Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M4A78T-E  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Wont Power -up New Topic
dolomite
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/21/2010 4:16:00 AM # 1

I need a little help.  I built a system with the specs below. It worked finr for a few weeks and then it stopped pwering on.  I switched out for an identical M4a78t-e mobo and got the same result.  I have tried with one memory stick, I have tried different power supply and still the same result.  I have the 4 pin power and the 24 pin connected.  What could it be?  Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

These are the Specs:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX60600515

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard60600515

XCLIO Godspeed One Advanced Fully Black Finish 0.5 mm SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
600 watt ATX Power Supply

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 17824
Posted:7/21/2010 4:29:00 AM # 2
Hi d..

You mention that it stopped powering on... does that mean nothing happens when you press the power button...  or that the system starts but will not boot up...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
dolomite
Level :
Posted:7/21/2010 7:20:00 PM # 3
The Green Light on the mobo is on and the CPU fan takes a 1/4 inch turn. The fan at the bottom of the PSU does the same, 1/4 inch turn when I press the Power button. That is all it does.  Its as if it gets a quick surge of power then loses it.  The computer did work for a couple weeks before this started happening.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:7/22/2010 12:46:00 AM # 4
Hi d..

That seems to suggest that either the power supply has failed... or somehow a short has developed between a power trace and the computer case. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
dolomite
Level :
Posted:7/22/2010 3:30:00 AM # 5
definitely not the Power supply.  I switched it out and it works fine in the other computer.  I also purchased a new one and went up to 600w from 550.  I gues it must be something with the case then.  Should I replace the case?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:7/22/2010 10:21:00 AM # 6
Hi d..

First thing to do is to simply the system ... and then see of the same thing occurs.. and then if it does, you need to remove the mainboard and the power supply from your case and set up a minimally configured system outside the case on a piece of cardboard...  Then with the CPU/Heatsink/Fan, one memory module, video, monitor, mouse and leyboard.. short the two pins on the board where you connected the power button wiring with a small screwdriver to start the power supply.. just a touch will do..  If there was a case short, the power supply will start.

dolomite
Level :
Posted:7/22/2010 9:08:00 PM # 7
Same result when on cardboard and shorting the pin.  It is a brand new Power supply, and a new  mother board.  I cant imagine the same thing being wrong with both M4a78t-e motherboards.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:7/22/2010 10:24:00 PM # 8
Hi d..

What can cause this in some cases is an incompatible power supply.... one that has problems properly signaling the BIOS.  Is the power supply made by Corsair or Antec...?

dolomite
Level :
Posted:7/22/2010 11:07:00 PM # 9
Eagle voltas 600 w .

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:7/22/2010 11:52:00 PM # 10
Hi d..

I think what I would do is write to them about the issue...  and in the mean time, if possible, see if you can borrow a different supply for testeing purposes...

http://www.eagletechusa.com/contact.asp

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.