Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Intel  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]XP Drivers for ASUS / HP Model IPIBL-la New Topic
tomtorre
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/4/2007 3:14:00 AM # 1
Forum Members:  I have no where else to turn but here.  I purchased a HP Pavilion a6152n that, according to HP's specs, has a Asus IPIBL-LA Motherboard.  The System came with Vista Home Edition but my software only works with XP.  So I removed the HP Drive, installed a new drive and then installed a fresh copy of XP Pro.  Got all of the Microsoft Updates but I have at least 6 Question Marks in my Device Manager for the Onboard Ethernet, Onboard VGA, PCI, and a couple of other's I can't remember now.  HP ONLY offers Vista Drivers and Microsoft was of no help whatsoever.  Can anyone on this forum point me in the right direction as to how I can get these drivers for the Onboard Peripherals.  The motherboard is a Socket 775 (Quad Core Q6600) - maybe you can tell me a ASUS Model that would be close to the features of this MADE for HP Motherboard.
Thanks in Advance,
Tom

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18419
Posted:8/4/2007 3:40:00 AM # 2
You might find some drivers that will work but some of the PCI bridge driver stuff may be difficult ...what drivers do you need?  I see that the board has a Realtek audi codec and an Intel LAN implementation.

Maybe a better solution for you would be to reinstall that Vista drive and then try running your stuff in compatibility mode .. Vista should ask about this when you try to run an incompatible program. 

Another thing you might consider is to replace the Vista drive and then talk to Hp about dual booting....running Xp and Vista although you may still run into the same issues doing that. 

You might go to Intel and get the G33 Chipset drivers ...

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/G33/index.htm

which might help.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
tomtorre
Level :
Posted:8/4/2007 4:38:00 AM # 3
Ulrich:
    Where did you find the info for the Realtek audio codec and Intel LAN - can you send me the link.  My Device Manager has Question Marks ( ? ) next to the following devices:
Ethernet Controller (It has to be the onboard one, I put a Dlink in and had the drivers, PCI Device (I don't know what that one is referring to, I only have the DLink Card in), SM BUS Controller (again, don't know what that is) and the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - that has to be the onboard VGA Chipset, I don't have a Video Card installed.  That's all I need.  As far as Dual Booting, HP will not support it, they told me so already.  Anymore help that you can offer would be appreciate.  BTW, this has American Megatrends BIOS Installed - if that help,
Thanks Again,
Tom

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/4/2007 7:51:00 AM # 4
The product information is here...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3445434&lang=en

Keep in mind that the only BIOS revisions that will work on this board are those that Hp provides.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Franco
Level :
Posted:10/3/2007 3:42:00 AM # 5
Ulrich, I am new here and I do not understand well whether you are speaking on behalf of ASUS or just expressing your own personal opinion, but I find a little odd that a customer of a Asus motherboard looking for help on Asus site, is redirected on HP site (where, BTW, there is no help for it).

I am owner of a IPIBL-LA too (bundled in a HP 8160 PC), and like thousands of other unfortunate customers (just google a little bit) I am having terrible time with it.

To install Windows XP on it was a nightmare which consumed me two whole weeks, day AND night.  Two whole weeks I couldn't do my job - a money loss that is well over the worth of the PC itself.

There is no specific support - I mean, windows XP drivers - for this motherboard on either HP, ASUS, INTEL and M$ sites. 
The AMI BIOS don't even report model number.
ASUS site doesn't list the item.
INTEL site has something but not specific.
The audio requires M$ UAA which is not available on M$ site
HP only supplies Vista support.

Is there an agreement between HP/ASUS/INTEL/M$ to obscure the information on this product and force customers to use Vista?

The SATA HD is not natively supported by XP and there is no floppy drive to load hard disk drivers (can't use F6).
I spent two whole weeks visiting dozens of hacker's sites to find the "secret" information, retrieve the hidden drivers and stuff, and to learn how to build my own modded XP install CD containing the preinstalled drivers.
Luckily I could access another PC connected to the internet.

Nightmare ended past night - now everything works, except wi-fi which I don't use, and the fact the machine freezes or hangs too frequently (not a hardware problem - it runs perfectly when I boot it under the Linux partition like now).

During this via crucis, I have met _LOT_ of people having the same trouble.  Basically most of the buyers of a IPIBL-LA based PC have the same problem.

