SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M2N-SLI Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Bootmgr Missing, no Operating system or hard drive found New Topic
sgtgregg
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/20/2009 10:48:00 PM # 1
Hi folks,

Ok... crazy problem just happened yesterday... First let me start by system specs

Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit
8GB RAM
M2N-SLI Deluxe MB
WD Caviar 750GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
XFX GeForce 8500GT 512MB X2 (SLI)
AMD Athlon X2 6400 CPU

Hopefully I didn't miss anything important... now to the problem.

Yesterday I was installing a game (CIVCITY ROME) during the install my system looked up and would not respond to anything, not even CTRL/ATL/DEL, so I did the unthinkable and shut off my system manually. Normally I leave me system run all the time, rebooting maybe once or twice a week (not sure if that is necessary or not. Upon rebooting this time, I got a message that said:

"BOOTMGR Missing, press ctrl, alt, del to reboot"... so I did that, several times because I kept getting the message. Finally I gave up and started doing research on it. Most forums I came across said to insert my windows vista disk in the drive and restart my system. So I did, but prior to I went into the bios to tweak my boot order to have my DVD drive run first... upon doing so I noticed right away that SATA 1 did not list any drive there... it was missing... not thinking nothing of it, I changed my boot order and rebooted... Upon rebooting with the Vista disk in the drive, I followed the directions from other forums, I selected the language, time, currency and clicked next... then at this point it came up to where I was suppose to select the operating system... nothing was there, no hard drive was listed or anything, the block was empty. When I click to load the drivers... this is where I'm stuck. Where do I get the drivers for my drive, do I make an adjustment in the bios somewhere now? Have I lost my drive all together? Any suggestions?

Things I've did...

1. I've unplugged all my other drives (all SATA), I've unplugged all USB devices, all card readers, etc... only thing raw in my system is my 750HD, and two optic drives (DVD burners).
2. I've cleared out the CMOS
3. I've moved the drive to other side slots, from SATA 1 to SATA 2 etc...
4. I've exchanged cables for both power and SATA
5. I've tested other drive that don't have any operating system on them and those show up...

The only last thing I can think of is to kiss the hard drive good bye and lose everything, or go by an External SATA encloser, pull the HD and hook it up to my laptop and see if I get anything (my  local Circuit City might be a good place to buy one of those now, lol).

Folks, any help on this matter would be great... This drive had a lot of important files on it, pictures from my deployment to Iraq, emails, etc... oh... and I forgot this, drive is not even a year old. I first installed it in late June 2008.

Thanks,

sgtgregg

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Wheelz
Level :
Tech Points : 394
Posted:1/21/2009 2:43:00 AM # 2

Hi and welcome to the forum

You need to go into the BIOS and make sure that the Serial controller is enabled.
In the BIOS go to Advanced, then Onboard Device Configuration Then Serial -ATA Configuration
Make sure that the Serial ATA controller is set to enabled.
Then Save and exit the BIOS and see if it will boot from the hard drive.

If it does not then the external hard drive case is the best idea.
Save what you can off of it

Good luck

Asus M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU, Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink, 4gb (2x2gb) Kingston Hyper X 1066mhz, 3 - 320gb drives in Raid 0, (all 3 drives are single platter with 16mb of cache on each drive), 2 - LG 22x DVD/RW (1-SATA & 1-IDE, LightScribe), 2 - 500gb Seagate hard drives, 320gb Hitachi USB, Hauppauge HVR-1250 TV Tuner, 2 - Sapphire HD 4830 512mb video cards in CrossFireX mode, PC P&C Silencer 750 Watt PSU (Blue), All wrapped up in a ThermalTake V9 case, AWESOME case for the $!, Logitech X540 5.1 speakers, Logitech MX 620 cordless Laser mouse, ViewSonic 22" LCD, ViewSonic 17" LCD, & a 42" Panasonic Plasma, 3d06 Score - 20770, Messenger - gibblathotmaildotcom
sgtgregg
Level :
Posted:1/21/2009 11:41:00 AM # 3
thanks for helping. Actually I tried that as well, sorry I didn't mention it earlier. I, even after reading your post did go back though and tried it again, but it did not work either...

Since, then and now, I have Reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate on a new hdd all together... earlier another user replied as well, but for some reason his post has been deleted... he had asked if my hdd was spinning and had life to it... the answer is yes, it is spinning and everything there is life, but it's like the drive is invisible or locked out completly...

After I installed vista again, I went into Computer Management and disk management.... (after I hooked up the old drive)... and it is not listed in there either...

any suggestions? I have yet to try going external...

Thanks,

sgtgregg

Wheelz
Level :
Tech Points : 394
Posted:1/21/2009 3:35:00 PM # 4

Hi
In your first post you said you changed the boot order.
Could you please verify for me if you can actually see the harddrive in the POST window or if you can see it anywhere in the BIOS?

Check and see if Raid has been enabled in the BIOS, that will make it not be seen in the POST section if an array has not been built.
If it is being seen in the BIOS then use FDISK and see if your partition has been trashed. That would cause it to not boot and for the utilities mentioned to not see the drive in some cases.
If you do not have a boot disk with FDISK on it then you can get FDISK from www.bootdisk.com

Even if you cannot see the drive in the BIOS or the POST process then try this
Download Western Digital's Data Lifeguard diagnostic utility for DOS, once downloaded make either the floppy or CD disk
Unhook all drives from your system except for one optical drive (if you downloaded the ISO that is) and the bad hard drive.
With the downloaded disk in the computer and the boot order set for your new utility disk start the system up and let the utility run and see if it spots the drive, if it does then run all tests and see what it says.

If the drive is trashed then this utility disk has an RMA form that you can print on it which will be needed if you have to send it back
Let us know how you make out

Asus M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU, Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink, 4gb (2x2gb) Kingston Hyper X 1066mhz, 3 - 320gb drives in Raid 0, (all 3 drives are single platter with 16mb of cache on each drive), 2 - LG 22x DVD/RW (1-SATA & 1-IDE, LightScribe), 2 - 500gb Seagate hard drives, 320gb Hitachi USB, Hauppauge HVR-1250 TV Tuner, 2 - Sapphire HD 4830 512mb video cards in CrossFireX mode, PC P&C Silencer 750 Watt PSU (Blue), All wrapped up in a ThermalTake V9 case, AWESOME case for the $!, Logitech X540 5.1 speakers, Logitech MX 620 cordless Laser mouse, ViewSonic 22" LCD, ViewSonic 17" LCD, & a 42" Panasonic Plasma, 3d06 Score - 20770, Messenger - gibblathotmaildotcom
sgtgregg
Level :
Posted:1/23/2009 6:41:00 AM # 5
Wheelz,

Hey, thanks! To start, no the HDD is no where... but, if I plug the drive into any SATA slot, in the BIOS itself, on the first page of the BIOS where it lists everything plugged in...etc... it says nothing next to whatever slot I plug the drive into... I mean, it don't even say the word "none"... the line is completely blank!

I will get FDISK from www.bootdisk.com, also I wil download the app from WD and see if that can help...

I'll keep you posted; but it might be a few days or weeks.

Thanks again,

sgtgregg

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.