ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP  
  Forum  
  Topic : Enabling AHCI Features for SATA Drives New Topic
Cole
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/12/2006 11:22:00 PM # 21
Hi Tim,

Sorry it took so long to get back. I couldn't get on the forum all day yesterday.

Make sure your bios IDE setting is set to ACHI or RAID depending on which you are going to load (see below).

I am using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager v6.2.0.2002 from the Intel site. This is a file named f6flpy32.zip. Under Downloads, search for the 6.2.0.2002 and you will get about 50 files or so. The correct one is currently #17 on the list. I assume you are on XP so make sure you get the 32bit version.

When the screen comes up after the F6 command, you want to load one of the following:

- Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
- Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)

which are the first two on the list. If you are not going to run a Raid array now or in the future, choose the AHCI driver. If Raid is a possibility, choose the RAID driver which allows you to set up raid and non-raid drives. The RAID setting supports the AHCI mode as well.

There are other posts here about successful conversion after loading XP with the IDE settings, but I couldn't seem to get it to work. My directions are for a new install of XP.

After successfully loading the floppy version of the AHCI or RAID drivers, you can then use the Windows version of the Matrix Storage Manager.

As far as the JMicron drivers go (I do not use this for HDDs) I loaded the latest version from the Asus site for the P5B Deluxe WiFi MB.

Good luck,
Jim

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Antec P180 case, Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi, Conroe E6600, Scythe Infinity Heatsink w/ 120mm fan, 4 GB Corsair XMS2 (2 Twin 2x2048-6400C4), Seasonic M12 600W PSU, Gigabyte GeForce 7600 GT, Three WD Raptor 74 GB HDDs, Three WD Caviar RE2 500 GB HDDs as a RAID-5 array
kiklop
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/13/2006 3:23:00 AM # 22
Tim,
I couldn't reach the forum yesterday, so sorry for a late response.
Can you please tell what do you have listed in device manager as your IDE controller?
As i said, i didn't have any problems updating my drivers AFTER windows installation and if everything is right you should be able to do the same.

www.dyxum.com
Tim
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/14/2006 3:14:00 AM # 23
align="left">Kiklop/Cole,
I'm sorry for my late reply, but like you, I've not been able to get into the forum, either.  Seems like the server has been down.

I would like to first try to enable AHCI without having to reload XP; I really don't want to have to go through that process if possible.  So, I'm going to try Kiklop's suggestions first and see if it works.  If not, then I'll follow Cole's route.

I've got ten things going at once right now, so I'll have to reply back later today with the information on the IDE controllers.  I do feel like I've gotten the drivers messed up. 

I'm sorry for the delay; I really do appreciate your continued support on this issue.       Tim

-Asus P5B Deluxe (Rev. 1.03G) w/WiFi - Bios 1238 - Intel C2D E6600 - 2GB Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4 - Thermaltake Toughpower 650-watt PSU w/modular cabling - Two Western Digital 250GB Caviar SE16 WD250KS SATA II drives - one Hitachi 640GB Deskstar SATA II drive - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro & Artic Silver 5 - XFX 7600GT graphics card - Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 case - Windows 7 Professional
Tim
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/14/2006 4:20:00 AM # 24
align="left">Kiklop,
The following controllers are listed
In the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers:

- Intel ICH8R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
(file details lists the driver as being iaStor.sys)

- Intel ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820
(file details lists the drivers as being atapi.sys; pciide.sys; and pciidex.sys)

When I tried to download the Intel driver from the P5B CD into the first controller, the iastor.sys driver was listed along with iaahci.inf.  I selected iaahci.inf, but iastor.sys was downloaded instead when I clicked on OK.  I tried at least three times, but couldn't get the iaahci.inf file to download.  I'm thinking this might not really be a driver after all.

Before I downloaded the Intel file to the first controller, the controller's description used to be just like the second one, except it was shown as being 2 port instead of 4.  My two SATA hard drives are plugged into the SATA 1 and SATA 2 connectors on the P5B.

I assume the first controller (2-port) is managing both the SATA drives and that the second controller manages the remaining 4 unused ports, and therefore, isn't a concern here.

I think there's no doubt I've got a driver mess that needs to be sorted out.    Tim

-Asus P5B Deluxe (Rev. 1.03G) w/WiFi - Bios 1238 - Intel C2D E6600 - 2GB Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4 - Thermaltake Toughpower 650-watt PSU w/modular cabling - Two Western Digital 250GB Caviar SE16 WD250KS SATA II drives - one Hitachi 640GB Deskstar SATA II drive - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro & Artic Silver 5 - XFX 7600GT graphics card - Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 case - Windows 7 Professional

Posted:12/15/2006 3:34:00 PM # 25
Tim,

I just tried the process myself and it does work.

You need to update the drivers on
- Intel ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820

as well.  Your drives are on port 1 and 2 of this controller.  The first controller is the 4 port, the second is for ports 5 and 6.

When it comes time to pick a new driver, you should pick
Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller
for the ICH8R as per this link

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/CS-012304.htm

Intel does not support this but it seems to work on my machine.

