ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > A8N-VM  
  Forum  
  Topic : Northbridge Overheating (I Think) New Topic
Lapointe
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:7/16/2006 11:53:00 PM # 1
When I play Games (any 3D graphical game), after about 10 min my computer will shut down. It
started when I purchased a video card to replace the onboard video.I did infact turn off the onboard
video in the bios. At first I thought it was my video card as the heat sinc was extrememly hot. So after
examing my whole MOBO I took my video card back thinking it was it. (It was the ATI X1600 Pro). So
back to no problems after that, but I got new video card after. BFG 7600 GT OC, pluged it in works
great. Then after about 2 hours it started to turn off again. So now I know it is not the video card. I
examined My mobo again to find the middle heat sinc on the Northbridge Chipset (The onboard
Video), Was EXTREMEMLY HOT, even though I turned OFF the Onboard video, it was still heating
up. I used the ASUS PC PROBE and found out all temps were normal on it. BUT middle heatsin on MOBO was really hot. It said the MB temp on the PC PROBE to be 34 deg C, which it is not. So
know I believe it to be the overheating of the northbridge chipset to be the problem, Since my Power
Supply is 450W. All my drivers are up to date, I checked the forums too and found nothing. Could you
please help!! I know it is overheating problem because when I take the comp side panel off it does
not shut down.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
---
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/17/2006 12:10:00 AM # 2
It seems you could use a larger case with a couple of 120 mm case fans, one blowing in and the other blowing out.  As was pointed out in a recent post 'You can't cool with hot air'.

Lapointe
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/17/2006 12:14:00 AM # 3
I do have 2 80mm fans. 1 blowing in, and the other blowing out. Never seemed to be overheating before though. Plus the room temp is pretty cool where it is sitting.

---
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/17/2006 12:18:00 AM # 4
Since removing a side panel reduces your northbridge temp, it seems obvious that it's too hot inside your case.  The cure for that is: 1, larger case and 2, more air flow.

Lapointe
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/17/2006 12:21:00 AM # 5
I do know what you are saying, but why is it overheating in the first place, especially if I turned off the onboard video?

---
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/17/2006 12:38:00 AM # 6
That's hard to say - summertime??.  Our outdoor temp is above 30 deg C right now.  Even with AC running, my mb and cpu idling temps are 4 to 5 deg C above their usual - now up to 36 and 39 deg C. 

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.