Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How to enable hibernation support? New Topic
Gerhard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:11/20/2009 6:26:00 PM # 1
Hello,

I just installed WinXP Pro x64 on a M4A78T-E mobo with 4GB of RAM. Normally, there is a Hibernation tab in the Power Option control panel, where hibernation can be enabled. But not with this installation.

Does anybody know what I have to do to enable hibernation (so that it is available in the shutdown options)?

Thank you,
Gerhard

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Gerhard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:11/22/2009 7:31:00 PM # 2
To answer m own question: see the MSDN article You cannot put a computer that has more than 4 GB of memory into hibernation in Windows XP, in Windows Server 2003, in Windows Vista, or in Windows Server 2008.

I asked Asus tech support the same question I asked here. The answer wasn't really helpful: "ask Microsoft". So I searched a bit more than I had already before asking, and found the above linked MSDN article. Apparently Microsoft has decided that their customers shouldn't want hibernation in systems with more than 4 GiB of RAM (and even with 4 GiB, you may have to jump through some hoops to make it work; see the article).

You'd think that they leave that up to the user -- but then, that's Microsoft. One more incentive to switch things around: So far, Windows is my primary OS and Linux is a secondary one that I use for occasional testing and education. But Microsoft is giving me ever more incentives to make Linux my primary OS and use Windows only when needed (for testing and for the applications that don't have a Linux equivalent). Windows running in a VM under Linux can hibernate... :)

You'd also think that the tech support guys at Asus know about this, and can answer with a simple "you can't hibernate under Windows with more than 4 GiB of RAM" rather than telling their customers to contact Microsoft for an answer.

Bummer.

csj
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 332
Posted:11/23/2009 4:12:00 PM # 3
They're probably not aware of it...  I wasn't aware of it either.  The only system I have ever used Hibernation on is my older laptop (1GB RAM) anyway.  Good info to remember for future reference in case somebody else asks again down the line sometime, thanks.

Linux has always given me headaches.  I usually have something odd in my system configuration that gives Linux a hard time though.  One of my systems only works on ONE build of Linux, but cannot function past 800x600 resolution (not a good resolution to run on a large monitor).  Every other build of Linux I have tried on that box either fails to install or ends up completely unusable after installation. 

I had one computer that would work well with most builds of Linux, but there was always just one thing I needed that never worked, and that one thing was different depending on what build of Linux I was using: one had no audio, one was stuck in a single resolution, one just would not run SQL, another wouldn't run Apache, list goes on.  On the other hand, I was able to setup and fully configure an XP Pro based webserver in just a few hours, that turned around and ran 24hrs a day for 3 YEARS (03-06, closed down my websites in 06) in my house with the only ever downtime due to: my ISP doing work on the network in my area, one power outage that lasted longer than my UPS, power supply was failing so I scheduled a 4hr downtime to replace the PS/clean out the dust/upgrade some hardware, and another ~8hr scheduled downtime a year later so I could take the system to my work and use the shop's air compressor to clean out all the dust buildup and replace one noisy fan. Would have only been a 2 minute downtime if I would have had an air compressor on hand.  Never once had a downtime due to Windows or the various software running under Windows with that server. I used that system for a LOT more than just a webserver too.  That system ran an Athlon 1.2GHz Thunderbird processor on an Asus A7V133 Motherboard with 756MB of SDRAM.  I still have that system, and it's still fully functional.

To each their own. 

M4A78T-E, Phenom II X3 720BE Running 4-Cores @ 3.4GHz, Scythe Kama Angle, XFX Geforce GTX275, 4GB Kingston HyperX PC3-12800 RAM, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU, SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit: M3N78-Pro, Athlon X2 5400+ @3.0GHz, 4GB Mushkin HP2-6400 RAM, eVGA GeForce 9800GT SC Edition, Antec Plus1080AMG Case, Antec 430W Tru-Power Trio, SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit
E
Level :
Tech Points : 205
Posted:11/30/2009 1:24:00 AM # 4
The "sleep" option on Vista64 does work with 8GB of memory and a video card that has a tiny or no cooling fan.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.