ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M4A78T-E  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Ethernet Port Not Working New Topic
Nick
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/5/2011 12:06:00 AM # 1
Purchased this board with a new CPU and everything ran smoothly. I recently added an upgraded video card about 3 weeks after completing the install of the board and cpu. Upon doing so internet connect was no longer available. The ethernet port was not detected in the hardware manager and no lights were present on the port for connection. My router, cable, and internet work fine so they are not the problem. Additionally, the USB ports that are on the same block as the LAN port work fine. Is it possible that just the LAN port died? I reinstalled windows and the drivers, but to no avail (yes, LAN is enabled in bios). I have since purchased an NIC adapter, but would like for the onboard to work as this board is only a month and a half old.

PC:
Board: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Video Card: XFX HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
PSU: Thermaltake - 600W TR2 ATX

Thanks in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18321
Posted:3/5/2011 1:19:00 AM # 2
Hi N..

Does the port get initialized if you uninstall the ethernet controller and then restart the system...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Nick
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/5/2011 1:29:00 AM # 3
I will test this on my lunch break from work. In the event that it does not initialize, would this indicate a dead LAN port? I find it odd that the usb ports in the same block owrk flawlessly.
Thanks

Nick
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/5/2011 1:51:00 AM # 4
Actually the drivers have since been uninstalled by me. When i go to reinstall the drivers I get a message that an atheros ethernet controller cannot be found. So it is not being recognized at all.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:3/5/2011 2:58:00 AM # 5
Hi N..

Does that particular controller show up in the Device Manager...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Nick
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/5/2011 10:47:00 PM # 6
No. No lights, no connection, not in device manager, and not found. But the USB ports work fine.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:3/5/2011 11:26:00 PM # 7
Hi N..

I guess the controller chip could have failed...  You mention that this didn't occur until you installed and 'upgraded' video card..  does that mean you had a video card installed from the beginning.. or that the upgrade was from the onboard graphics to the video card...?

Nick
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/6/2011 3:30:00 AM # 8
It was an upgrade from another dedicated graphics card, not from onboard video.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:3/6/2011 10:22:00 AM # 9
Hi N..

I'd have to say then that there has been a hardware failure...  unless the port comes back when you install the old card..  Returning the board might be a consideration here...

Nick
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/6/2011 11:59:00 PM # 10
Thanks for the help. I figured as much. The board is still new so i may sit on it for a bit as an RMA is bound to be met with a refurb. Do you see an long term implications with keeping the board? RMA processes are an absolute pain and take forever.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.