!

Been a while since I was on here as I have everything stable now. I have exactly the configuration
that you're looking for:

4 x OCZ XTC Platinum OCZ3P18001G
CPU Intel QX9650
BIOS 1102
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

To run at stock speeds (1333MHz), all I needed to do was set the DRAM voltage to 1.80.
Everything else is standard.

I can also achieve a stable 1600MHz memory clock and 3.6GHz instead of 3GHz on the QX9650 with the following BIOS settings:

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
OC From Memory Level Up - PC3-12800
CPU Ratio Setting - 9.0
FSB Frequency - 400
PCIE Frequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600
CPU Voltage 1.325
DRAM Voltage 1.88
CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

It is quite possible to get the Maximus Extreme working with 4 x 1GB DIMMs, but it takes
lots of trial and error to find out what will work for your system. I tried many 'recipes' from other users in the beginning without success. Also, some users' suggestions are totally crazy in terms of voltages applied to the CPU and Northbridge and are likely to fry your very expensive CPU in record time!

I had loads of trouble before BIOS 1102, so you'll need to upgrade to at least this version if you are looking for stability with four DIMMs.

Mike.

Maximus Extreme, QX9650 Core 2 Quad Extreme CPU, 4 x 1GB OCZ3P1800G OCZ Platinum PC3-14400 DDR3 Memory, 2 x GeCube HD3870 OC Edition Graphics Cards in Crossfire Mode, Zalman ZM750HP 750W PSU, 2 x WD1500AHFD RaptorX 150GB Hard Drives, 4 x ST3500320AS Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 Hard Drives. Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Case, Samsung SH-S203P Lightscribe DVD Burner, Watercooling via Thermaltake Bigwater 760i on NB and CPU
DarkeKun
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/24/2009 4:35:00 AM # 10
Im running with 4x1GB, but thats as DDR2 ram, i dont know if this rly is the same board, but, it is called maximus extreme.
I dont got any problems with it, it runs smoothly for me, but, not one system is the same.
Im also running a 32bit system, bourght the 4GB, in hope to get a decent 64bit system running, but no 64bit system supports all the software im using, and hardware :S

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.