Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Asus Suite - USB Boost/U3BoostSvr and UAC New Topic
Ben
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:12/8/2011 7:46:00 AM # 1
This issue is on Windows 7 x64:

The Asus software installations include the Asus Suite II software and the USB 3.0 Boost software.

When installing these, a new group called ASUS is created in the Windows task scheduler set to run the following two applications at every user logon:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\USB 3.0 Boost\U3BoostSvr.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\AsRoutineController.exe

The problem is that non-administrative users are prompted at each login to run this software.

As one solution, I can disable these tasks or set them to run for only certain users, however I am concerned specifically about the U3BoostSvr software.

I have attempted to run the USB Boost tool with the U3BoostSvr task disabled and it *appears* to function (at least it switches over to Boost/SCSI mode and I see a very moderate performance increase). The behavior appears to be the same with or without the U3BoostSvr running. I need to know specifically what U3BoostSvr is doing and why is it necessary to start up for each user as opposed to a system service.

I also want to know what the AsRoutineController.exe task is doing, and how this task differs from running the Asus Suite II manually.

Thank you.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ben
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/13/2011 11:39:00 AM # 2
I posted this on the forum about 4 days ago. I had also published this question to ASUS customer support. This was the response I received below:

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service. My name is Nono and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem. Asus Suite II software include many subprograms, each of them has the function, though I do not know what exactly they are doing, but they work together, they are a whole. And I suggest you would better not to disable any of them, may be some function could also run normally, but it actually will affect other function. Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website: http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. Best Regards, Nono ASUS Customer Service

This is clearly not a respectable response. It would appear as if "Nono" can barely understand the question put to them, and answers by basically saying "Well I don't know...", as opposed to actually forwarding this on or tracking down some correct information.

Now I assume that these Forums are moderated and attended to by actual ASUS personnel? Or is this just a place to allow customers to ask questions and have them fall in a black hole as well?

I posted 2 or 3 other questions several days ago in addition to this one - all related to issues with my new Motherboard. With the exception of the quoted lackluster response from Nono, I haven't had any level of communication.

When I call Asus I am generally put in touch with a Level 1 tech who seems to communicate fine (in English, no equipment problems). But, soon enough it is shown that they can't do anything other then read publicly available documentation. As soon as they forward you to a Level 2 tech, you are put in touch with someone who not only has problems communicating in English, but also seems to be talking through tin cans.

I do not mean to sound ethnocentric here. But, ASUS sells their products in American stores to the American public and as such should be able to communicate properly with this side of their client base. Responses like the one above are simply unacceptable

I might also expect that some of the forum moderators here may be volunteers - and if so - I thank you for your effort and hope that maybe you can escalate these issues. However, I should also expect that ASUS employees also patrol these forums and should be doing it on a more regular basis to actually help resolve some issues.

There aren't many reviews out for this Motherboard on English speaking sites, so little in fact that I can guarantee that my negative reviews, which I am very close to posting will severely hamper the ability to move these Motherboards to anyone in the American markets who chooses to do any research at all.

Step up ASUS and start communicating properly with your American customers. I don't know if you treat the rest of your customer base with such disdain.

Stevens
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:3/2/2012 7:52:00 AM # 3
Hey Ben, did you ever get answers concerning the U3BoostSvr.exe app? I also want to know what it, and ALL of the other apps installed with AI Suite II, are SPECIFICALLY doing. With all of the driver issues that abound, we don't want ANY apps loading that DON'T have a purpose on OUR specific rigs.

Ben
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/20/2012 5:37:00 AM # 4
After a painstaking dialogue I was able to coax only the following:

"Dear Ben, Sorry for the delay… I have asked our software RD about your questions, they told me that the AsRoutineController.exe is used for open start-up process of AI Suite II after starting the AI Suite II, and the U3BoostSvr.exe is the service of U3Boost, it is used for achieve the function of U3 Boost. The software RD also told me that they could not be disable in non-admin users, that will affect some function of the AI Suite II, if you do that, you could not use some service process and the U3Boost any more."

I don't believe what they state about the U3BoostSvr since some of my tests indicate higher speeds even without it running, but ASUS provides so little documentation or support it's ludicrous.

joe002
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/5/2013 4:03:00 AM # 5

I had the same problem. I also contacted Tech Support, but they don't even know what U3BoostSrv.exe is.

I did some experiments and found that on my machine running under Windows 7 64-bit, that U3BoostSrv.exe seems to just start U3BoostSrv64.exe, so I modified the line in Task Scheduler to just start U3BoostSrv64.exe instead of U3BoostSrv.exe. It works fine (no dialog box, no errors) and U3BoostSrv64.exe is running after I log in.

Like Ben said, I'm not sure it really does anything, but it is now running. It really would be nice to know what it's supposed to do.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.