Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M2A-VM HDMI  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]I need help adding DDR2 memory stick New Topic
N
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/10/2013 9:37:00 AM # 1
I had only 1GB of memory in my M2A-VM motherboard.  It is a Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G.>Today I bought a Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G.  My PC is working much better now with 2GB of memory.>
>I would like to install BOTH of the memory sticks.  But when I tried to add the Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G , I could not get the PC to run.>
>Is there anything I can do?  Or is this impossible?>
>I suppose you know that this motherboard has 4 sockets:>DIMM_A1>DIMM_B1>DIMM_A2>DIMM_B2>
>Thank you!>

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18258
Posted:4/10/2013 10:09:00 AM # 2
Hi N..

Apparently the 667mhz module can't run at 800Mhz.. so you might try manually setting the DRAM frequency to 667Mhz .. save and exit the BIOS.. and then shutdown, unplug and install the old module...  Then see if it will boot.. 

DRAM Timing Mode to Manual... Memory Clock Frequency to DDR2 667... 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
N
Level :
Posted:4/10/2013 9:14:00 PM # 3
Apparently the 667mhz module can't run at 800Mhz.. so you might try manually setting the DRAM frequency to 667Mhz .. save and exit the BIOS.. and then shutdown, unplug and install the old module...  Then see if it will boot..  

DRAM Timing Mode to Manual... Memory Clock Frequency to DDR2 667...  
>
>Ulrich,>
>Thank you very much for such a prompt reply.  As you can probably tell I am a novice at all of this.>
>Your detailed instructions were easy to follow.  I switched the Memory Clock Frequency off of AUTO and on to 667.>
>I had the 2GB module in the A2 slot.  I added the 1GB to the B2 slot.  (My A1 slot seems to be broken as when I put a module in it my PC will not boot.)  The ASUS screen came up all blurred, kind of white.>I then tried putting the 2GB module in the B1 slot with the 1GB in the B2 slot but then my PC would not even boot.>
>So right now I am back to only running with the Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G.>
>Do you have any other ideas as to how I can use both the 2GB module and the 1GB module?>
>Many thanks!

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/10/2013 9:30:00 PM # 4
Hi N..

I guess you could play around with the memory timings and voltage.. but I'm not sure that would be of any benefit..   The old and the new module are programmed differently.. use different memory chip revisions..  are not a matched set..  and so getting them to work together may not be possible..

Now, one option would be to get a compatible 4GB kit...  about $100 directly from Kingston... a bit less from Tiger Direct...  However, even that is a lot to invest in a system as old as yours.. so you may be best off with just the single 2GB module... 

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=7&Mfr=ASU&Line=M2%20Motherboard&Model=35928

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
N
Level :
Posted:4/10/2013 10:34:00 PM # 5
Ulrich,>
>Thank you again for taking the time to help me.  I don't really want to invest the $100.  

N
Level :
Posted:4/11/2013 6:58:00 PM # 6
Ulrich,>
>Perhaps you could help me with one more thing.  I want to start over with a new mobo.>I do not do gaming.  I just do word processing, watch videos, normal stuff.>
>I saw these mobos at Tiger Direct:>

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AMD 760G AM3+ Motherboard

>

Asus F2A55-M/CSM MoBo

>

Asus 760G motherboard

>
>Do you have any suggestions?  What should I look for?>
>Thank you!>N

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/11/2013 9:38:00 PM # 7

Hi N..

TigerDirest has a number of low cost boards that would do the trick for a low demand  system ..  You probably want an AM3+ board and processor.. 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz memory and a video card.. 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1963429&Sku=G452-2609

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1418809&Sku=A455-3146

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.