ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M3A78-T  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Need help Unlocking AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE Cores New Topic
William_Shreffler
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:3/17/2010 2:51:00 AM # 1
I just got an AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE yesterday, and I would like to know if anyone has manages to unlock all the cores using the M3A78-T board.
What setting were used, what bios, anything that you can tell me would be great.

Thanks

William

Edit: This chip overclocks like a dream. Running at 3.82 Gigs, stable. It rocks. :)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
daytripper67mi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/21/2010 8:00:00 AM # 2
bios 1403 or later,set acc to auto or per core,bump voltage (my 550be is @1.35v)reboot

Look here  http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1499697

M3A78-T bios 1403 PHII 550be(unlocked to X4) @3.2 2x2 1066 hyperx HD3850 512 pcp&c 610 silencer water cooled
William_Shreffler
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/21/2010 9:22:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: daytripper67mi Posted: 3/21/2010 8:00:00 AM

bios 1403 or later,set acc to auto or per core,bump voltage (my 550be is @1.35v)reboot

Look here  http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1499697

Thanks for the reply,but I'm worried about using the 1403 bios as the 555be wasn't added until 1504. If you can confirm that the 555be will work under the 1403, then I'll be happy to give it a shot, and let you know the results. Thanks William

daytripper67mi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/22/2010 6:50:00 AM # 4
bios 1403 or later

any bios after 1403 should work fine!1504,1601 or 1701

Good luck and let us know if it unlocks

Here is a guide from Hard forum AMD section

1. Turn off Cool N Quiet
Re-enable later if you want

2. Boost your vcore by .05V.
You should have at least 1.35V going to the CPU initially. I personally prefer 1.4V with a good cooler. Most boards have an "add voltage option" e.g. +0.05V, +0.075V, and an "adjust voltage" option, e.g. set voltage to 1.35V, 1.375V, 1.40V, etc. Use the "add voltage option"! Doing so will allow you to more easily enable CnQ later, since this option often adds the "plus volts" to every clocked-down mode in CnQ.

3. Do not touch your CPU's multiplier or try to OC your system!
Make sure you set up your system stable and 100% functional before attempting to unlock! Eliminate all other variables! Are your RAM timings right? Is the system Prime/OCCT/any other stress test stable in the first place?

4. Your CPU temperature reporting will become screwy after the unlock (-256C). This is normal.
Most BIOS HWMonitor functions still work - use those.

5. Do not use the stock heatsink. Do not use the stock heatsink. Do not use the stock heatsink. Do not use the stock heatsink.
Yes, we know there are exceptions, but a good cooler is a sound investment. The stock HSF that comes with the lower-end Phenoms/Semprons is NOT a good cooler and can make an otherwise 100% successful unlock unstable or even fail under load. Furthermore, the inability to monitor temps while at load in Windows means you have no idea what your load temps are when unlocked. You want a large "safety net" in this regard. A list of quality heatsinks can be found below. Head on over to the "Hot Deals" and "For Sale/Trade" forums for help getting a deal. Trust us, it's worth it.

6. Most boards have multiple ACC settings.
If "auto" doesn't work, try others.

7. Make sure your motherboard has adequate voltage regulation.
Test this with OCCT. When it completes its run, look at the graphs for the variation in the voltage of the processor at full load. If it doesn't vary much, then you're good. But if it does, that's a sign of poor voltage regulation. Another sign is having a lot of vdroop. The higher the power phase on your mobo, the better. If in doubt, stick to name brand motherboards like Asus and Gigabyte. Look for 8-phase power designs, or higher. Also look for cooling on the mosfets. A lot of cheaper boards do not come with heatsinks on the mosfets. When mosfets overheat, they still "work" but provide unstable voltage to the CPU, causing instability (and even death). With a little 80W dual core, it's not an issue, but for your shiny new unlocked and overclocked quad-core monster, it will make a difference! Several options are available out there, but we recommend cheap, simple BGA heatsinks.

8. Make sure you have a quality power supply.
This may seem like a no-brainer, but bad power is bad power.

9. If all else fails...
These desperate measures might help:
Underclock the CPU
Disconnect all case fans from the motherboard
Disable hibernation in Windows
Raise/lower the Northbridge clock and/or HT clock
Bump your north bridge voltage slightly
Re-seat your HSF
Re-seat the motherboard power connectors

10. Be prepared for the reality that you are not guaranteed an unlockable CPU no matter what motherboard, bios or CPU stepping you have.
But we like those odds, don't we

M3A78-T bios 1403 PHII 550be(unlocked to X4) @3.2 2x2 1066 hyperx HD3850 512 pcp&c 610 silencer water cooled
William_Shreffler
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/24/2010 10:53:00 PM # 5
Well I gave it a shot, with no luck on unlocking. No worries thou, I'm very happy with this CPU as is. Running at 3.82, and stable. My games have never ran so well, and my system runs nice and cool. I question any bios for this board after 1304 as when the 1403 came out, I lost being able to oc my 7750be. I may try again to unluck my 555be, but after I change to a different motherboard. Any advise as to which brand and model I should go with? Thanks William

daytripper67mi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/25/2010 5:10:00 AM # 6
I am going to get the ASUS M4A89gtd  pro(this board has hardware unlocking)

and some ddr3,with a  5770 with my tax refund.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.