Later,

Regardie

Tim
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/17/2006 2:56:00 AM # 26
align="left">Regardie,
Thanks for your reply and pointing out that it's the 4-port controller managing my two SATA drives and not the 2-port.  After updating the 4-port controller driver with the AHCI driver from the P5B's CD, I rebooted and changed the IDE configuration in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI.  After this reboot, the system "found new hardware" and installed and configured the SATA II drives successfully.

I was then able to successfully download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager that I wasn't able to download before.   The  Matrix Storage Console shows that the  "Current Serial ATA transfer mode" of the drives is "Second Generation", so I should be getting the 3.0 Gb/sec speeds they're capable of achieving.  The only question is that the console also shows a "No" on the "NCQ Support" line.  I've assumed Western Digital WD2500KS 250 Gb SATA II hard drives support NCQ, but maybe not.  The WD website isn't real clear on this question, so I've sent an email to their tech support asking if NCQ is or isn't support for this model drive.  I will post a reply after I hear back from them.  Whether NCQ is or isn't supported isn't as important to me as getting the drives running at the 3.0 Gb/sec speed. 

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions from all those people who replied to my original question.  I was very happy to be able to enable the AHCI features without having to reload XP.  There must have been a lot of interest in this topic since it has been viewed more than 1,100 times since first posted.  Thanks again to you all... Tim

kiklop
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/18/2006 5:06:00 PM # 27
I'm glad you made it :)
As far for NCQ for my seagate HDD it does state yes. I'm not familiar with the disk you have but this page
http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200507/20050705WD2500KS_1.html
states that NCQ isn't implemented for this drive.

www.dyxum.com
mark
Level :
Posted:1/17/2007 11:49:00 AM # 28
Thank you everyone that contributed to this thread. It is really appreciated

I followed kiklop's steps and now have 3 drives running in true SATA II mode - without an XP re-install.

Also, i have a fourth drive in a 5 1/4 drive rack that is now hot-swappable. 

One note:  my drive in the rack was not hot-swappable, even after following the driver update steps, until i plugged into the JMicron port and installed the JMicron drivers from the ASUS CD.

Originially i had all four drives attached to SATA ports 1-4.  Having successfully updated the drivers,  I re-booted and changed to the BIOS to AHCI, but the drive in the rack was not hot-swappable. 

i powered down, and moved the drive to the JMicron port.  I then booted and changed the BIOS so that the JMicron port was also AHCI. 

Windows booted fine, but the drive in the rack was not recognized at all in Windows.  Looking in Device Manager, there were erros on the EID ports indicating a DMA conflict ("Error 12").  I installed the JMicron driver from the ASUS CD and all is well.

I can power the drive in the rack on and off at any time.  I'll use it as a backup drive and for expandable storage.

thanks again.

Zoltan
Level :
Posted:2/27/2007 10:08:00 PM # 29
I just wanted to say a big thnx for kyklop :-)
I've used his method to switch to AHCI, but I made a very small modification also, which can be also useful. I used the most recent drivers which are available on the Intel website. The only issue is that the floppy intended for the F6 use should be phisically created using a floppy drive. But once the floppy has been created you can copy the files to the harddisk and dor the same job as Kyklop described. Of course the floppy can be created on a different computer, which has nothing to do with the P5B but has a floppy drive :-)

I used the SqlIOSim utility from the Microsoft for testing; the IDE version was unstable, which was even worse when I switched the Jmicron on. But with the AHCI it works just fine. Anyway I'm using the Samsung HD300LJ in the SATA1 mode. Somehow SATA2 was also unstable for me.

So thanks for this topic, Tim

Regards
Zoltan

Posted:3/5/2007 3:12:00 PM # 30
The more I read all these posts the more I get confused (the reason may be my bad English)

My two HDDs ( both with 2 partitions) are connected to SATA1 and SATA2, in BIOS „Configure SATA As AHCI“ is activated, both drives can be seen in BIOS. On diskette I have the Windows* INF File for Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver (Version 6.0.0.1022).

I want to install a brand new XP Pro. At the beginning of the installation I activate F6 and later I choose the „ICH8R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller“. Nevertheless I did not select a Raid Driver the installation creates a Raid system. After finishing the installation Windows shows me only one drive.

I tried the installation with only one drive connected to SATA1, it worked without any problems. But it was not possible to activate it in Windows after connected it to SATA2.

What did I wrong? I want to use both drives (with all partitions) as single drives. Is it possible (and how) to switch from IDE to AHCI under a running XP system?

Is it possible that anybody writes down a clear understandable procedure how to switch to AHCI (either under running XP Pro or with a complete new installation)?

Configuration: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600; Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP (BIOS 1101); 2x DDR-2 512MB 667 MHz; 2x Seagate ST 3160811 S-ATA; Sapphire Radeon X550 A DVI/TV; DVD-RW LG GSA-H10N; FritzCard PCI; Hauppauge WinTV PCI-FM; Monitor Maxdata Belinea 101920
First  Prev  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.