Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M4A78 Pro  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]Disable onboard video New Topic
Eldridge
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/12/2009 11:32:00 PM # 1
Hi everyone. I have ordered the M4A78 Pro motherboard and an AMD Phenom II 940 processor. I see that the spec shows the motherboard is compatible with Hybrid Crossfire. However, the video card I will be installing on the motherboard (ATI Radeon 3870x2) does not support this. I am unsure how to configure the BIOS so that the onboard video is disabled and the PCI Express card is the boot device. I am hoping someone with experience can give me some guidance.

It looks like I would need to set the Internal Graphics Mode to [Disable], and I am guessing I need to set the Primary Video Controller to [PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX]. Is this correct? Are there additional settings changes I need to make?

Also, is there a good reference for the various PCI Express options such as the port options?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
rice
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/13/2009 7:39:00 AM # 2
When I set up this new M/B I just installed my old 8800 GTS pluged the Monitor to my 8800 the old O/S hard drive just 1 drive to get the rig up and running 2 sticks of old 800MHZ Ram 1 gig each all from my old rig it fired right up with out doing any thing In the BIOS.

If you have more than 1 drive plug 1 in at a time and just restart the system each time as in first install you O/S (C) turn off the new rig then install lets say you(H) drive 2nd H/D then restart do this with each H/D so you will have them in the same order as you'r old system maked it a lot easyer to find what you'r looking for rather than relearning where stuff at.

I just install the very minmum just to get ther new system up and running then download all you'r drivers and up dates a  needed.

After all this is done install the rest of you'r add on cards or what ever download all there drives and up dates then if you want up date the BIOS or start you'r O/Cing.

My last M/B had a lot more On board stuff built into it I had to use more add On PCI cards to get this new board to do the same function as my last board did, but my last M/B was not built for 140 watt CPU + it died on me anyways.

M4A78 Pro, AMD 9950 140 watt Q-Core, Ausu Silent Knight 2 CPU Cooler, Artic Silver Thermopaste, Enerngy Max 600, XFX 8800 GTS 640MB, Hauppauge 1600 TV tunner, 1 extra lan Pci Card, WFI Pci card, 2X Samsung DVD Bunner SATA, Nec Floppy, Multi Function Card reader 3.5, 2X WD 400 HD SATA Enterprise 7200 RPM, WD 250 HD Enterprise 7200 RPM, Seagate HD 400 GB SATA 7200 RPM, CRUCAL Tracker 800 4 Gig's, Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case Wish it was deeper, Samsung 32 Inch Wide Screen, Logitech Key board Mouse, Logitech game pad, Creative Speakers, Vista 64 Ultimate, MS Office 07 Enterprise, AVG Anti-Virus.
Vertex
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/15/2009 4:57:00 AM # 3
I did exactly what you are saying, I disabled the Internal Graphics Mode and set the Primary video controller to PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX and the result I got was no video at all! I had to clear the cmos to get back into the bios. I haven't been able to figure out how to disable the on-board video and enable the pci-e slot. It should be simple straightforward process to achieve this.

Good luck

elliott
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/15/2009 7:10:00 PM # 4
I built my rig using the onboard and once os and drivers were updated dropped in my gtx285 and everything auto set,never had to mess with any bios settings. It is supposed to auto disable onboard once you install in the pcie slot and should turn back on when it is removed. you might want clear cmos and try booting with onboard then shut down,install card and dont touch the bios and see if that works

Vertex
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/15/2009 10:23:00 PM # 5
I'll give that a try and see if it works. Hopefully that will do the trick, as I don't really want to have to rma the mb and swap it out.

SloppyGoat
Level :
Tech Points : 24
Posted:3/17/2009 2:47:00 PM # 6
You have to set GFX0 to be first for some reason, or it doesn't seem to see the PCIE card at all. They say it's supposed to be automatic, but I found the same thing as you. If it's not set with IGFX first, and you don't have a card in it, you will be stuck with no video until you can see the BIOS again and change it. It's really weird, because the way it looks, it should look for any devices in that order, right? Well, it doesn't.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4GHz ZALMAN CNPS9500A 92mm CPU Cooler ASUS M4A78 PRO (1607 BIOS) OCZ Reaper PC2 9200 4G (2x2G) XFX 9800GTX+ 512MB Sigma Monster 850W Modular PSU Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (x2) Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM SATA SABRENT TV Tuner/Video Capture PCI Card with Remote SAMSUNG 206BW Black 20" 2ms Widescreen LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner DH-20A4P-04 Antec Nine Hundred Case WD Elements 1TB external drive
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.