I don't think that creating so many unhappy customers around the world is a good advertising for either HP or ASUS and I hope they'll change their mind and will disclose the informations and the drivers we need, like it is done with every other motherboard you have in production.  Or at least point out which is a compatible motherboard which uses same (XP) drivers.

Please report my comment to ASUS.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:10/3/2007 6:58:00 AM # 6
Hi Franco

This Forum is intended to help...  Hopefully it does that.  Although I do sometimes express personal opinions, that is rare.   My personal opinion means very little as my experiences with computer gear are my own and will not necessarily translate to any other situation...there are far too many variables.

The mainboard you have, although manufactured by Asus, is a Hewlett-Packard mainboard...not an Asus mainboard, in a Hewlett-Packard system.  Hp is where any help will exist apart from anecdotal experiences posted by other users of the -LA.   If you bought this mainboard as part of an Hp system, then Hp is the place to look for help.  If you bought this mainboard as a 'White Box' part, an item that is part of Hp's overstock and that they wish to dispose of, then 'Caveat Emptor'..

Maybe what we need is a 'Truth in Computing' law, similar to 'Truth in Lending' that, for 'White Box' mainboard buyers, requires vendors to tell the prospective consumer exactly what he or she can expect from the mainboard....  specifically, no drivers, firmware, or other support.  All of us who assemble our own systems know that there will be very little support available, apart from a limited warrantee on the part we buy, and if it doesn't work right,  that's our problem.  If I didn't want any such problems, then I'd buy an assembled system from Dell, Alienware, Cyberpower or some such other bunch... 

Asus is aware of the sorts of problems you write about but, again, once they deliver the part to Hp, end of story. 

Nathan
Level :
Posted:12/28/2007 3:07:00 PM # 7

Wow... Franco, just because of your post i felt compelled to register and respond...

I am also suprised that ASUS would wash its hands of the product after selling it to HP. I would at least expect them to list it as a aproduct and mirror the drivers provided by HP.

However, I am not suprised that XP drivers aren't available. One of my first questions was "what if i don't like Vista? Can I go back to XP?"  It would be nice if there were drivers available and that was a simple option but the product was made for HP with Vista as the target OS. In my opinion Vista runs just fine on this quad core machine with 3GB of RAM (my model). Other than a few pices of software that aren't compatable and the annoying security why would you want to go back to XP?

You bought the machine built and designed with Vista in mind... I think that qualifies you for no sympathy... You got exacty what you paid for...

I suggest that if you have software that won't run on Vista listen to Ulrich and try to run it in compatability mode.

You could also run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx). At least the driver headaches will be virtual and won't detract from what i would consider the normal usage of the computer. I have found it to be significantly less stressful when a virtual machine crashes; i'm not sure why...

Don
Level :
Posted:9/21/2008 7:33:00 AM # 8

I too have a IPIBL-LA (bought in an m9000t).   I too prefer XP, but HP decided to put this box together with Vista, and only support it under Vista.  ASUS has nothing to do with it.  I have owned a number of other HP products with ASUS manufactured (and marked) motherboards, which are only supported by HP.  This is what the industry refers to as an OEM deal:  ASUS manufactures the motherboards to HP specs, then HP decides what BIOS and drivers to provide.
   After running Vista for a few weeks, I'm sure you 'll find what you are looking for.  It is like XP, except some things are renamed and relocated.  You can still run the 'low-level' stuff such as 'diskmgmt.msc' from the little box in the lower left corner.  Actually, the little text box saves a step:  In XP, you have to choose Run, Cmd and then type in the box.
   If you want a mobo you can overclock and do 'dangerous' things in the BIOS, buy an ASUS boxed board (I've had quite a few).   If you want an 'appliance' you can use that works right out of the box, buy an HP machine (Iwhich may happen to have an ASUS manufactured board).
   Good Luck,  and don't forget to have fun!

gary
Level :
Posted:1/25/2011 12:28:00 PM # 9
you need to find out what chipsets and onboard video or Lan card you have and go to the manufacturer that makes that for that board. For example I have a IPIBL-LB motherboard that is running Vista and XP on the same PC. If your board has a Realtek 8139 network card onboard then go to their sight and look for drivers for that model number too. It takes a little time but its worth it once it is running XP again. Gary Gary

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.