Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M4A785TD-M EVO  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How To Set Up RAID 0 ? New Topic
JamieD
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/20/2009 12:47:00 PM # 1
I am a bit of a newbie at this and need some direction. Can someone give me detailed step by step instructions on how to set up a RAID 0? I have the M4A785TD-M EVO mobo and the AMD Athlon II 620 Processor. I have 3 WD Black Caviar 1TB drives. I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS. I would like to use the first drive as my boot drive and the other 2 drives in a RAID 0.(mostly for rendering HD video). I have tried changing the SATA configuration for the drives to RAID in BIOS. Then when I reboot I entered CTRL + F to get into an AMD RAID Utility. I tried to configure the RAID, but then when I was done, I could not boot into Windows. From reading other posts I am confused about the need to install RAID drivers. Some folks say to do this, other say with Windows 7 you don't need to. If I look in Device Manager, I do not see any RAID drivers. I don't have a floppy drive and don't know how to install these drivers. I tried the "Make Disk" function in the ASUS CD, but it could not find a drive to install the drivers on. Do I have to boot to the Windows 7 disc in the optical drive? Will I have to reinstall Windows 7? If so, will I loose the Data and programs that I have already installed? Do I have to change the BIOS to RAID 0 first then reinstall Windows 7? As you can see I am thoroughly confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 457
Posted:11/20/2009 8:32:00 PM # 2
I would like to use the first drive as my boot drive and the other 2 drives in a RAID 0.(mostly for rendering HD video).

The RAID will be lost entirely  if when one of the disks breaks. RAID 0 makes sense only if your measurements indicate that disk throughput is the bottleneck.

I have tried changing the SATA configuration for the drives to RAID in BIOS. Then when I reboot I entered CTRL + F to get into an AMD RAID Utility. I tried to configure the RAID, but then when I was done, I could not boot into Windows.

You've RAIDed your boot disk, too?

From reading other posts I am confused about the need to install RAID drivers. Some folks say to do this, other say with Windows 7 you don't need to.

You need the BIOS RAID only if you want to boot from the RAID. Otherwise, you should use the RAID functions of the operaing system, which have the same performance but are more flexible and easier to use.

If I look in Device Manager, I do not see any RAID drivers.

You said you are not able to boot Windows?

Will I have to reinstall Windows 7? If so, will I loose the Data and programs that I have already installed?

Creating a RAID 0 changes the organization of the affected disks, so all data on them is lost.

JamieD
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/20/2009 11:45:00 PM # 3
Thanks for your reply. I haven't measured disk performance, but I have been told by other video editing experts, that RAID 0 significantly improves the speed of rendering HD video. I understand that RAID 0 can be ruined if one of the drives goes down, that is why I want a boot drive that is not part of the RAID so I can back up the RAID data. I did not try to RAID my boot disk, but in the BIOS when you select RAID, it changes SATA ports 1-4 all at the same time, SATA ports 5 and 6 can be formatted either IDE, RAID or ACHI separately from ports 1-4. Currently, I have my 3 HDD's on ports 1,2,3 and my Blu Ray burner on port 6. From other reading, I am under the impression that hardware configured RAID outperforms software configured RAID? If I return the BIOS settings to IDE, then I am able to boot back into windows. Am trying to keep my boot drive as is, and get a RAID set up on the other 2 drives. Thanks again for your valuable input.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.