Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Computer turns itself off after a few minutes New Topic
saud
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/10/2010 8:51:00 AM # 1
Hi everyone,

i assembled my computer myself a couple of years ago. it was running great until today. today when i tried to switch on my computer, it first did turn on but after a few minutes/seconds it switched itself off. and while it was off all the leds on the motherboard went off too. i pressed the power button again n again but then it didnt turn on. after a minute of staying off, the leds on my motherboard came back on and then i was able to turn on the computer again. but then again after a few minutes/seconds, it switched itself off. it keeps on going through this cycle. first i thought this might be something to do with the HDD but then i pluged in a brand new HHD and i still got that problem. my second thought was that it might be the bios which might have got messed up somehow magically, therefore, i reset the bios. i still got the same problem. then i thought there might be a problem with heating, so i took off everything from the motherboard and cleaned it but after plugging everything back on, i got the same problem :( can someone please help me out on this! please! i need urgent help!

my computer specs are as following:
processor: AMD athlon 6400+
mobo: ASUS Crossshair
RAM: 8GB DDR2 (4 X 2)
graphic card: nvidia 8800gs
PSU: cooler master 700W
HHD: samsumg 500 GB SATA2 + hitachi 350 GB SATA2
sound card: creative audigy 2 zs platinum pro
DVD rom: pioneer DVD-RW

kind regards,

Saud Khan

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3684
Posted:10/10/2010 9:19:00 AM # 2
Hi, do you have another power supply you can test with.  Sound like something is over heating but you said you covered those bases, is the CPU fan turning at full speed?  Check the PSU fan as well.

saud
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/10/2010 6:10:00 PM # 3
hi, thanks for the reply. no i dont have an extra PSU. its a really expensive PSU so i just assumed that it would be working fine. yes i thought heating might be the problem but seriously even if i turn on my computer after a long time (when pc is really cool), it will still switch off after a few seconds. i also tried touching the base of the CPU fan to check if its over heating,  but its always cool. all the fans are working properly too.
any other guess?

VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/10/2010 11:20:00 PM # 4
Hi, boot into the bios and monitor the temps there.  Go to the Power tab, then Hardware monitor, see what the temps are when the computer shuts down.  A video card that's overheating can shut the system down as well.

As for the PSU, might want to take the computer to a local repair shop and let them test with one of there power supplies.  At least you'll be able to rule it out as being the source of the problem, without having to buy another one.

saud
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/12/2010 3:10:00 AM # 5
Hi, i tested it again and did what you told me. the CPU temp goes up to 39C - 41C when it shutsdown and the mobo temp is even lower than that (29C - 32C). i have tried touching the graphic card and its just mildly warm but not hot. do you recon this is a high enough temp for the computer to shut down automatically?I will try to test it with my friend's power supply asap. can you think of anything else?

VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/12/2010 12:39:00 PM # 6
Hi, your temps look okay.  I honestly can't say if its the board or power supply, either could be at fault.  Keep us posted, let us know how it goes with your friends PSU.

kReZi
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:10/13/2010 1:53:00 AM # 7
You can also try using different slot for the RAM connection. And various combination-permutation of the RAM stick(s) and slot(s).
My machine also does not boot if RAMs are one particular pair of slots(don't remember which one). I had also found this out after a cleanup which involved removing all components and putting it back again. This problem seems to develop few years into the build as I must've played with all the slots when I built it.

ASUS Crosshair (1304 *GinieMod_V2*) Athlon64 X2 6000+ @ 3.3GHz: ThermalRight 120 Ultra .:. 8800GTS 320MB .:. 2x 1Gb corsair CM2X1024-6400 .:. 1x 250GB Western Digital & 1x 500GB Seagate ST350032 .:. LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S .:. 620W Corsair .:. Viewsonic 19"TFT .:. Win7x64
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.